Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Burners - which one?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Burners - which one?

 
 
Daver
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
Pioneer 108 is supposed to be up there but for every format ie DVD Ram as
well LG 4160 is the one. Both can be had for under $150.
"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews

on
> DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
> Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
> $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
> terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
>
> I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
> various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

supposed
> to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
> Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug Ramage
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004

"POD {ҿ}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns95C655325FDB3WeAllLovePOD@212.159.2.87...
> The phone rang while Rick was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
> degree burn on their ear, visible for all in uk.media.dvd to guffaw
> over.
>
>> I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable
>> reviews on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is
>> that brands like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at
>> their price range (under $150). I have also heard about things like
>> "bit-setting" and other such terminologies which apparently improve
>> the way that a DVD is burnt.
>>
>> I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with
>> the various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
>> supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
>> or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>>
>>
>>

>
> Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500...nuff said
>
> --
> Another fine post from the semantically cute.....
>
> POD


I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.

If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bluegoose
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
I've had my Plextor PX-712A about two weeks and have been great luck with
compatability using DVD-r & DVD+r with my Sony Console DVD Player.
The copies also work on the cheap cyberhome DVD players.
Check out "DVDShrink.ORG"


"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews
> on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands
> like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range
> (under $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other
> such terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
>
> I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
> various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
> supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
> or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
Doug Ramage wrote:
> "POD {ҿ}" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns95C655325FDB3WeAllLovePOD@212.159.2.87...
>
>>The phone rang while Rick was doing the ironing, resulting in the 3rd
>>degree burn on their ear, visible for all in uk.media.dvd to guffaw
>>over.
>>
>>
>>>I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable
>>>reviews on DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is
>>>that brands like Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at
>>>their price range (under $150). I have also heard about things like
>>>"bit-setting" and other such terminologies which apparently improve
>>>the way that a DVD is burnt.
>>>
>>>I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with
>>>the various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is
>>>supposed to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R
>>>or -R)? Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500...nuff said
>>
>>--
>>Another fine post from the semantically cute.....
>>
>>POD

>
>
> I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
> I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
> However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.
>
> If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
> works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.



I added a NEC 3500 as well. It's working well. Got it plus a 50-pack of
Fuji DVD-R for $50 (after rebates) at PCConnection a couple of weeks ago.


Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
Dave wrote on [Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:13:22 -0000]:
>
> "Donald Link" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:49:46 GMT, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable

> reviews on
>> >DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
>> >Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range

> (under
>> >$150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
>> >terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
>> >
>> >I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with

> the
>> >various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

> supposed
>> >to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
>> >Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>> >
>> >

>>
>> Do not rule out Memorex. Have found them to be very reliable and no
>> trouble in using DVD shrink like some of the brands.

>
> Crap drives for burn reliabilty with cmc dyes and other budget media


"budget" media is another term for "only use if you don't care if it
works"?
 
Reply With Quote
 
sanpablo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004

>
>I went for the NEC 3500 over the Pioneer 108, as it is significantly faster.
>I can burn 8x Sony dvd-r at 16x, which means a full dvd in ~ 5.40 mins.
>However, the NEC 3520 is now out, but I have no experience of it.
>
>If you want/need dvd-ram, the LG 4163 is now out. I have the LG 4120 and it
>works fine. Not much point in getting the LG 4160, unless the price is low.


Does the LG-4160 handle DVD-RAM in the cartridge?, thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pug Fugley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004
Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.

But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.


"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've not had much luck finding a good website that gives reliable reviews

on
> DVD Burners, but I believe that the common concensus is that brands like
> Lite-On, LG, Pioneer and Plextor are desirable at their price range (under
> $150). I have also heard about things like "bit-setting" and other such
> terminologies which apparently improve the way that a DVD is burnt.
>
> I am after one that will not only backup DVDs but also for coping with the
> various protection methods of PC games. Also, which DVD format is

supposed
> to be the most compitable with standalone DVD players (DVD +R or -R)?
> Thanks for any help (or websites to visit) that you can offer.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004

"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vYWxd.5923$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
>
> But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.


Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?

btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating many
brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or Pioneer
DVD burner atm.

btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)? I
can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard for
them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on occasion
(I think).



 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Ramage
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vYWxd.5923$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
>>
>> But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

>
> Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?
>
> btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating
> many brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or
> Pioneer DVD burner atm.
>
> btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)? I
> can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard for
> them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on
> occasion (I think).
>
>
>


DVD-RAM discs should be available in Australia. Panasonic sell them on their
website, here in the UK. Have you tried their Australian website?

I don't think the Pioneer 109 is out yet, and the 108 is the previous
generation.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]


 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2004

"Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:vYWxd.5923$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> >> Pioneer 108 sells for around $80, can't beat.
> >>
> >> But no DVD burner will help you bypass copy protection.

> >
> > Well then, how about a normal CD writer to bypass game copy protection?
> >
> > btw, thanks for all your inputs ... it has made the task of eliminating
> > many brands a lot easier. I am down to getting either the latest LG or
> > Pioneer DVD burner atm.
> >
> > btw, are the DVD-RAM discs actually available in Australia (Adelaide)?

I
> > can't say I've seen them around, but then I haven't been looking hard

for
> > them either - are they in ready supply, as I'm sure to use them on
> > occasion (I think).
> >
> >
> >

>
> DVD-RAM discs should be available in Australia. Panasonic sell them on

their
> website, here in the UK. Have you tried their Australian website?
>
> I don't think the Pioneer 109 is out yet, and the 108 is the previous
> generation.


If the 109, which I assume is the 108's replacement is not out yet, how is
the 108 the previous generation?




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD recorders/burners with hard disks - which ones allow editing before burning to DVD-R? Dan E DVD Video 2 06-06-2005 03:05 PM
DVD Burners-suggestions requested joevan Computer Support 2 09-26-2004 06:34 PM
DVD burners; question about usage joevan Computer Support 8 09-02-2004 10:58 PM
dvd burners doS'ed Computer Support 5 07-28-2004 04:13 AM
DVD Burners Gareth Slee Computer Support 1 12-30-2003 09:53 PM



Advertisments