Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster officially drops VHS?

Reply
Thread Tools

Blockbuster officially drops VHS?

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004
I think I caught tail end of this news
today, but I'm not sure. If they do this,
are they THEN going to bring in decent
numbers of pre-existing DVD movies, instead
of just new releases and blockbusters???

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Omarichu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
They're dropping their late fees.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shive
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:17 -0500, RichA wrote:

> I think I caught tail end of this news today, but I'm not sure. If they do
> this, are they THEN going to bring in decent numbers of pre-existing DVD
> movies, instead of just new releases and blockbusters???


That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
stock.

Remember back in the times when a chain gun, 50 thousand
rounds of ammo and a fast car didn't equal a plot?

Shive

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neill Massello
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
Shive <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
> crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
> With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
> stock.


Yes, Blockbuster's biggest problem isn't price or even convenience, but
the dismal lack of selection in the typical BB outlet.

There are more than four thousand BB locations in the United States --
four of them within five miles of my house in the suburbs of a
medium-sized city. That means no one of them is going to have much of
anything besides mass-market junk, new or old.

Had Blockbuster consolidated many of those retail outlets years ago and
set up warehouse and mailing centers near large urban areas, they could
have had Netflix for breakfast. But a lot of BB's retail outlets are
franchisees, and my guess is that Blockbuster found itself boxed in by
those franchising agreements, unable to use its name and ubiquity to
compete aggressively in the online rental market. Now it's is being
being squeezed by digital cable, providing more convenience to the mass
market, and online rentals, providing more titles to those who want
something other than the latest Hollywood crap.

 
Reply With Quote
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:10:44 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Neill
Massello) wrote:

>Shive <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> That is exactly why I use Netflix. I could care less about the current
>> crap coming out of Hollycrud (with the occasional exception, of course).
>> With Netflix I can get all those oldies but goodies and they are always in
>> stock.

>
>Yes, Blockbuster's biggest problem isn't price or even convenience, but
>the dismal lack of selection in the typical BB outlet.
>
>There are more than four thousand BB locations in the United States --
>four of them within five miles of my house in the suburbs of a
>medium-sized city. That means no one of them is going to have much of
>anything besides mass-market junk, new or old.
>
>Had Blockbuster consolidated many of those retail outlets years ago and
>set up warehouse and mailing centers near large urban areas, they could
>have had Netflix for breakfast. But a lot of BB's retail outlets are
>franchisees, and my guess is that Blockbuster found itself boxed in by
>those franchising agreements, unable to use its name and ubiquity to
>compete aggressively in the online rental market. Now it's is being
>being squeezed by digital cable, providing more convenience to the mass
>market, and online rentals, providing more titles to those who want
>something other than the latest Hollywood crap.


In fact, in Toronto, Canada it was either Blockbuster or the scum
Rogers Video who said that they would start carrying less "off brand"
and independent DVDs and concentrate on mainstream Hollywood movies.
Are their stores now going to shrink to 20' x 20' kiosks?
-Rich
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Anders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2004

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think I caught tail end of this news
> today, but I'm not sure. If they do this,
> are they THEN going to bring in decent
> numbers of pre-existing DVD movies, instead
> of just new releases and blockbusters???
>


"What's wrong with leaving things like the Debt and
pollution to future generations? It's more
likely advances in science and the evolution of
economic systems will make it FAR easier for
them to handle these issues than the current generation, so
leave it for them and don't feel bad about it.
-Rich"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Connection Drops, then connects, drops... garywi Wireless Networking 1 02-12-2009 02:26 PM
RIP HD-DVD -Toshiba Officially Drops HD DVD Simon Gronow DVD Video 103 02-25-2008 12:56 PM
Blockbuster posts loss, drops forecast. Allan DVD Video 13 08-13-2005 06:12 PM
Blockbuster: Drops DVD Rental Prices Again. One-Shot Scot DVD Video 3 10-22-2004 07:44 PM
OT: The Officially MCNGP Sponsored =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 10 07-30-2004 05:32 PM



Advertisments