Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Help in buying first HDTV

Help in buying first HDTV

Thursdaynighters

If anyone can please help, I'd appreciate it. We're looking at the "Sony 60"
HDTV (KDF-60XS955) LCD." Any have experience with this? Is DLP better than
LCD? If so, by how much? Also, how important is it to have a cablecard in
one's TV? I've read that it dramatically improves cable signal. Thanks for any
help.

Tim

Alan Figgatt

Thursdaynighters wrote:

> If anyone can please help, I'd appreciate it. We're looking at the "Sony 60"
> HDTV (KDF-60XS955) LCD." Any have experience with this? Is DLP better than
> LCD? If so, by how much? Also, how important is it to have a cablecard in
> one's TV? I've read that it dramatically improves cable signal. Thanks for any
> help.
>
> Tim

1. Cablecard does not necessarily improve the picture quality of cable
unless you have a lousy cablebox and the TV has a better built-in
scalar. The cablecard in theory allows you to do away with the set top
box, but until 2 way Cablecard slots come out, you will lose features
such as pay-per-view, on-demand, and possibly guide/info stuff.

2. LCD vs DLP: not a simple answer. My suggestion is to the RP (Rear
Projection) TV forum on www.avsforum.com and read some of the threads
there as well as FAQ pages. Personally I would go with the Sony LCD RPTV
over the Samsung DLP, given the many reports of repair work needed for
the Samsungs.

Alan Figgatt

Wild Coyote

On 09 Dec 2004 19:44:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Thursdaynighters) wrote:

>If anyone can please help, I'd appreciate it. We're looking at the "Sony 60"
>HDTV (KDF-60XS955) LCD." Any have experience with this? Is DLP better than
>LCD? If so, by how much? Also, how important is it to have a cablecard in
>one's TV? I've read that it dramatically improves cable signal. Thanks for any
>help.
>
>Tim

I have a 8 month old Sony 60" rear projection LCD with high def.
Whatever came from the factory is what is in it. I have the
decoder/high def box from the cable company, no add on card. I use a
DVI-D cable for video and a fiber optic audio cable to the audio
system They are both great, especially for the money.

Check this out for the info you requested:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/index.php

That is an excellent website.

--
The Day PP was speechless, April 20, 2004.

"This may actually be the strangest idea ever in abp. I think you got
me, WC--I'm speechless. A guy in a female road runner suit... that's
just not right."

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com