Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Latest Harry Potter any good?

Latest Harry Potter any good?

Derek Janssen

Mark McGee wrote:

> When I saw it initially, I hated it because of the differences in a lot of
> the things around the school, but the more I think about it, and watching it
> again, I realize that this version is closest to what Ms. Rowling's vision
> of Harry Potter is. Hopefully all of the remaining films will keep this
> vision. Of course, with the books starting to be much darker with Book 3,
> it's only natural that the films will be, too.

And even though I'd seen it in theaters, it wasn't until the DVD viewing
to finally realize "what that big clock-pendulum thing is doing there"...
It's a PLOT FORESHADOWING hint, idiot!!

Derek Janssen (d'ohh!)

Rob Mac

"Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you
>>> never read the book then don't worry.

>> What two important things were left out?

> The most egregious omission was not explaining who the makers of the map
> were. I supposed someone could read between the lines and figure out who
> Prongs, Padfoot, etc. were, but it really should've been explained.
>
> Mike Jackson
> Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
> www.dvdverdict.com

This was my single complaint about the film version....the makers of the map
are important to know!
If you're a fan it's a bit of a slap in the face, but I suppose if you're
not a book-fan and don't know then
you really can't miss it, but it goes a long way to explain why Lupin left
the map with Harry.

The relocation (re-envisioning) of the Whomping Willow and Hagrid's Hut
miffed me at first, but I've
gotten over it and chalk it up to Hogwart's being a school of witchcraft &
wizardry...maybe Dumbledore
rearranged the grounds to keep it interesting, after all, the staircases
rearrange themselves and Dumbledore
can change his appearance (sorry....but I had to say it).

With GOF I have heard that the Dursley's are out (shame since I like to hate
them so much - and the actors
are none to happy, or so I've heard) and while the Quidditch World Cup would
be fun to see, for pacing
purposes I won't be upset if it's gone, but they better be faithful to the
Tri-Wizard Tournament and end of
the book (He Who Must Not Be Named's return - along with some surprise
saviors)....

Joshua Zyber

"Jay Moseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Firebolt was delivered in the book right after Harry is injured
> and his broom was destroyed. Not only that, in the book Harry had seen
> the new firebolt in a display window in Diagon Alley during the
> extended period of time he is staying alone in London before his
> friends arrive and they all head back to Hogwarts. The plot element of
> the gift Firebolt extends for many chapters as it is "confiscated" as
> a possible danger, resulting in a tiff between Hermione and Ron.

Oh my god, they dared to change or omit a single word from the 900 page
book! How dare they, the evil bastards? Let's hunt them all down and
kill them!

Dick Sidbury

Jay Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:06:59 -0800, "Mike Jackson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote:
>

>>>In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
>>>since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

>>I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
>>you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
>>Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
>>his escape, did he?

> The Firebolt was delivered in the book right after Harry is injured
> and his broom was destroyed. Not only that, in the book Harry had seen
> the new firebolt in a display window in Diagon Alley during the
> extended period of time he is staying alone in London before his
> friends arrive and they all head back to Hogwarts. The plot element of
> the gift Firebolt extends for many chapters as it is "confiscated" as
> a possible danger, resulting in a tiff between Hermione and Ron.

While all this is true, as far as I remember, is any of it really
important to the story being told?

> Not only did Harry receive a permission slip from Sirius at the end of
> the book, it was delivered by a small owl that becomes Ron's new pet,
> now that Scabbers is out of the picture. How do they plan to explain
> the owl in the coming movies?

They may not have to. Clearly Scabbers is no longer Ron's (whatever you
call it) he'll have to have a new one. So it must either be a rat, owl,
or cat. I haven't read any of the books except POA, but is the source
of this owl important?

dick

Dick Sidbury

George wrote:
> The movie is great with lots of wonderful special effects. I wish they'd
> used the old set for the school, though. The "new" Hogwarts looks nothing
> like the old, and Hagrid's house has been moved to the side of a huge bare
> (scottish) hillside. The dark forest is nowhere to be seen. This is a bit
> confusing if you don't realise that there is a completely new director, and
> I think it interferes with the continuity of the series, sort of like
> turning on a Star Wars movie and finding the storm troopers dressed in
> purple. Also the kids are all running around the school wearing jeans,
> which just wouldn't happen in an English public school.

