Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dark Angel Aspect Ratio

Dark Angel Aspect Ratio

Rutgar

I thought about buying the two seasons of Dark Angel today. However,
when I picked up the packages and looked at the specs, I noticed they
both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?

They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

Joshua Zyber

"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I thought about buying the two seasons of Dark Angel today. However,
> when I picked up the packages and looked at the specs, I noticed they
> both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
> when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?
>
> They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

Like most hour-long primetime dramas, the show aired in 4:3 on the
network's main broadcast channel and 16:9 on the digital channel.
Reportedly, some of the producers said they preferred the 4:3 version
and asked the DVD to be presented that way.

The DVD box set of The O.C. is the same way.

Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.

To complicate matters, foreign DVD releases of Dark Angel are 16:9.

Rutgar

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:40:51 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I thought about buying the two seasons of Dark Angel today. However,
>> when I picked up the packages and looked at the specs, I noticed they
>> both said 1.33:1 AR, Full Screen. I thought DA was letterboxed 16:9,
>> when it was on the air. If so, then why are the DVD's 1.33:1?
>>
>> They lost a sale, due to this B.S.

>Like most hour-long primetime dramas, the show aired in 4:3 on the
>network's main broadcast channel and 16:9 on the digital channel.
>Reportedly, some of the producers said they preferred the 4:3 version
>and asked the DVD to be presented that way.
>
>The DVD box set of The O.C. is the same way.
>
>Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
>home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
>TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.
>
>To complicate matters, foreign DVD releases of Dark Angel are 16:9.

Yes, I have the first two seasons of "24", and they look great in
anamorphic widescreen. As well as "Firefly". And, since the moron
"producers" of Dark Angel elected to issue the series in lame-ass 4:3,
I won't be buying it.

Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
been 16:9?

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, I have the first two seasons of "24", and they look great in
> anamorphic widescreen. As well as "Firefly". And, since the moron
> "producers" of Dark Angel elected to issue the series in lame-ass 4:3,
> I won't be buying it.
>
> Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
> been 16:9?

I have to admit it doesn't matter to me. If the creators prefer it 4:3,
I'll watch it in that ratio. It's not like I care if it fills a
widescreen tv or not

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

jayembee

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Before you ask, no this is not a Fox thing. The O.C. is distributed on
> home video by Warner Bros., and many of Fox Home Entertainment's other
> TV-on-DVD releases such as '24' are 16:9.

On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
framing that 16:9 is what it should be. To add salt to the wound, the
deleted scenes on the R1 release are in 16:9.

-- jayembee

Joshua Zyber

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

Joshua Zyber

"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Makes me wonder how many other people would have bought it, if it had
> been 16:9?

Probably not as many as those who are more likely to buy it since it
doesn't have "those derned black bar thingies" on their 13" TV.

jayembee

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
>> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from the
>> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

> Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
> nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

-- jayembee

Joshua Zyber

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On the other hand, Fox also releases THE SHIELD in 4:3 in Region 1,
>>> while Columbia's Region 2 releases are in 16:9. It's obvious from
>>> the
>>> framing that 16:9 is what it should be.

>> Do you have the Region 2? I've been curious, but I think the cramped
>> nature of the 4:3 framing is fairly effective for that show.

> Yes, I have the R2s for both seasons (so far).

Any issues with flubs in the extra picture information?

napalm68

Strangely, a few shows that get released in R1 land in 4:3 are 16:9 in
Australia and the UK (Dark Angel, Buffy (season 4 on), Angel season 2/3 on)

news:Cicrd.11251$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...