Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > 2.4X, 4X, 8X DVD+R blank discs???

2.4X, 4X, 8X DVD+R blank discs???

Mr. Moe

What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all three in my
recorder?
_________________________________

Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

Biz

"Mr. Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all three in

my
> recorder?

Properly supported writing speeds. I dont know, whats your recorder
make/model? I would first try the disks they recommend in the manual or the
manufacturers website.

Mr. Moe

My recorder is an RCA model #DRC8295N. I just bought some TDK blank +R discs at
Best Buy. 50 for $19.99...I bought four bundles.
_________________________________

Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

Joe S

"Mr. Moe" wrote:

> My recorder is an RCA model #DRC8295N. I just bought some TDK blank +R discs at
> Best Buy. 50 for $19.99...I bought four bundles.
> _________________________________
>
> Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
> http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

That's not a horrible price. In another thread I surmise that your recorder records
at 2.4x. So, spending any extra money on 8x or 16x media would be a waste. Check
the specs to make sure.

Joe

Mr. Moe

The TDK discs state on the wrapper they are 8X.
__________________________________

"Mr. Moe" wrote:

> The TDK discs state on the wrapper they are 8X.
> __________________________________
>
> Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
> http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

That's a good price for 8x and should take care of your needs quite
well. However, for future reference you should figure out your recorders
write speed so that if it's 2.4x (or even 4x) that you don't spend extra
money to get 8x.

I'm sure you weren't planning on it, but don't open the other 3 packs
until you verify that these discs work great in your recorder. They more
than likely will do fine.

Joe

Mr. Moe

Thank you much for the info and advice.
_________________________________

Monster Horror Chiller Theatre
http://www.monsterhorrorchillertheatre.com/

Brian The Demolition Man Little

Mr. Moe wrote:
> What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
> three in my recorder?

Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).

Brian The Demolition Man Little
Owner of a Pioneer DVR-108

Joe S

Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

> Mr. Moe wrote:
> > What's the difference between 2.4X, 4X, and 8X? And can I use all
> > three in my recorder?

> Those numbers only matter with PC based DVD burners. Home componet
> based units (like the RCA one your wife got you) won't be affeted by the
> disc being a 2.4x or 8x or whatever. For people like you just look for the
> best deal on a reliable brand media (like the TDK ones you got).

Can you please explain what you mean? Is it because they only record to DVD at
video playback speed...that there is no direct hard drive to DVD capability
where it could actually go "faster"?

Joe

Joe S wrote:
> Can you please explain what you mean? Is it because they only record
> to DVD at video playback speed...that there is no direct hard drive
> to DVD capability where it could actually go "faster"?

On home componet based burners (aka set top unit) from my memory
they burn at video playback speed. I'm not sure on the set top units that
also function as TiVo units if the burning speed will be any faster (ie:
2.4x,
etc), but for the average person who just wants to record something to
a DVD then a set top unit will work just fine.

Brian The Demolition Man Little
Who prefers to use his PC for DVD authoring.