Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Latest Harry Potter any good?

Latest Harry Potter any good?

Dick Sidbury

kaydigi wrote:
> "MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
>>DVD.
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>Best,
>>
>>Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you never
> read the book then don't worry.

What two important things were left out?

dick
-- imho, the quiddich stuff wasn't that important.

kaydigi

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> kaydigi wrote:
>> "MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
>>>DVD.
>>>
>>>Any help will be appreciated.
>>>Best,
>>>
>>>Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

>> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you
>> never read the book then don't worry.

> What two important things were left out?
>
> dick
> -- imho, the quiddich stuff wasn't that important.

In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year since
Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

The book went in to greater detail explaining his fathers involement with
the map and Harry's Protonum (sp?) spell. It also gave a little bit of more
insight about Harry's father and relationships between Lupin and Snape. The
whole scene when Snape came crashing in the house took about 4 minutes in
movie time. While the book it was about 3 chapters. So much backstory was
left out.

I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of all
of them.

It's been a while since I read POA maybe someone else will be able to
explain it better.

Mike Jackson

>> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you
>> never read the book then don't worry.

> What two important things were left out?

The most egregious omission was not explaining who the makers of the map
were. I supposed someone could read between the lines and figure out who
Prongs, Padfoot, etc. were, but it really should've been explained.

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Mike Jackson

> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
his escape, did he?

> I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
> read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
> all of them.

With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be cut.
I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else later
on...

Mike Jackson
Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

kaydigi

"Mike Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
>> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

> I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
> you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
> Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
> his escape, did he?

I'm about 95% sure that Harry got a permission slip at the end of the book.
On the way back from the haunted house Sirius told Harry to come live with
him next summer and he wouldn't have to stay with the Dursley's. Harry got
so excited but then wormtail escaped and ruined everything

>> I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
>> read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
>> all of them.

> With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be
> cut. I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else
> later on...

I think the Dursley scene has been dropped from GOF, I hope not since they
become so important in Book 5.

kaydigi

> (And like I said, their new plot-economy drive can only *help* Mira
> Nair's version of Book 5--
> "Order of the Phoenix" was just TOO MUCH of a bad thing, and could use a
> little creative slimming down and de-repetizing to just the bare plot
> highlights...This time, might even look as if something happened in it!)

As long as the last battle scene and character development remains fully
intact i'm all for trimming the rest.

Mark McGee

When I saw it initially, I hated it because of the differences in a lot of
the things around the school, but the more I think about it, and watching it
again, I realize that this version is closest to what Ms. Rowling's vision
of Harry Potter is. Hopefully all of the remaining films will keep this
vision. Of course, with the books starting to be much darker with Book 3,
it's only natural that the films will be, too.

"MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
> DVD.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Best,
>
> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Derek Janssen

Mike Jackson wrote:

>>I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
>>read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
>>all of them.

> With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be cut.
> I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else later
> on...

Warner's original idea was to do a two-part movie, "Matrix" and "Kill
Bill" style--
What happened to that idea?...Well, "Matrix" and "Kill Bill".

Now they're seeing what they CAN do with trimming Book 4 down to
two-and-a-half-hour fighting weight, and it's another creative step--
Between keeping the QWC and the Dursleys scenes, the Cup's already won out.

(And like I said, their new plot-economy drive can only *help* Mira
Nair's version of Book 5--
"Order of the Phoenix" was just TOO MUCH of a bad thing, and could use a
little creative slimming down and de-repetizing to just the bare plot
highlights...This time, might even look as if something happened in it!)

Derek Janssen

Jay Moseley

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:06:59 -0800, "Mike Jackson"
<(E-Mail Removed)-dog.net> wrote:

>> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
>> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

>I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
>you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
>Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
>his escape, did he?

The Firebolt was delivered in the book right after Harry is injured
and his broom was destroyed. Not only that, in the book Harry had seen
the new firebolt in a display window in Diagon Alley during the
extended period of time he is staying alone in London before his
friends arrive and they all head back to Hogwarts. The plot element of
the gift Firebolt extends for many chapters as it is "confiscated" as
a possible danger, resulting in a tiff between Hermione and Ron.

Not only did Harry receive a permission slip from Sirius at the end of
the book, it was delivered by a small owl that becomes Ron's new pet,
now that Scabbers is out of the picture. How do they plan to explain
the owl in the coming movies?

George

The movie is great with lots of wonderful special effects. I wish they'd
used the old set for the school, though. The "new" Hogwarts looks nothing
like the old, and Hagrid's house has been moved to the side of a huge bare
(scottish) hillside. The dark forest is nowhere to be seen. This is a bit
confusing if you don't realise that there is a completely new director, and
I think it interferes with the continuity of the series, sort of like
turning on a Star Wars movie and finding the storm troopers dressed in
purple. Also the kids are all running around the school wearing jeans,
which just wouldn't happen in an English public school.

If you lay aside the authenticity, however, it is a great movie.
George

"MarkZimmerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
> DVD.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Best,
>
> Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

When: Spiderman 2, Harry Potter, Return of the King MarkZimmerman DVD Video 13 07-27-2004 10:26 PM
Harry Potter Senti Computer Support 2 01-01-2004 03:42 AM
Harry Potter 2: is 'full screen open matte or P&S? Martin O'Brien DVD Video 6 10-26-2003 03:01 AM
HARRY POTTER = HENRY POSNER Film Shooter Digital Photography 20 08-25-2003 04:49 PM
Re: Harry Potter $12.95 at Borders The Green Troll DVD Video 0 06-29-2003 06:22 AM

Advertisments