Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix Priority Status on Orders

Netflix Priority Status on Orders

Gary

Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title, but
its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.

What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

Tarkus

On 12/1/2004 3:25:47 PM, Gary wrote:

> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the
> title, but its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long
> Wait.
>
> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

I'm pretty sure that any answer you get here would be pure speculation
(and/or a conspiracy theory). Have you tried asking them directly?
--
"Klaatu borada n... necktie... nickel... It's an "N" word, it's
definitely an "N" word!"

kaydigi

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
> but
> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
>
> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

Don't do it on Tuesday do it on Monday. Netflix processes Tuesday releases
on Monday. OTOH I did have Spiderman 2 as Shortwait on Wed but shipped out
today.

JWB

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
> but
> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
>
> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies that I
*really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local video store.

kaydigi

"JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
>> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
>> but
>> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
>>
>> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies that
> I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local video
> store.

You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
#1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

JWB

"kaydigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Lets say you place a title as number one on a DVD that is released on
>>> Tuesday. Then you find that you not only are not going to get the title,
>>> but
>>> its on Short Wait, then Long Wait, and finally Very Long Wait.
>>>
>>> What is the freaking formula that Netfix uses to prioritize you?

>> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
>> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
>> video store.
>>

> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
> #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting the
movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered with
trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

kaydigi

"JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "kaydigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
>>> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
>>> video store.
>>>

>> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
>> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
>> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
>> #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

> I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting
> the movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered
> with trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

Lose out is the wrong word, I should say why rent a title for 4 bucks while
paying a netflix subscription? But I do understand what your saying, if
Spiderman 2 would have been on a short wait today, I would have gotten it
from the store because it's a high profile title.

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JWB
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "kaydigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> I have no idea, but my solution is I don't use Netflix for new movies
> >> that I *really* want to see when released. For those, I hit the local
> >> video store.
> >>

> > You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
> > turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
> > Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
> > #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

> I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting the
> movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be bothered with
> trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on anything.

Netflix is for films you don't care when you'll see. For videos you
want to watch tonight, the local rental store is the way to go

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

> "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "kaydigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "JWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
>>> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
>>> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release
>>> at #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

>> I only lose out if I value "timing" the netflix system over just getting
>> the movie from my local rental store. I honestly don't want to be
>> bothered with trying to time my netflix rentals, so I'm not losing out on
>> anything.
>>

> Lose out is the wrong word, I should say why rent a title for 4 bucks
> while paying a netflix subscription? But I do understand what your saying,
> if Spiderman 2 would have been on a short wait today, I would have gotten
> it from the store because it's a high profile title.

That's kinda what I meant. There are some movies I don't want to buy, but
the do interest me enough that I want to see them as soon as they come out.
For these few titles, I'd rather rent them from my local store (only $2.50
too) than fiddle with my netflix queue and make sure I have one ready to
send back on Sat.

Netflix handles almost all of my rentals, but I do still enjoy browsing the
rental store from time to time and getting a movie.

Reginald Dwight

In article <kxtrd.10789$xk5.10681@trnddc09>,
"kaydigi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You lose out in the long run. If your post office/ Netflix distributuion
> turn around time is 1 day , then hold an already watched movie until
> Saturday. When it gets to Netflix on Monday, have your Tuesday release at
> #1. It helps if you reutrn the movie at your towns main post office.

This is *exactly* what I do and I have not missed a SINGLE new release
one time in three years. That's something close to like 100 titles.