Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ??? about problems playing DVDs

Reply
Thread Tools

??? about problems playing DVDs

 
 
PETERWOJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005
>I have also found that DVD-Rs last just about a year.
>Soon yours will become unplayable in any device, including the device you
>used to record them.


Total nonsense. I have program called K-probe which will read whole DVD disc
and will tell you how many errors the disc has. Now the errors are normal and
can be corrected unles there are too many of them. I scan every disc I record
and some have way too many errors to be reliable. In that case I record again.
There are some brands that just don't work reliably. On the other hand discs
which recorded properly, even after a year show the same scan with the same
amount of errors. Maybe you keep your discs in a car and exposing them to
high/low temperature etc. I've seen CD's going bad after few years of being
stored in a car but never seen DVD going bad when stored in the house yet. I
use both DVD-R and DVD+R and have not seen huge differences between them
either. Not sure why you have such a bad experience totally different from
mine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pug Fugley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2005

"James News" <(E-Mail Removed)-ee-tee> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I have also found that DVD-Rs last just about a year.
> Soon yours will become unplayable in any device, including the device you
> used to record them.



GUH??

I've got some DVD-R's almost 3 years old that still work fine. That's total
horseshit.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zypher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005
I haven't tried it, [play an older DVD-R] but I thought they were to last
and last. If they have a short life span then what's so great about them?

--
Zyp
"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:93_Dd.1833$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>
> "James News" <(E-Mail Removed)-ee-tee> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have also found that DVD-Rs last just about a year.
> > Soon yours will become unplayable in any device, including the device

you
> > used to record them.

>
>
> GUH??
>
> I've got some DVD-R's almost 3 years old that still work fine. That's

total
> horseshit.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005
Zypher wrote:
> I haven't tried it, [play an older DVD-R] but I thought they were to last
> and last. If they have a short life span then what's so great about them?
>



What makes you think they have a short lifespan? One poster claims *his*
recordings only last a year. You should be suspicious of anyone who
makes a general pronouncement based upon his singular experience with
one drive.

"We don't know because they haven't been around for a very long time"
does not equate to "short lifespan".


Joe
 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Barry Bruyea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2005
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 05:02:12 GMT, "Zypher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I haven't tried it, [play an older DVD-R] but I thought they were to last
>and last. If they have a short life span then what's so great about them?



All evidence suggests that DVD's will last a hell of a lot longer than
VHS tapes. The poster that suggests otherwise probably kept his in a
sunny window.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2005
E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 05:02:12 GMT, "Zypher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried it, [play an older DVD-R] but I thought they were to
>> last and last. If they have a short life span then what's so great
>> about them?

>
> All evidence suggests that DVD's will last a hell of a lot longer than
> VHS tapes. The poster that suggests otherwise probably kept his in a
> sunny window.


DVD <> DVD-R. There are serious questions about the longevity of
home-burned DVDs, which use dyes that fade rather than the physical and
permanent pits of a professionally replicated DVD.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problems playing dvds, please help! stewart260@yahoo.com Computer Support 5 01-18-2005 08:36 PM
Playing DVDs in Media player 9 Silent Bob. Computer Support 1 09-27-2004 05:20 PM
trouble playing dvds barry crowley Computer Support 4 02-17-2004 12:54 AM



Advertisments