Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why are some DVD's released Dec. 28 (after the holiday shopping season)

Why are some DVD's released Dec. 28 (after the holiday shopping season)

Fire3Sky

Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

Fire3Sky

Metlhd3138

>Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
>Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
>for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

People using their gift certificates, return reciepts, etc. The day after
Christmas is a pretty big shopping day for those reasons alone.

Richard C.

"Fire3Sky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City,
> Twilight
> Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business
> reason
> for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?
>
> Fire3Sky

===============================
I don't understand.
You think they should stop releasing new items after Christmas?
At what point do you think they should start releasing them?.....July 4th?

Brian M Briones

Fire3Sky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
: Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
: for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

: Fire3Sky

December 28 is a tuesday, the day which all new dvd's are typically
released... The studios aren't intentionally trying to release new titles
a few days after X-mas, although I'm sure it's nice that this tuesday
happens to be almost after X-mas day.

John Doe

It will be good for people with gift cards and gift certificates.

John

Brian M Briones wrote:
> Fire3Sky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
> : Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
> : for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?
>
> : Fire3Sky
>
> December 28 is a tuesday, the day which all new dvd's are typically
> released... The studios aren't intentionally trying to release new titles
> a few days after X-mas, although I'm sure it's nice that this tuesday
> happens to be almost after X-mas day.

Bret81C

because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
sales

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bret81C
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
> sales

Or they know that there's not enough shelf space in stores for those
titles pre-Christmas, maybe they can't get them pressed before then,
it's an open week where they can dump titles they don't want to bother
promoting, etc.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Justin

Invid Fan wrote on [Sat, 11 Dec 2004 01:57:50 -0500]:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bret81C
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> because they are stupid and think the after christmas market will produce more
>> sales

> Or they know that there's not enough shelf space in stores for those
> titles pre-Christmas, maybe they can't get them pressed before then,
> it's an open week where they can dump titles they don't want to bother
> promoting, etc.

If someone wants a movie they will eventually get it, whether it's
released before or after xmas.

jayembee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fire3Sky) wrote:

> Some DVD's have December 28 as their release date (Sex & the City, Twilight
> Zone, Battlestar Gallactica miniseries). Is there some retail business reason
> for releasing something right after the holiday shopping season?

They have to release *something*, and it's easier to release them
after Christmas than to overcrowd the releases on the three Tuesdays
before Christmas. This past week was a killer for me. I wish some of
the releases this week had been put off until the 28th.

-- jayembee