Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to make audio DVDs?

How to make audio DVDs?

LZernov

Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?

Thanks in advance!

Joe S

LZernov wrote:
> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD. You
can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use these
DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you damage it.

(Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set the
rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit rates
according to your taste.)

Joe

Nicholas Andrade

Joe S wrote:
> LZernov wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

> Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
> Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD. You
> can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use these
> DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you damage it.
>
> (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set the
> rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit rates
> according to your taste.)
>

> Joe

Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be found
on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands that allow
it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't expect the DVD to
play the music on a standard DVD player you will need a computer (or a
modded XBox...).

Joe S

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> Joe S wrote:
>
>> LZernov wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any way to back up a music CDs to blank DVD?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!

>> Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
>> Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD.
>> You can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use
>> these DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you
>> damage it.
>>
>> (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set
>> the rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit
>> rates according to your taste.)
>>

>> Joe

> Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
> personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
> encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be found
> on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands that allow
> it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't expect the DVD to
> play the music on a standard DVD player you will need a computer (or a
> modded XBox...).

How does the processing time and file size compare with WMA Lossless?

Joe

LZernov

Thank you very much!!!!

Chris

Here is a great program. I have used it a lot and I like it. I convert my
tape audio books to one DVD for on the road listening.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm

Nicholas Andrade

Joe S wrote:
> Nicholas Andrade wrote:
>
>> Joe S wrote:

>>> Use Media Player and set Rip options to use Windows Media Audio
>>> Lossless. Then burn the resulting files of many CDs to a single DVD.
>>> You can then play the music from the DVD using Media Player and use
>>> these DVDs as the source for recreating your original CD should you
>>> damage it.
>>>
>>> (Of course, if you don't care about perfect re-creation, you can set
>>> the rip format to whatever setting you like, WMA or MP3, various bit
>>> rates according to your taste.)
>>>

>>> Joe

>> Just as a side note, there are a number of other lossless formats;my
>> personal favorites are Shorten (very fast) and FLAC. A great Shorten
>> encoder/decoder is called MkW Audio Compression Toolkit and can be
>> found on etree.org (a site dedicated to trading live music of bands
>> that allow it -- eg. The Dead, DMB, Pearl Jam, etc.). Also don't
>> expect the DVD to play the music on a standard DVD player you will
>> need a computer (or a modded XBox...).

> How does the processing time and file size compare with WMA Lossless?
>

> Joe

With lossless codecs, file sizes approach a limit roughly 1/2 the size
of an uncompressed WAV due to inherant entropy in sound (likewise
different types of music work better with certain codecs). A while back
I found this great site for side by side comparisons of lossless codecs.
It was done prior to the release of WMA lossless (or the Apple
lossless), but the sizes and percentage differences between encoding
times are fairly accurate: http://www.firstpr.com.au/audiocomp/lossless/

Please note the system that the tests were performed on was a "500MHz
Celeron with 128MB of RAM and a 13Gig IDE hard disc". As I mentioned
prior, my favorite lossless format is Shorten (SHN), you can find the
tool I mentioned earlier here: http://etree.org/mkw.html

Clive Savage

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:38:55 -0600, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Here is a great program. I have used it a lot and I like it. I convert my
>tape audio books to one DVD for on the road listening.
>
>http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm

Would it not be possible to have a static picture with an audio track?

I know you can do this with dvdshrink (have a static picture instead
of video).

Bye for now.

Clive.

Biz

"Clive Savage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:38:55 -0600, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Here is a great program. I have used it a lot and I like it. I convert

my
> >tape audio books to one DVD for on the road listening.
> >
> >http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/index.htm

> Would it not be possible to have a static picture with an audio track?

Many dvd-a disks have EXACTLY that. But it isnt LPCM audio in any of the
cases I've seen, but it probably could be.