Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars DVD matte problems?

Star Wars DVD matte problems?

Stychentyme

Okay. I just got the Star Wars DVD boxset for christmas, and I noticed
something strange.

On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to be
more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really see
the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. Sometimes you
can barely see them,.... but other times, they are obviously there!

I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be?... or did I just get
a bum copy? I thought they were supposed to clean all this stuff up for the
DVD release? Overall, it seems like they have cleaned it up quite a
bit,..... but that sequence is really bad. Has anyone else noticed what I'm
describing?

I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I need
to get a new one.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Pug Fugley

Sound & Vision did a big article about that exact thing recently, it's just
a product of the resoration that was done.

"Stychentyme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Okay. I just got the Star Wars DVD boxset for christmas, and I noticed
> something strange.
>
> On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to

be
> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
> heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

see
> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. Sometimes

you
> can barely see them,.... but other times, they are obviously there!
>
> I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be?... or did I just

get
> a bum copy? I thought they were supposed to clean all this stuff up for

the
> DVD release? Overall, it seems like they have cleaned it up quite a
> bit,..... but that sequence is really bad. Has anyone else noticed what

I'm
> describing?
>
> I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I need
> to get a new one.
>
> Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Jake Patterson

Stychentyme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I need
> to get a new one.

My guess is that if you get a new TV, it will be even more visible.

Stychentyme

I don't suppose you have a link to that article, do you? ;o)

"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWCAd.1583$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Sound & Vision did a big article about that exact thing recently, it's

just
> a product of the resoration that was done.
>

> "Stychentyme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Okay. I just got the Star Wars DVD boxset for christmas, and I noticed
> > something strange.
> >
> > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem

> be
> > more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after

our
> > heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

> see
> > the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. Sometimes

> you
> > can barely see them,.... but other times, they are obviously there!
> >
> > I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be?... or did I just

> get
> > a bum copy? I thought they were supposed to clean all this stuff up for

> the
> > DVD release? Overall, it seems like they have cleaned it up quite a
> > bit,..... but that sequence is really bad. Has anyone else noticed what

> I'm
> > describing?
> >
> > I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I

need
> > to get a new one.
> >
> > Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Erling Groes-Petersen

"Jake Patterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:cqv4ge$gd57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stychentyme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have an old TV as well,....... maybe that's part of the problem. I

need
> > to get a new one.

> My guess is that if you get a new TV, it will be even more visible.

Could perhaps be a calibration problem too - if brightness/contrast is set
too high, it may bring it out in a way not intended.

Del March

<< > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to
be
> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
> heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

see
> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. >><BR><BR>

These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the theaters.
You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to fix. Why don't
they?

Mike Kohary

Del March wrote:
> << > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the
> spaceships seem to be
>> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues
>> after our heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,.....
>> I can really

> see
>> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots.

> These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the
> theaters.

Time has taken its toll. I also don't remember them in the theaters.

> You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to
> fix. Why don't they?

That's the question of the century. It wouldn't just be easy, it would be
*trivial*. For all the messing Lucas does with these great movies, and he
can't fix one of the simplest, most inexcusable flaws about them?

Joshua Zyber

"Stychentyme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem
> to be
> more visible than before.

Your TV's brightness is set too high. Buy a calibration disc.

Nick

Funny you should mention this, my r2 box set seems very dark - I have to
turn my (new) tv's brightness right up and even then its not that bright -
not the case with other dvd's

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4MSAd.2652$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Stychentyme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to
>> be
>> more visible than before.

> Your TV's brightness is set too high. Buy a calibration disc.

Dyuob Poltice

On 30 Dec 2004 03:59:20 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ITEME (Del March) wrote:

><< > On the 'A New Hope' disc some of the mattes around the spaceships seem to
>be
>> more visible than before. In the TIE fighter battle that ensues after our
>> heroes escape the Death Star in the Millenium Falcon,..... I can really

>see
>> the mattes around the TIE fighters in some of the SFX shots. >><BR><BR>

>These are on the laserdisc too. I don't remember seeing them in the theaters.
>You would think in the digital realm, this would be easy to fix. Why don't
>they?

I remember them from the original theatrical run.