Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD-HD, recordables?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD-HD, recordables?

 
 
Samuel Fang
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
recordables to hit the market?

I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
2-3 years off.

Thanks!

--
Samuel Fang
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"Slower cars are friends, not food."
- Finding Nismo
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
Why? There is no guarantee the DVD-HD will be the format that wins. So you
buy a recorder and then blu-ray wins and you still have junk. I would
suggest your just buy a regular DVD recorder and enjoy it. It will be at
least 2 to 3 years before you have to worry about the other.

John


"Samuel Fang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
> recordables to hit the market?
>
> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
> 2-3 years off.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Samuel Fang
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "Slower cars are friends, not food."
> - Finding Nismo



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-11-2004
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:39:29 -0500, Samuel Fang <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
>recordables to hit the market?
>
>I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
>put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
>2-3 years off.
>
>Thanks!


So what if it's available in 2 months? A DVD recorder costs
nothing for a computer based unit and about $200 for a
stand alone, unless you want higher quality.
An HD-DVD recorder at this stage, if it was available would
be $1000 minimum. I think there is a Sony product out in Japan
at $3000 but I'm not absolutely certain.
-Rich
 
Reply With Quote
 
Samuel Fang
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2004
Has Mike Dahmus *plonked* you, "John Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?

>Why? There is no guarantee the DVD-HD will be the format that wins. So you
>buy a recorder and then blu-ray wins and you still have junk. I would
>suggest your just buy a regular DVD recorder and enjoy it. It will be at
>least 2 to 3 years before you have to worry about the other.


Sorry. I should have been clearer. I'm not worried specifically as
to which High Def DVD format: I just want to know when they'll be
coming out.

Your advice sounds pretty good, though. Does anybody know of any DVD
recordable format/equipment that would allow 3 to 4 hours of video and
audio, plus a second audio track?

Some on here have told me certain PC-based software allows the
recording of a second audio track with a recorded DVD: any specifics,
and do any of them allow dual layering (which I'd assume would allow
up to 3 to 3 1/2 hours of recording time)?

--
Samuel Fang
(E-Mail Removed)

"Slower cars are friends, not food."
- Finding Nismo
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2004
Samuel Fang wrote:
> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
> recordables to hit the market?
>
> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
> 2-3 years off.


Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think you're
pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these days anyway)
today, and wait for the future in the future.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
TCS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-13-2004
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Samuel Fang wrote:
>> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
>> recordables to hit the market?
>>
>> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
>> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
>> 2-3 years off.


>Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think you're
>pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these days anyway)
>today, and wait for the future in the future.


It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players will be
backward compatible.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004
TCS wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Samuel Fang wrote:
>>> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
>>> recordables to hit the market?
>>>
>>> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
>>> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
>>> 2-3 years off.

>
>> Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think
>> you're pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these
>> days anyway) today, and wait for the future in the future.

>
> It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
> will be backward compatible.


It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
TCS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:41:57 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>TCS wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Samuel Fang wrote:
>>>> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for DVD-HD
>>>> recordables to hit the market?
>>>>
>>>> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want to
>>>> put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a good
>>>> 2-3 years off.

>>
>>> Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think
>>> you're pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap these
>>> days anyway) today, and wait for the future in the future.

>>
>> It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
>> will be backward compatible.


>It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
>players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's beside
>the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any drive, and
>HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.


And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.
 
Reply With Quote
 
3W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004
"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.


Yeah right. What are the chances of that? About zero.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004
TCS wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:41:57 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> TCS wrote:
>>> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0800, Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>> Samuel Fang wrote:
>>>>> Are there any realisitc timelines for how long it'll take for
>>>>> DVD-HD recordables to hit the market?
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm looking into getting a DVD recorder, and I don't really want
>>>>> to put in the investment unless DVD-HD recordables are at least a
>>>>> good 2-3 years off.
>>>
>>>> Not only that, but there is a format war looming anyway. I think
>>>> you're pretty safe to buy a DVD recorder (they're pretty cheap
>>>> these days anyway) today, and wait for the future in the future.
>>>>
>>>
>>> It's looking like hd-dvd is going to be the winner and the players
>>> will be backward compatible.

>
>> It doesn't look like either is the clearcut winner right now, and the
>> players for either format will be backwards compatible. But that's
>> beside the point - you want your HD discs to be compatible with any
>> drive, and HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not compatible with each other.

>
> And AFAIK, BR players won't be able to read DVD.


No, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will be able to read standard DVD.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Kohary mike at kohary dot com http://www.kohary.com

Karma Photography: http://www.karmaphotography.com
Seahawks Historical Database: http://www.kohary.com/seahawks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments