Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > backing up a scratched DVD?

backing up a scratched DVD?

peter

My friend asked me to salvage a scratched DVD that's very hard to find.
I read about ways to buff out the scratch, but since I have never done it, I
would like to backup the DVD as much as possible before I attempt the
scratch repair.

I used a program called isobuster to copy all the files in video_ts onto a
hard drive. One of the vob file has about 500 read errors which I told the
program to ignore. This would probably cause the video to go berserk
somewhere, but there is a large portion of non damaged video.

Now I would like to create a dvdr with the files in the video_ts directory.
Unfortunately, they don't fit on a dvdr. So I try to apply dvdshrink to
these file but while scanning the files, dvdshrink says it can't find some
VOB file (which doesn't exist). If I create a dummy VOB file with that name,
it ask for the next one, etc. I think dvdshrink is tripped by the error in
that one vob file and cannot recover from it.

If I use dvdshrink in the re-author mode, it shows only one "main movie" --
the one with no error and does not show the other movie that contains one of
the error vob.

I'm stuck now. Is there another software I could use to shrink and burn the
files to dvdr?

Guncho

I find rubbing with toothpaste under running water is good for taking
out scratches.

Chris

Sugar Mouse

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My friend asked me to salvage a scratched DVD that's very hard to find.
> I read about ways to buff out the scratch, but since I have never done it,
> I would like to backup the DVD as much as possible before I attempt the
> scratch repair.
>
> I used a program called isobuster to copy all the files in video_ts onto a
> hard drive. One of the vob file has about 500 read errors which I told the
> program to ignore. This would probably cause the video to go berserk
> somewhere, but there is a large portion of non damaged video.
>
> Now I would like to create a dvdr with the files in the video_ts
> directory. Unfortunately, they don't fit on a dvdr. So I try to apply
> dvdshrink to these file but while scanning the files, dvdshrink says it
> can't find some VOB file (which doesn't exist). If I create a dummy VOB
> file with that name, it ask for the next one, etc. I think dvdshrink is
> tripped by the error in that one vob file and cannot recover from it.
>
> If I use dvdshrink in the re-author mode, it shows only one "main
> movie" -- the one with no error and does not show the other movie that
> contains one of the error vob.
>
> I'm stuck now. Is there another software I could use to shrink and burn
> the files to dvdr?

There is a product on the market for scratched Glasses lenses at the moment,
which guarentees not to change the perscription (I'll believe that if I saw
it). Can't remember the name, but if anyone knows of it, and has tried it on
a CD/DVD, I'd be very interested in the results, since I have a CD with one
scratch on it, unfortunatly, it's a disc I bought for two songs, and the
scratch is over my favourite song, Sod's law strikes again!!!

If it works, it may help the original poster.

Nathan.

--
Find a better way of life at

www.discovermarbles.com

disturbedlink@ignmail.com

I also have a similar problem to that. I used a dvd recorder to make
some movies and then when i went to finalize the dics everything went
fine. but when i go back to play it the movies stops and does not even
play. I then tried iso buster and when it tried to recover it just
stops right in the middle every time. any thoughts on that as well

disturbedlink@ignmail.com

yeah i would do that but friends i dont have to many of. however one of
my friends has this all region dvd player and that plays almost the
whole dam thing. thing is the whole player is copy protected. not even
the disc the whole player. i cant even tape the menue. so what i did
was i emailed some companys that restore data and i figure that since
so dvd players play more then others i would guess for a big company it
would not even be a problem to put it on a RW disc. i just hope its
not alot of money.

Omarichu

Yes, take better care of your DVD's, you lazy ****.