Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Seinfeld master format questions?

Seinfeld master format questions?

Michael Rogers

I expected the episodes of Seinfeld to have the problems of all late
80's, early 90's shows have since they were most probabaly final
mastered to videotape instead of film.

They don't. The video is not reference quality mind you, but it's
certainly much better than I ever thought it would be taking into
consideration what I thought the master format was (broadcast
videotape).

The package said it was mastered to high definition. I wonder if they
actually went back to the film elements to do the mastering.

Does anyone have the info on that?

Mike

drsd2kill

Indeed they did. It was a long and expensive process, but the episodes were
retransferred and edited from the raw film masters. Too bad they didn't do that
with FRIENDS, though eventually they probably will so it can be syndicated in
HD and be re-released on high definition DVD.

Michael Rogers

yeah, and too bad they didn't do ti with Star Trek:The Next Generation
though it would've been much tougher to pull that off.

Best,
Mike

drsd2kill wrote:

> Indeed they did. It was a long and expensive process, but the episodes were
> retransferred and edited from the raw film masters. Too bad they didn't do that
> with FRIENDS, though eventually they probably will so it can be syndicated in
> HD and be re-released on high definition DVD.

TonyAtRest

>They don't. The video is not reference quality mind you, but it's
>certainly much better than I ever thought it would be taking into
>consideration what I thought the master format was (broadcast
>videotape).

Yeah it's great, except for the pilot.

tony

"I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."

Buzzcocks, 1976