Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Help with Comcast Cable Box/HDTV

Help with Comcast Cable Box/HDTV

Thursdaynighters

Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

halb

I have the Cox Cable HDTV/PVR box (Motorola) and it has Composite,
Component, S-Video and RF outputs.

halb

"Thursdaynighters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD
> player
> to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to
> TV? I
> can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

Alan Figgatt

Thursdaynighters wrote:
> Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
> to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
> can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

Well, to get the HDTV signal you have to go to either component cable
or digital DVI or HDMI should the Comcast box have that. Composite and
S-Video are only good for 480i signals. Read the manual for the Sony LCD
which I assume is their Rear Projection LCD HDTV.

If you have the newer model, it should also have a built-in ATSC
digital tuner so you can pick up HD Over the Air (OTA) broadcast if
there are digital stations in your area. You may find that Comcast cable
is not carrying all the digital/HD local stations in your area yet. For
that matter, there are a number of people who have found that they get a
better picture quality for the network broadcasts OTA than through the
cable.

This topic is better suited to alt.tv.tech.hdtv or www.avsforum.com
but avsforum is down until Saturday night for system work.

Alan Figgatt

Alan Figgatt

Forgot to add that to find out what digital stations are in your area,
goto www.antennaweb.org. Many digital stations, especially in the
smaller cities, are still broadcasting at low power to save money, so it
can be hit or miss on whether you can pick up the station.

Alan Figgatt

Biz

"Thursdaynighters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD

player
> to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to

TV? I
> can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

If you just have their plain jane box, chances are thats all you get.
You'll want to check your box to see if it has composite output, or better
yet s-video, or even better yet component. Better cable boxes as well as HD
cable boxes usually also have digital audio connections as well.

Mark B.

"Thursdaynighters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD
> player
> to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to
> TV? I
> can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

Contact Comcast and have them hook you up with a new HD box.

Mark

fredman

On 11 Dec 2004 09:25:49 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Thursdaynighters) wrote:

>Will be buying a Sony 60" LCD Today, I know the set-up I need from DVD player
>to TV....what is the typical set-up from a Comcast Digital Cable Box to TV? I
>can't believe it's just a coax cable. Thanks

First off, your signal strength coming through the cable has to be of
an acceptable amount or it won't support digital/hi-def and/or
broadband. This could be a problem in older cabling. If you're
fairly new, should be no worries. The Comcast box will feature either
the three component set, or a DVI connection, or both, as well as a
digital audio (either/or fiber/coax) connection. They will provide
you with a robust set of component video/RCA audio cables to go from
the STB to your TV (I don't know if they'll route it through other
components, i.e. receiver, etc.) and will usually do it for you, but
if you have an elaborate setup (VCR/TIVO, TV tuner, HT receiver, etc.)
you may have to do that yourself - I did. They just make sure you're
getting good reception from the box to the set. Good luck.