Is Hogwarts an English public school? And even if it is, being the kind
of school that it is, is it clear that students wouldn't wear jeans on
their own time?

> If you lay aside the authenticity, however, it is a great movie.
> George

Authenticity meaning faithfulness to the book or faithfulness to the
concepts?

dick

Dick Sidbury

Rob Mac wrote:
> "Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>What two important things were left out?

>>The most egregious omission was not explaining who the makers of the map
>>were. I supposed someone could read between the lines and figure out who
>>Prongs, Padfoot, etc. were, but it really should've been explained.
>>
>>Mike Jackson
>>Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
>>www.dvdverdict.com
>>

> This was my single complaint about the film version....the makers of the map
> are important to know!
> If you're a fan it's a bit of a slap in the face, but I suppose if you're
> not a book-fan and don't know then
> you really can't miss it, but it goes a long way to explain why Lupin left
> the map with Harry.

Was there nothing in the movie about the source of the book? For some
reason I thought at least two of the authors were named or at least implied.

> The relocation (re-envisioning) of the Whomping Willow and Hagrid's Hut
> miffed me at first, but I've
> gotten over it and chalk it up to Hogwart's being a school of witchcraft &
> wizardry...maybe Dumbledore
> rearranged the grounds to keep it interesting, after all, the staircases
> rearrange themselves and Dumbledore
> can change his appearance (sorry....but I had to say it).
>

> With GOF I have heard that the Dursley's are out (shame since I like to hate
> them so much - and the actors
> are none to happy, or so I've heard) and while the Quidditch World Cup would
> be fun to see, for pacing
> purposes I won't be upset if it's gone, but they better be faithful to the
> Tri-Wizard Tournament and end of
> the book (He Who Must Not Be Named's return - along with some surprise
> saviors)....

Well I haven't read GOF but leaving the Dursley's out is fine with me.
I'd sort of prefer for some of the bad people to have at least some
redeeming qualities and the good guys to have at least some faults.

dick

Mike Kohary

Dick Sidbury wrote:

> While all this is true, as far as I remember, is any of it really
> important to the story being told?

Agreed. In fact, I'm more of the mind that the HP movie franchise finally
did it right, by trying to make a good movie instead of trying to adapt
every detail of the book. In fact, I think the best adaptations tend to
make numerous changes to the source material, because a book is a book and a
movie is a movie. They have different aesthetics, and quite frankly, I
don't need to see every detail that was mentioned in the book.

This is coming from someone who hasn't read the HP books - I thought this
movie was a wonderful film, and if it was missing something that was in the
book, it was nothing that made this film-goer's experience any less for the
effort.

John Doe

People please. Hagrid was promoted. His home went from a one room shack to a
two room. Of course it would be at a different location. As for the
different look, well they are showing parts of the school we haven't seen
before. As for the wamping willow who is to say there isn't more than one?

Add to that that it is a magic school and it can change thanks to magic and
there is absolutely no problem with what was shown.

John

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J3pvd.6982$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The movie is great with lots of wonderful special effects. I wish they'd
> used the old set for the school, though. The "new" Hogwarts looks nothing
> like the old, and Hagrid's house has been moved to the side of a huge bare
> (scottish) hillside. The dark forest is nowhere to be seen. This is a bit
> confusing if you don't realise that there is a completely new director,
> and I think it interferes with the continuity of the series, sort of like
> turning on a Star Wars movie and finding the storm troopers dressed in
> purple. Also the kids are all running around the school wearing jeans,
> which just wouldn't happen in an English public school.
>
> If you lay aside the authenticity, however, it is a great movie.
> George
>
> "MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
>> DVD.
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated.
>> Best,
>>
>> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

John Doe

Actually, I like the Dursley's. They always showed what a good person Harry
was and it made it amazing that Harry didn't end up a little as*hole like
those that raised him. They also added comic relief and were a good start to
the film. More importantly they showed what Harry has had to overcome to
become the person and wizard his is and is growing in to.

