Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Should I hold out for the original Star Wars films?

Should I hold out for the original Star Wars films?

Fire3Sky

I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've read,
Lucas won't release them.

However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
released then?

If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.

Fire3Sky

G. M. Watson

----------
(Fire3Sky) wrote:

> I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've read,
> Lucas won't release them.
>
> However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
> anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
> released then?
>
> If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.

Why don't you write that nice Mr. Lucas a letter and *ask* him to release
them? From what I hear, he loves to hear from fans, pays close attention to
their concerns and wishes, and almost always acts on matters of concern they
bring to his attention. I'm sure that if you asked him nicely and maybe sent
him some cookies and a couple of pairs of hand-knitted socks, he'd be happy
to release the originals, just for you.

Meng

Fire3Sky wrote:

> I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've read,
> Lucas won't release them.
>
> However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
> anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
> released then?
>
> If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
>
> Fire3Sky

Lucas once said that the Star Wars films would never be released on
VHS and look what happened, so there's always hope. Don't hold your
breath though.

Sue

Since Lucas is so set on thwarting the piracy of his work (one of the
reasons he released the films on DVD now rather than wait until all 3
prequels were done, which was his original plan), I imagine at some
point, he's goingto have to give in and put out the unchanged originals.
Those are the big bootleg targets these days. Otherwise, he's just
standing by and allowing the pirates to continue to profit from his
films, from fans who have no choice but to buy the bootlegs if they want
permanent copies of the original movies.

His comment about 'Oh, well, if they want the originals, there's always
the VHS versions', is rather sly, because a) you can't buy the VHS
versions anymore, and b) VHS tapes eventually degrade to the point of
being unwatchable. So really, that's not an option.

My guess is he'll release them in a 30th anniversary package in 2007,
along with the three changed original versions and the three prequels.
Meanwhile, there's always the laserdisc versions of the originals if you
want to invest in a laserdisc player, or the DVD bootlegs of those.
There's tons of 'em on ebay.

Meng wrote:
> Fire3Sky wrote:
>
>> I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything
>> I've read,
>> Lucas won't release them.
>>
>> However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the 30th
>> anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will be
>> released then?
>>
>> If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
>>
>> Fire3Sky

> Lucas once said that the Star Wars films would never be released on VHS
> and look what happened, so there's always hope. Don't hold your breath
> though.

Patrick W. Heinske

My money is on that Lucas will *never* release the original versions, because
in his mind, he was unsatisfied with them and feels that the changes he made in
the newer versions 'fixed mistakes' and 'corrected things the way he had
originally meant them to be'.

In his mind, he'd be putting broken product back on the market even though he
spent all the time and money to fix it to be released the way he had originally
intended.

I don't see it happening.
Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
(E-Mail Removed)AMcom

SpiderManHouston

We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

>My money is on that Lucas will *never* release the original versions, because
>in his mind, he was unsatisfied with them and feels that the changes he made
>in
>the newer versions 'fixed mistakes' and 'corrected things the way he had
>originally meant them to be'.
>
>In his mind, he'd be putting broken product back on the market even though he
>spent all the time and money to fix it to be released the way he had
>originally
>intended.
>
>I don't see it happening.
>Patrick W. Heinske -- Central NC, USA
>(E-Mail Removed)

G. M. Watson

----------
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (SpiderManHouston) wrote:

> We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

Don't let that give you any ideas, though.

Alan Figgatt

SpiderManHouston wrote:

> We will see the originals after Lucas passes away.

Maybe 10 years after that because it could take that long to settle
out ownership rights. More money involved = more lawyers.

Personally I don't understand this obsession with the "original"
editions. Most of the changes that Lucas made with the special editions
- F/X cleanup, continuity fixes - improved this pictures a bit. Yes,
changing it so Greedo (if I recall the name correctly) shoots first or
now the same time as Hans Solo or having a young Hayden Christensen at
the end of ROTJ is a bit silly. But all in all, the special editions are
the same movies with mostly minor changes in substance, from what I
could tell.

Of course, in a few years with improving CGI technology, we may see
yet a Real Special Edition 3.0 release with Jar-Jar placed into each of
3 original movies or Mark Hamill digitally replaced with an even more
wooden actor than Hayden Christensen. Perish the thought!

Alan Figgatt

Bill

> Of course, in a few years with improving CGI technology, we may see
> yet a Real Special Edition 3.0 release with Jar-Jar placed into each of 3
> original movies or Mark Hamill digitally replaced with an even more wooden
> actor than Hayden Christensen. Perish the thought!
>
> Alan Figgatt

Jar-Jar is already in the new version of "Return of the Jedi"--well, at
least what appears to be his voice is there. During the closing celebration
scenes, if you listen closely while the camera pans one city, there is
someone in the background who sounds a lot like Jar-Jar screaming,
"We's-a-free!!!!"

Someone else pointed this out in another posting on this newsgroup shortly
after the release of the DVD set--it's indeed there, for better or worse.

Jerry

"G. M. Watson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ----------
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

(E-Mail Removed)
> (Fire3Sky) wrote:
>

> > I want the original, unchanged Star Wars films, but from everything I've

read,
> > Lucas won't release them.
> >
> > However, I've also heard that there are some releases planned for the

30th
> > anniversary of the first movie - anyone know if the original film will

be
> > released then?
> >
> > If there is no chance, I might as well pick up the 'altered' versions.
> >

> Why don't you write that nice Mr. Lucas a letter and *ask* him to release
> them? From what I hear, he loves to hear from fans, pays close attention

> their concerns and wishes, and almost always acts on matters of concern

they
> bring to his attention. I'm sure that if you asked him nicely and maybe

sent
> him some cookies and a couple of pairs of hand-knitted socks, he'd be

happy
> to release the originals, just for you.

Is being an obnoxious idiot a genetic trait in your family, or did you take
special classes?