Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Recorders

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD Recorders

 
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004

"Jon Purkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:27:34 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"nickmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:RK4rd.693968$8_6.570835@attbi_s04...
> >> Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is

this
> >a
> >> special feature I have to look for.
> >> Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip

the
> >> commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it reaches

a
> >> commercial.
> >>
> >> This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a VCR

> >for
> >> years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials and
> >> automatically skips over them.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Nick
> >>

> >What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to have
> >one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to

black
> >scene change?

>
> I believe those VCRs look for the second or two of blank screen that
> sometimes comes before and after the commercials. However, with some
> networks using bumpers instead of a blank screen and others, like CBS,
> leaving their logo on when the screen would otherwise be blank, I'm
> not sure how well the auto commercial skip feature still works?



Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....

I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
fade to black scene change and a commercial break.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
In article <K6qrd.1011997$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....
>
> I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
> fade to black scene change and a commercial break.
>


"Fade to black" in the content of a TV show is usually actually "fade to very
dark but not completely black". The "Black" insert before a commercial is
usually a "full black".

If you watch a current Major Network telecast with the brightness set just a
"little" higher than normal, you can see the difference.

Local stations dont usually exhibit this difference.

I have several VCRs that are supposed to do the "skip commercial" trick, but
I've never seen one do it reliably. Sometimes you can miss a minute of the
show, sometimes you get some of the commercials, sometimes you get 'em all.

If you use a DVD recorder in 1 hour, 2 hour, or 4 hour mode, you can edit out
the commercials using TMPGenc Mpeg editor. (it will load .vob files as if
they were .MPG or .MP2 files.

If you use the 6 hour mode, you IMPORT the .vob files which is a little
slower.

Of course all of this requires you to have a pretty fast computer. (2 ghz or
more).


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nickmed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Biz,
Sorry about the delay with my response.
It's a Panasonic PV-VS4821 . It has commercial advance. Commercial skip is
the one that you can skip forward in 30 second or 1 minute intervals.
Commercial Advance records a program then goes back to the start of the
recording and finds the pauses before and after the commercials and sets
markers which when the recording is played back advances rapidly over the
commercial. It works right about 95% of the time. That's why I'm looking for
a DVD Recorder that does the same. From the messages here it looks like
there are DVD Recorders that have a commercial skip feature or I can go
through the recording and mark the commercials myself but then I would be
seeing parts of the program in advance which is what I'd like to avoid.

Nick


"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K6qrd.1011997$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Jon Purkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:27:34 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >"nickmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:RK4rd.693968$8_6.570835@attbi_s04...
>> >> Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is

> this
>> >a
>> >> special feature I have to look for.
>> >> Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip

> the
>> >> commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it
>> >> reaches

> a
>> >> commercial.
>> >>
>> >> This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a
>> >> VCR
>> >for
>> >> years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials
>> >> and
>> >> automatically skips over them.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks
>> >> Nick
>> >>
>> >What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to have
>> >one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to

> black
>> >scene change?

>>
>> I believe those VCRs look for the second or two of blank screen that
>> sometimes comes before and after the commercials. However, with some
>> networks using bumpers instead of a blank screen and others, like CBS,
>> leaving their logo on when the screen would otherwise be blank, I'm
>> not sure how well the auto commercial skip feature still works?

>
>
> Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....
>
> I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
> fade to black scene change and a commercial break.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Biz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
I see now, so it actually jsut records everything, and puts index marks
where it thinks the commercials are at, that makes sense, but it certainly
would make more sense and save time if the recording device would just
insert the indexes during the recording process instead of after.

"nickmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EFrrd.700502$8_6.125136@attbi_s04...
> Biz,
> Sorry about the delay with my response.
> It's a Panasonic PV-VS4821 . It has commercial advance. Commercial skip is
> the one that you can skip forward in 30 second or 1 minute intervals.
> Commercial Advance records a program then goes back to the start of the
> recording and finds the pauses before and after the commercials and sets
> markers which when the recording is played back advances rapidly over the
> commercial. It works right about 95% of the time. That's why I'm looking

for
> a DVD Recorder that does the same. From the messages here it looks like
> there are DVD Recorders that have a commercial skip feature or I can go
> through the recording and mark the commercials myself but then I would be
> seeing parts of the program in advance which is what I'd like to avoid.
>
> Nick
>
>
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:K6qrd.1011997$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Jon Purkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:27:34 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> >"nickmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> >news:RK4rd.693968$8_6.570835@attbi_s04...
> >> >> Do all DVD Recorders have the ability to skip over commercials or is

> > this
> >> >a
> >> >> special feature I have to look for.
> >> >> Does anyone know how this works? Can I set it to automatically skip

> > the
> >> >> commercials during playback or do I have to FF manually when it
> >> >> reaches

> > a
> >> >> commercial.
> >> >>
> >> >> This is the most important feature I am looking for as I have had a
> >> >> VCR
> >> >for
> >> >> years that sets markers at the beginning and end of the commercials
> >> >> and
> >> >> automatically skips over them.
> >> >>
> >> >> Thanks
> >> >> Nick
> >> >>
> >> >What make/model of vcr does this automatically, cos I would love to

have
> >> >one. How does it know when a commercial is coming on vs. a fade to

> > black
> >> >scene change?
> >>
> >> I believe those VCRs look for the second or two of blank screen that
> >> sometimes comes before and after the commercials. However, with some
> >> networks using bumpers instead of a blank screen and others, like CBS,
> >> leaving their logo on when the screen would otherwise be blank, I'm
> >> not sure how well the auto commercial skip feature still works?

> >
> >
> > Thats why I asked nickmed for more info, but it seems he is MIA....
> >
> > I dont know how a VCR(or any device) could tell the difference between a
> > fade to black scene change and a commercial break.
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon Purkey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2004
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:34:12 GMT, "nickmed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> From the messages here it looks like
>there are DVD Recorders that have a commercial skip feature or I can go
>through the recording and mark the commercials myself but then I would be
>seeing parts of the program in advance which is what I'd like to avoid.


Before watching a show I first set chapter breaks before and after the
commercials. I do this by hitting pause and then use commercial skip
to jump ahead a minute or two at a time. I'm only seeing one frame
ever minute or two so there are no spoilers. When I get to a
commercial frame (usually the first frame without the network logo) I
back up to the start of the commercials and set a chapter break. I
then FFwd and set another chapter break at the end of the commercials.
Once I've set chapter breaks for all commercials I then delete the all
commercial chapters. I have a Panasonic recorder.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))
For a quicker reply by email please use the
address found here: http://tinyurl.com/o8ka
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TIVO, DVD Recorders to Be USELESS Kenny Computer Support 2 10-03-2005 05:35 PM
DVD recorders/burners with hard disks - which ones allow editing before burning to DVD-R? Dan E DVD Video 2 06-06-2005 03:05 PM
DVD Recorders Andy Mann Computer Support 5 04-16-2005 09:45 AM
Panasonic DMR recorders: DVD > DVD backups possible? Jonny Q. DVD Video 4 11-02-2004 04:44 PM
Panasonic DMR-E50 vs Philips DVD-R70 DVD Recorders. Faulty 16:9 recording aspect ratio? metn41 DVD Video 11 08-05-2003 09:16 AM



Advertisments