John

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob Mac wrote:
>> "Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>The most egregious omission was not explaining who the makers of the map
>>>were. I supposed someone could read between the lines and figure out who
>>>Prongs, Padfoot, etc. were, but it really should've been explained.
>>>
>>>Mike Jackson
>>>Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
>>>www.dvdverdict.com
>>>

>> This was my single complaint about the film version....the makers of the
>> map are important to know!
>> If you're a fan it's a bit of a slap in the face, but I suppose if you're
>> not a book-fan and don't know then
>> you really can't miss it, but it goes a long way to explain why Lupin
>> left the map with Harry.
>>

> Was there nothing in the movie about the source of the book? For some
> reason I thought at least two of the authors were named or at least
> implied.
>
>> The relocation (re-envisioning) of the Whomping Willow and Hagrid's Hut
>> miffed me at first, but I've
>> gotten over it and chalk it up to Hogwart's being a school of witchcraft
>> & wizardry...maybe Dumbledore
>> rearranged the grounds to keep it interesting, after all, the staircases
>> rearrange themselves and Dumbledore
>> can change his appearance (sorry....but I had to say it).
>>

>> With GOF I have heard that the Dursley's are out (shame since I like to
>> hate them so much - and the actors
>> are none to happy, or so I've heard) and while the Quidditch World Cup
>> would be fun to see, for pacing
>> purposes I won't be upset if it's gone, but they better be faithful to
>> the Tri-Wizard Tournament and end of
>> the book (He Who Must Not Be Named's return - along with some surprise
>> saviors)....

> Well I haven't read GOF but leaving the Dursley's out is fine with me. I'd
> sort of prefer for some of the bad people to have at least some redeeming
> qualities and the good guys to have at least some faults.
>
> dick

John Doe

My guess would be they will cover the owl in the next movie. That has
happened before in a series of movies where stuff is left out or slightly
rearranged. Good? I don't know. Bad? I don't know.

I know I am not reading the books until I have seen all of the movies. This
way when I do read the books to fill in the missing bits I can put the
actors from the movies and the looks of everything in instead of creating my
own in my imagination. That for me is one of the problems with reading a
book and the watch a movie made from it. What they show is always someone
else's imagination of how things looks and not mine.

Sphere was like that. Read the book and loved it. Saw the movie and thought
it was crap. It may have been but it was prejudged because of the book.

John

"Jay Moseley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:06:59 -0800, "Mike Jackson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote:
>
>>> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
>>> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

>>I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
>>you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
>>Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
>>his escape, did he?

> The Firebolt was delivered in the book right after Harry is injured
> and his broom was destroyed. Not only that, in the book Harry had seen
> the new firebolt in a display window in Diagon Alley during the
> extended period of time he is staying alone in London before his
> friends arrive and they all head back to Hogwarts. The plot element of
> the gift Firebolt extends for many chapters as it is "confiscated" as
> a possible danger, resulting in a tiff between Hermione and Ron.
>
> Not only did Harry receive a permission slip from Sirius at the end of
> the book, it was delivered by a small owl that becomes Ron's new pet,
> now that Scabbers is out of the picture. How do they plan to explain
> the owl in the coming movies?

When: Spiderman 2, Harry Potter, Return of the King MarkZimmerman DVD Video 13 07-27-2004 10:26 PM
Harry Potter Senti Computer Support 2 01-01-2004 03:42 AM
Harry Potter 2: is 'full screen open matte or P&S? Martin O'Brien DVD Video 6 10-26-2003 03:01 AM
HARRY POTTER = HENRY POSNER Film Shooter Digital Photography 20 08-25-2003 04:49 PM
Re: Harry Potter $12.95 at Borders The Green Troll DVD Video 0 06-29-2003 06:22 AM

Advertisments