Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Special editions and Deluxe special edition dvd question.

Special editions and Deluxe special edition dvd question.

Rclrk43

I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But everytime a
Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the super
deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and I'm
sure 100s of others do to. When is it enough? Must we have 3 or more versions
of the same Dvd to get the latest extra features?
Thanks

Rich Clark

"Rclrk43" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But
>everytime a
> Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the
> super
> deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and
> I'm
> sure 100s of others do to. When is it enough? Must we have 3 or more
> versions
> of the same Dvd to get the latest extra features?

Well, yeah. And when HD discs hit the market you get to do it all again.

This is nothing new, and it won't end. One day I suppose more and more
people will rent their media on an on-demand streaming basis, and then new
special features will be sold a la carte, but as long as we insist on
collecting the physical media, yeah, what other way can we get new versions
than to buy them?

There are a handful of lifetime favorite movies I've owned in multiple VHS,
Laserdisc, and DVD editions. It's my choice, I do it with open eyes, and
nobody's holding a gun to my head. It's up to me whether I perceive
sufficient value in the new version to buy the title again.

You can always just rent the new version, or sell the old one and buy the
new one.

RichC

Mark Spatny

Rclrk43,(E-Mail Removed) says...
> When is it enough? Must we have 3 or more versions
> of the same Dvd to get the latest extra features?

No, you don't have to have 3 versions. Buy the first one, enjoy the
movie, and be happy. With the exception of the LOTR special editions, I
have yet to see a 2nd "special" release that had enough in it to make me
interested in buying it. You see, I buy the DVD to enjoy the movie.
Generally speaking, extra commentaries, trailers, "making ofs", and
deleted scenes don't interest me. I hardly ever watch them. So I enjoy
my cheap "movie only" release, and watch the rest of the world act like
somebody is putting a gun to their head when the deluxe set comes out.

Derek Janssen

Mark Spatny wrote:

>>When is it enough? Must we have 3 or more versions
>>of the same Dvd to get the latest extra features?

> No, you don't have to have 3 versions. Buy the first one, enjoy the
> movie, and be happy. With the exception of the LOTR special editions, I
> have yet to see a 2nd "special" release that had enough in it to make me
> interested in buying it. You see, I buy the DVD to enjoy the movie.
> Generally speaking, extra commentaries, trailers, "making ofs", and
> deleted scenes don't interest me. I hardly ever watch them. So I enjoy
> my cheap "movie only" release, and watch the rest of the world act like
> somebody is putting a gun to their head when the deluxe set comes out.

Yeah--
Who needs those fancy Warner (quote-fingers) "remasterings", when a
one-disk bare-bones MGM "Singin' in the Rain" is good enough for anybody!

Derek Janssen (remember, in some cases, it's called "studio penance" and
"restitution")

Derek Janssen

Rclrk43 wrote:

> I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But everytime a
> Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the super
> deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and I'm
> sure 100s of others do to.

And if you actually mentioned a few examples, your post wouldn't be so
generic.

However, keep in mind, the "Now with MOVIE TICKET enclosed!" reissue
edition is but one of five types of Special Editions--
The other four types have a full right to exist.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Michael Rogers

Some movies are good enough for improved versions, some are not. I play
it by ear. Sometimes an improved version is desperataly needed and
welcomed (like the anamorphic re-release of The Thing). But "remastered"
versions were done all the time with music, so why shouldn't video be
any different.

I let the improvements and additional features tell me if it's worth
buying in any case.

Derek Janssen wrote:

> Rclrk43 wrote:
>
> > I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But everytime a
> > Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the super
> > deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and I'm
> > sure 100s of others do to.

> And if you actually mentioned a few examples, your post wouldn't be so
> generic.
>
> However, keep in mind, the "Now with MOVIE TICKET enclosed!" reissue
> edition is but one of five types of Special Editions--
> The other four types have a full right to exist.
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

Justin

Michael Rogers wrote on [Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:04:29 GMT]:
> Some movies are good enough for improved versions, some are not. I play
> it by ear. Sometimes an improved version is desperataly needed and
> welcomed (like the anamorphic re-release of The Thing). But "remastered"
> versions were done all the time with music, so why shouldn't video be
> any different.
>
> I let the improvements and additional features tell me if it's worth
> buying in any case.

So, who's going to pickup the ultimate Fifth Element DVD?

G Johnston

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:28:29 -0800, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rclrk43 wrote:
>
>> I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But everytime a
>> Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the super
>> deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and I'm
>> sure 100s of others do to.

>And if you actually mentioned a few examples, your post wouldn't be so
>generic.
>
>However, keep in mind, the "Now with MOVIE TICKET enclosed!" reissue
>edition is but one of five types of Special Editions--
>The other four types have a full right to exist.

One that comes to my mind is Starship Troopers. In the span of about
a year or so:

Original Release
2 Disc Special Edition
Superbit with DTS track

Jay G.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:28:29 -0800, Derek Janssen wrote:

> Rclrk43 wrote:
>
>> I know why the studios or distributors do this. One word MONEY. But everytime a
>> Dvd comes out special edition a few months down the road here comes the super
>> deluxe double disc edition. Matrix or Bourne Identitiy comes to mind and I'm
>> sure 100s of others do to.

> And if you actually mentioned a few examples, your post wouldn't be so
> generic.

He mentioned two. Of course, in both of those examples, only *two* versions
of the DVD have come out, so the "must we have 3 or more versions
of the same DVD?" argument doesn't hold water.

> However, keep in mind, the "Now with MOVIE TICKET enclosed!" reissue
> edition is but one of five types of Special Editions--
> The other four types have a full right to exist.

Fellowship of the Ring EE didn't have a right to exist?

-Jay