Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Terrible Star Wars boxset sound

Terrible Star Wars boxset sound

Jim Hollis

After finally getting down to playing some of the discs last week. Whomever
was responsible for the mixes ought to be ashamed. Nmuerous areas on "A New
Hope" where the music was totally obliterated by all the sound effects,
etc.

Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered to
correct their mistakes as yet??

luminos

"Jim Hollis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k_yqd.7583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After finally getting down to playing some of the discs last week.
> Whomever
> was responsible for the mixes ought to be ashamed. Nmuerous areas on "A
> New
> Hope" where the music was totally obliterated by all the sound effects,
> etc.
>
> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered to
> correct their mistakes as yet??

Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
channels "is intentional."

Matt Robinson

> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
> channels "is intentional."

No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys

Meng

Matt Robinson wrote:

>>Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
>>channels "is intentional."

> No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys

Er, so why didn't he get it right first time?

luminos

"Matt Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3CGqd.815$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
>> channels "is intentional."

> No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys

I doubt it.

Jay G.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:19 GMT, Matt Robinson wrote:

>> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
>> channels "is intentional."

> No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys

He may know more on how to construct a soundtrack than any of us, but that
doesn't mean a casual listener isn't capable of finding errors that he or
everyone else involved may have missed.

It's like with film criticism. One doesn't have to be an actor to know
when someone's acting is bad. One doesn't have to be a director to know
that a film is bad. And one doesn't have to be a sound designer to know
when something is wrong with the soundtrack.

-Jay

luminos

"Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1ckyjn6t6s6j7.o2dfgxkyaoxm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:45:19 GMT, Matt Robinson wrote:
>
>>> Oh yes they have. The problems including the reversal of surround music
>>> channels "is intentional."

>> No offence, but I think Ben Burt knows what he's doing more than you guys
>>

> He may know more on how to construct a soundtrack than any of us, but that
> doesn't mean a casual listener isn't capable of finding errors that he or
> everyone else involved may have missed.
>
> It's like with film criticism. One doesn't have to be an actor to know
> when someone's acting is bad. One doesn't have to be a director to know
> that a film is bad. And one doesn't have to be a sound designer to know
> when something is wrong with the soundtrack.
>
> -Jay

I do experimentation in multichannel sound, so I guess I am not a casual
listener. It is very obvious, however, that right front speaker trombones
have their reflected sound out of the left rear surround (and so on). Not a
very professional result, I would say. The balances at times are, I would
say, bizarre. Did anyone really listen to this before it was sent to press?
[Please compare this to the laserdisc superbox edition for verification.]

FAQmeister

"Jim Hollis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:k_yqd.7583$(E-Mail Removed)
> After finally getting down to playing some of the discs last week.
> Whomever was responsible for the mixes ought to be ashamed. Nmuerous
> areas on "A New Hope" where the music was totally obliterated by all
> the sound effects, etc.
>
> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
> to correct their mistakes as yet??

Why would they?

Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I didn't
notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often have to
adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I turn up the
sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the sound when the
sound effects kick in.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

TB

"FAQmeister" wrote:

>> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
>> to correct their mistakes as yet??

> Why would they?
>
> Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I didn't
> notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often have to
> adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I turn up the
> sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the sound when the
> sound effects kick in.

Maybe you should stick to vhs tapes. The heady concept of multi-channel
soundtracks seems to be to much for a sophisticated guy like you.

(and this is the genius who thinks he can write a dvd "FAQ.")

T.B.

FAQmeister

"TB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7aSqd.24241$(E-Mail Removed)
> "FAQmeister" wrote:
>
>>> Has Fox or Lucas ever owned up to this colossal screw up and offered
>>> to correct their mistakes as yet??

>> Why would they?
>>
>> Maybe I'm not that picky or I'm just used to crappy sound, but I
>> didn't notice any real problems with the sound on Star Wars. I often
>> have to adjust the sound up and down during just about any movie. I
>> turn up the sound to hear the dialog, then I have to turn down the
>> sound when the sound effects kick in.

> Maybe you should stick to vhs tapes. The heady concept of
> multi-channel soundtracks seems to be to much for a sophisticated guy
> like you.
>
> (and this is the genius who thinks he can write a dvd "FAQ.")
>
> T.B.

Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments. However, I have a
very nice (and not inexpensive) home theatre sound system, so I do in
fact appreciate the concept. --