Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD-DVD growth will be much slower than DVD's was

HD-DVD growth will be much slower than DVD's was

RichA

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:01:52 GMT, poldy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "poldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > It's about 13 million or 13% of US households. 10 million more expected

>> Documentation?

>Just Google and you would find something like this:
>
>http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_r...l.asp?id=10430
>
>Note that this is back in March where 9 million had been shipped. This
>Holiday season alone will add a lot more to that number.

Well, shipped to stores. Figuring on an inventory turn of 3x in a
year and a 10% non-sales rate, that means about 25 million sold in
2004, approx.

Mike Kohary

Biz wrote:
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cpj0vv$b0v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> RichA wrote:
>>>
>>> There are 280 million people in the country.
>>> 10% of all households would be about 10 million.

>> That's just...so wrong.
>>
>> 10% of 280,000,000 is 28,000,000. But this is moot anyway, since
>> population does not equal number of households. There are a little
>> over 100,000,000 households in America, I believe, so 10 million is
>> about 10%.

> The numbers were right Mike, but it was presented in a very
> roundabout kind of way...

On re-reading it, yes, I see that now. I love Usenet.

Video Flyer

On 12/12/04 10:38 PM, in article
619vd.2365$(E-Mail Removed) et, "Mark Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cpj0pp$alo$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting, so maybe I'll be wrong. We'll see.

> I would expect that the number of households is lower.
>
> When I was at the video store buying my HDTV, the manager took
> me back to the warehouse and showed me how big the packing crate
> would be and the large quantity they had in stock. He pointed out
> several groups of multiple HDTV sets that were each going to one
> house. One fairly large house was having 5 HDTV's delivered.
> Some of the other homes were having either 2 or 3 delivered.

Do you live in Beverly Hills, perchance?

Neal

Jason L.

>>I would expect that the number of households is lower.
>>
>>When I was at the video store buying my HDTV, the manager took
>>me back to the warehouse and showed me how big the packing crate
>>would be and the large quantity they had in stock. He pointed out
>>several groups of multiple HDTV sets that were each going to one
>>house. One fairly large house was having 5 HDTV's delivered.
>>Some of the other homes were having either 2 or 3 delivered.

If you have 5 HD sets delivered to your house, you're an ass

smaug86

These are numbers for ALL Digital Televisions, not HDTVs.

The number now is around 14 million, but again, it's all DTV sales,
factory-to-dealer. I have yet to see any sources for how many HDTVs
consumers actually own.
http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_r...l.asp?id=10628

Mike Kohary

smaug86 wrote:
> These are numbers for ALL Digital Televisions, not HDTVs.
>
> The number now is around 14 million, but again, it's all DTV sales,
> factory-to-dealer. I have yet to see any sources for how many HDTVs
> consumers actually own.
> http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_r...l.asp?id=10628

That makes a lot more sense. DTV sales I can believe - but DTV doesn't mean
HD. I'd be interested to see HD sales alone. I can't seem to find a
reference, though - anyone?

I know and have regularly been in contact with maybe 150 friends, family and
aquaintances over the last several years - wife's friends, work pals,
extended family, etc. Most of these people are middle to upper-middle
class, and a few are upper-class. Out of all of them, exactly one household
owns an actual HDTV. One. I know that's merely anecdotal, but sheesh, if
HD was so popular, you'd think it would have penetrated my own personal
circle a little more. That's why I'm so skeptical that HDTV has taken any
kind of hold in the broader consumer market.

poldy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"smaug86" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> These are numbers for ALL Digital Televisions, not HDTVs.
>
> The number now is around 14 million, but again, it's all DTV sales,
> factory-to-dealer. I have yet to see any sources for how many HDTVs
> consumers actually own.
> http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_r...l.asp?id=10628

And how many non-HDTV digital TVs are sold in this country?

There are one or two EDTV models in the low end, some CRTs from Sanyo.

Then there are several EDTV plasma models.

But the rest, especially in the CRT and RPTV categories, which have far
greater volumes than plasmas, are HDTV-capable.

GMAN

In article <gNOvd.5433$(E-Mail Removed) et>, "Jason L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I would expect that the number of households is lower.
>>>
>>>When I was at the video store buying my HDTV, the manager took
>>>me back to the warehouse and showed me how big the packing crate
>>>would be and the large quantity they had in stock. He pointed out
>>>several groups of multiple HDTV sets that were each going to one
>>>house. One fairly large house was having 5 HDTV's delivered.
>>>Some of the other homes were having either 2 or 3 delivered.

>If you have 5 HD sets delivered to your house, you're an ass

Yeah, but a very rich one!

Charles Marslett

Quoting from
http://advancedmediacommittee.typepa...media/2004/08/

The CEA also reported that DTV sales during the first half of 2004
are up 80 percent compared to 1.5 million units sold in the same
time period last year. The CEA defines DTV products as integrated
sets and monitors displaying active vertical scanning lines of at
least 480p and, in the case of integrated sets, receiving and
decoding ATSC terrestrial digital broadcasts.

So all those flat panel NTSC TVs that have 480p component video inputs
are included (I own a CRT and a flat panel display that would be
included in that category and neither would be considered HDTVs).

And quoting from
http://news.designtechnica.com/article5169.html

DTV sales the first half of 2004, reaching 2.8 million units and
dollar revenues of more than $2.7 billion according to the CEA.

"DTV sales have now reached a total of 11.7 million units since
market introduction in 1998 and most of those sales have occurred
during the past two years," said Sean Wargo, senior industry analyst
for CEA. "With high definition (HDTV) products constituting the vast
majority of total sales, these figures show how quickly consumers
are responding to the continued increase in the amount of quality
HDTV programming, such as the Summer Olympics. In fact, 1 out of 4
televisions purchased this year will be an HDTV."

Of course, I really don't believe this. I know ONE person with an
HDTV and one other who will probably have one after the holidays.

Perhaps 1 in 20 upper income people (my anecdotal information). And
perhaps 10 to 20 TV monitors or sets bought in the last year (so that
comes out to 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 in a group highly selective toward
HDTV).

The only statistic I saw on HD market penetration is that 16% of
homosexuals have HDTV in their homes and only 9% of heterosexuals do
(I don't know the fraction of the population that fits into either of
those groups). From http://www.16nine.com/.

So 1 in 11 to 1 in 6 homes have HDTV.

--Charles