Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to determine if a DVD is anamorphic?

How to determine if a DVD is anamorphic?

opticreep@yahoo.com

I just discovered that a whole bunch of original, non-pirated Region 3
movies being sold in Asia are badly mislabeled. Too often, there would
be features advertised in the DVD sleeve, but don't exist in the DVD
itself. So now I'm wondering if the DVDs I have really are anamorphic.

Is there any way to use a PC to determine whether or not a DVD movie is
anamorphic?

Michael Rogers

You don't even have to use a PC. Just use your regular DVD player and
select "wide" from the setup menu.

This turns off the 4:3 downconversion and any anamorphic DVD image will
show distorted or "squeezed".

Mike

> I just discovered that a whole bunch of original, non-pirated Region 3
> movies being sold in Asia are badly mislabeled. Too often, there would
> be features advertised in the DVD sleeve, but don't exist in the DVD
> itself. So now I'm wondering if the DVDs I have really are anamorphic.
>
> Is there any way to use a PC to determine whether or not a DVD movie is
> anamorphic?

Specialk

> Is there any way to use a PC to determine whether or not a DVD movie is
> anamorphic?

If you have software on your PC that shows the video in its own window,
fire up the program and start the movie and you can tell by the size of
the window.

4:3 window => Non-anamorphic
16:9 window => Anamorphic

trollbuster@notrolls.com

On 10 Dec 2004 13:25:01 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I just discovered that a whole bunch of original, non-pirated Region 3
>movies being sold in Asia are badly mislabeled. Too often, there would
>be features advertised in the DVD sleeve, but don't exist in the DVD
>itself. So now I'm wondering if the DVDs I have really are anamorphic.
>
>Is there any way to use a PC to determine whether or not a DVD movie is
>anamorphic?

TROLL