Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > what type of file is this?

what type of file is this?

MauiJNP

I don't know what type of files I get when I record to dvd-rws or dvd-rs
with a standalone recorder. how do I find this out? thanks

Steve

They should be standard VOB, BUP and IFO files inside the VIDEO_TS folder,
the same as standard DVDs.
I have seen some that have an extra folder in the root of the disc instead
of a AUDIO_TS. But the VIDEO_TS has to be there with the VOB, BUP and IFO
files inside.
You can see these if you have a computer with a DVD-Rom drive.
UB

"MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know what type of files I get when I record to dvd-rws or dvd-rs
> with a standalone recorder. how do I find this out? thanks

MauiJNP

ok, that is what they are. now, how do I burn those onto a DVDr so that
they play in any standard dvd player?
thanks

news:SNnBd.29$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They should be standard VOB, BUP and IFO files inside the VIDEO_TS folder,
> the same as standard DVDs.
> I have seen some that have an extra folder in the root of the disc instead
> of a AUDIO_TS. But the VIDEO_TS has to be there with the VOB, BUP and IFO
> files inside.
> You can see these if you have a computer with a DVD-Rom drive.
> UB
>
> "MauiJNP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I don't know what type of files I get when I record to dvd-rws or dvd-rs
>> with a standalone recorder. how do I find this out? thanks

MauiJNP

>> I don't know what type of files I get when I record to dvd-rws or dvd-rs
>> with a standalone recorder. how do I find this out? thanks
>>

> They should be standard VOB, BUP and IFO files inside the VIDEO_TS folder,
> the same as standard DVDs.
> I have seen some that have an extra folder in the root of the disc instead
> of a AUDIO_TS. But the VIDEO_TS has to be there with the VOB, BUP and IFO
> files inside.
> You can see these if you have a computer with a DVD-Rom drive.

ok, here's the deal. the files were not inside a folder with the name
VIDEO_TS

the disc was a dvdrw disc that was formatted in VR mode, not VIDEO mode.

Do I have to format the discs in VIDEO mode in order to copy them to a DVDr
with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink?

I already have a bunch of stuff on DVDrw's that were formatted in VR mode.
Is there anyway to save this stuff?

What is the purpose of VIDEO mode? My manual says use VR mode to record,
edit and reuse repeatedly. That is what I want to do. For VIDEO mode, it
says use it when you want to erase all the data on the disc once played back
to record new data. It doesn't say whether or not you can edit this way or
if it is ok to reuse over and over, like with VR mode.

I hope this all makes sense. thanks for any help. I am pulling my hair out
with this.