Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > High Definition DVD on shelves?

High Definition DVD on shelves?

Marshall Dudley

I just saw a boxed set of Seinfeld season 30 episodes of 1-3 years DVD
boxed set at Walmart today. The box claims that it is the first high
definition DVD available. What's going on here?

There are no HD DVD players yet, so what do you play it on?
The HD DVD format has not been finalized yet, so how can they even know
it will work when players are available?
Or is this a big marketing lie? And if so, how can they think they can
get away with it?

I was interested in the set, but if it is HD, there is no way it would
play on my present player, yet there are no warnings on the box about
this. Anyone know what is going on here?

Marshall

Brian The Demolition Man Little

Marshall Dudley wrote:
> I just saw a boxed set of Seinfeld season 30 episodes of 1-3 years DVD
> boxed set at Walmart today. The box claims that it is the first high
> definition DVD available. What's going on here?

No, its just saying that the source material for the DVD itself was
mastered in HD. The final DVDs (like the ones you saw at Wal-Mart)
are standard DVDs.

Brian The Demolition Man Little

drsd2kill

I think what it says is they were "mastered in high definition" for the first
time, which they were. They went back to the film and re-transferred and
re-edited the episodes to conform to the finished shows (TV shows shot on film
are now always transferred to video to be edited, so the original film is never
edited - a big task to have it all re-transferred and re-edited). The video
quality of the episodes is thus MUCH higher than it would've been, while the
high definition master has been donwconverted for standard DVD.

poldy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (drsd2kill) wrote:

> I think what it says is they were "mastered in high definition" for the first
> time, which they were. They went back to the film and re-transferred and
> re-edited the episodes to conform to the finished shows (TV shows shot on
> film
> are now always transferred to video to be edited, so the original film is
> never
> edited - a big task to have it all re-transferred and re-edited). The video
> quality of the episodes is thus MUCH higher than it would've been, while the
> high definition master has been donwconverted for standard DVD.

This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
titles.

So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

Of course, the first two seasons have kind of low production values.
Even though it's shot on film (so the resolution should be worthy of
HDTV), it's probably not widescreen film.

Mike Kohary

Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
> Marshall Dudley wrote:
>> I just saw a boxed set of Seinfeld season 30 episodes of 1-3 years
>> DVD boxed set at Walmart today. The box claims that it is the first
>> high definition DVD available. What's going on here?

> No, its just saying that the source material for the DVD itself was
> mastered in HD. The final DVDs (like the ones you saw at Wal-Mart)
> are standard DVDs.

What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show?

Mike Kohary wrote:
> What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show?

Already done that.

Brian The Demolition Man Little
I suggest people who care to do a search on Google to see
how I feel about crap like "Seinfeld" and "Friends."

Joshua Zyber

"poldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
> releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
> now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
> titles.
>
> So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
> Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their entire
catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how long
it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.

Biz

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5Vrqd.3089$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "poldy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is a Columbia Tristar release. CT has already committed to
> > releasing material on Blu-Ray discs when the format debuts a year from
> > now. They've been preparing their masters to quickly release Blu-Ray
> > titles.
> >
> > So if they keep the rights to Seinfeld a year from now, we could see
> > Seinfeld in high-definition BR discs.

> Do you honest believe that the studio is going to reissue their entire
> catalog all at once as soon as the new format comes out? Look how long
> it took us to get friggin' Star Wars and Indiana Jones on DVD.

The reasons that Star Wars and Indy werent released on DVD havent got
anything to do with new formats, so why would you make such a poor and wrong
comparison?

Mike Kohary

Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
> Mike Kohary wrote:
>> What, you're not going to tell us what you think of the show?

> Already done that.
>
> Brian The Demolition Man Little
> I suggest people who care to do a search on Google to see
> how I feel about crap like "Seinfeld" and "Friends."

I hope you know I was just kidding with you...

Mike Kohary wrote:
> I hope you know I was just kidding with you...

Hard to tell sometimes round here.

Brian The Demolition Man Little
You know, with all the flame wars and such its hard
to tell when someone is just joking.