Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle ???

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle ???

Gary

The "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" DVD reminds me of how Bad Santa
got hyped when the DVDs came out (Bad Santa/Bader Santa).

This one also has two Widescreen Editions.

(1) Rated R - 88 minutes (same runtime as the theatrical release of the
movie.)

(2) Unrated - 88 or 90 minutes (some dispute by reviewers as to the actual
running time.)

The three reviewers that I read, of the Extreme Unrated DVD version, never
saw the movie in the theater. They have no idea if the Unrated one has more
pure movie "running time" than the R Rated DVD. The IMDB says the theatrical
release of the film ran 88 minutes. One thing is certain, there are more
extras on the Unrated version and supposedly has an extreme commentary
track.

QUESTION:

Does the Unrated DVD have some added footage that was edited out of the
theatrical release of the film?

Gary

More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more confused.

http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml

The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD includes all of
the above special features, as well as the features below (exclusive to the
Extreme Unrated edition):

Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard

Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]

How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different and still have
the same runtime? Unless they only added seconds of unrated frames to the
rated edition.

napalm68

I guess just like american pie. It had the same running time I think, just a
different shot with him mounting the pie or something

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more confused.
>
> http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml
>

> The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD includes all of
> the above special features, as well as the features below (exclusive to
> the
> Extreme Unrated edition):
>
> Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
> All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
> Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard
>
> Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
> 88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]
>

> How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different and still have
> the same runtime? Unless they only added seconds of unrated frames to the
> rated edition.

Lithurge

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more
> confused.
>
> http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml
>

> The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD
> includes all of the above special features, as well as the
> features below (exclusive to the Extreme Unrated edition):
>
> Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
> All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
> Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard
>
> Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
> 88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]
>

> How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
> and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
> seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.

Substitution?

e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.

It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

Gary

It would be interesting to have someone compare the two and detail what the
differences are.

"Lithurge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > More Info. I should have checked first. But I'm even more
> > confused.
> >
> > http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/titles/haroldkumar.shtml
> >

> > The Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Extreme Unrated DVD
> > includes all of the above special features, as well as the
> > features below (exclusive to the Extreme Unrated edition):
> >
> > Widescreen UNRATED version of the film "Extreme" outtakes
> > All Too Much/"Yeah" music video
> > Bonus "Extreme" commentary track by Danny Bouchard
> >
> > Run Time 88 Minutes [R-Rated DVD]
> > 88 Minutes [Extreme Unrated DVD]
> >

> > How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
> > and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
> > seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.
> >

> Substitution?
>
> e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
> digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.
>
> It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

Invid Fan

In article <Xns95D1814B1E83Cds34543dsffds@130.133.1.4>, Lithurge
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
> > and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
> > seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.
> >

> Substitution?
>
> e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
> digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.
>
> It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

In the olden days they actually filmed two versions, so no digital
painting was needed. This was so you could still show it on tv while
having the "big" scenes intact. This leads to a continuity error in
Animal House, in the scene where Otter is making out with a girl in the
car. In the R version she's topless, but when she jumps out she has the
bra on she's wearing in the tv version.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

napalm68

Oh yeah, another example is the american "unrated" version of Dawn of the
Dead (2004) where they digitally drench blood onto the car windscreen to
obscure a pair of tits, and the amount of blood spoils continuity. Not to
mention the actual unrated versions outside of the US had the tits and
continuity.

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:010120051327136397%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Xns95D1814B1E83Cds34543dsffds@130.133.1.4>, Lithurge
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>> > How can both the unrated and R rated versions be different
>> > and still have the same runtime? Unless they only added
>> > seconds of unrated frames to the rated edition.
>> >

>> Substitution?
>>
>> e.g. some shots in the R girl next door had bikini tops
>> digitally painted on, whilst the unrated, obviously, didn't.
>>
>> It's the kind of trick you got used to under the BBFC.

> In the olden days they actually filmed two versions, so no digital
> painting was needed. This was so you could still show it on tv while
> having the "big" scenes intact. This leads to a continuity error in
> Animal House, in the scene where Otter is making out with a girl in the
> car. In the R version she's topless, but when she jumps out she has the
> bra on she's wearing in the tv version.
>
> --
> Chris Mack "Refugee, total ****. That's how I've always seen us.
> 'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
> -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

ANN: Folder Castle 2.2 - Protect Your Files and Peace of Mind AnSad76@gmail.com Computer Security 0 07-09-2008 06:35 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, THE HOBART SHAKESPEAREANS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 03-23-2006 09:25 AM
Dover Castle Site Paul Maskell Firefox 3 03-06-2005 10:09 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: SPIDER-MAN 2, HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE: EXTREME UNRATED EDITION, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 01-24-2005 10:26 AM
Examples of using Bouncy Castle to decrypt PGP files Apollo Java 0 11-29-2003 02:12 AM

Advertisments