Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD recorder - newbie questions

DVD recorder - newbie questions

Steve

1. If I'm recording on the VCR and the program is longer than 2
hours, it will record at SP, then switch to EP toward the end, in
order to fit the entire program on the tape. Are there any DVD
recorders with this capability?

2. The VCR has one-touch record with 30-minute increments. Available
on DVD recorders?

3. Other than hard drives, are there significant differences between
DVD recorders at different price levels? Higher quality pictures or
sound?

Thanks!

Jon Purkey

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:29:09 -0800, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1. If I'm recording on the VCR and the program is longer than 2
>hours, it will record at SP, then switch to EP toward the end, in
>order to fit the entire program on the tape. Are there any DVD
>recorders with this capability?

Some DVD Recorders have flexible recording which will record a program
at a bitrate/quality that is in between the standard speeds,
calculated based on the amount of time left on the disc. Set it to
record a 3 hour movie on a empty disc and the movie will be recorded
at a quality that is halfway between the SP(2 hour) and LP(4 hour)
speeds.

>2. The VCR has one-touch record with 30-minute increments. Available
>on DVD recorders?

My Panasonic E75 has this feature. Pressing REC twice sets it to 30
minutes and each addition press adds more time. 0:30, 1:00, 1:30,
2:00, 3:00 and 4:00. I've also found that I can add additional time to
the end of a timer recording while it is recording, which is useful
should a program run long.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))