Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD to VHS

DVD to VHS

natch

I am trying to copy DVD to VHS and am confused how this whole
Macrovision thing works and how to circumvent it. I have had a DVD
player for 4 years, actually one for 3 and a new one for 1. I have had
two VCR's as well. All three plus a cable box were hooked up to my tv.
Fairly often I will rent a DVD at Blockbuster and have to return in in
3 days yet I havent had time to watch the extras or maybe I want to
hear the commentary. So I copy the DVD over to VHS before returning it
and I can see it at my lesiure. It works fine.
I needed to replace both VCR's and in doing some research have been
hearing about this Macrovision encoding, and how "newer" models have
it. So I buy two new VCR's and now I cant copy DVD to VHS. That would
lead me to include the macrovision encoding is in the VCR not the DVD.
Afterall Ive been copying DVD to VHS fine for years right? But in
doing some more reading I read that it is the DVD player with the
encoding. How can that be? I am confused. I hear that there are ways
to "crack" it. I also see you can buy devices to circumvent it, though
they all seem to be european. These are the units I have -

DVD Panasonic DVD S35
VCR 1 Panasonic PV-V4524S
VCR 2 - Sony SLV N750 (or N760)

Any enlightenment on what is going on and any help in circumventing
this is most appreciated.

Biz

If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be watching
it at the same time. Look for a SIMA Color Corrector Pro, or rip it to your
pc and dub at your leisure.

"natch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I am trying to copy DVD to VHS and am confused how this whole
> Macrovision thing works and how to circumvent it. I have had a DVD
> player for 4 years, actually one for 3 and a new one for 1. I have had
> two VCR's as well. All three plus a cable box were hooked up to my tv.
> Fairly often I will rent a DVD at Blockbuster and have to return in in
> 3 days yet I havent had time to watch the extras or maybe I want to
> hear the commentary. So I copy the DVD over to VHS before returning it
> and I can see it at my lesiure. It works fine.
> I needed to replace both VCR's and in doing some research have been
> hearing about this Macrovision encoding, and how "newer" models have
> it. So I buy two new VCR's and now I cant copy DVD to VHS. That would
> lead me to include the macrovision encoding is in the VCR not the DVD.
> Afterall Ive been copying DVD to VHS fine for years right? But in
> doing some more reading I read that it is the DVD player with the
> encoding. How can that be? I am confused. I hear that there are ways
> to "crack" it. I also see you can buy devices to circumvent it, though
> they all seem to be european. These are the units I have -
>
> DVD Panasonic DVD S35
> VCR 1 Panasonic PV-V4524S
> VCR 2 - Sony SLV N750 (or N760)
>
> Any enlightenment on what is going on and any help in circumventing
> this is most appreciated.

DavesVideo

Biz said:

>>If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be watching

it at the same time.>>

I don't follow your reasoning. Do you mean that if you were to copy something
you would have to sit and watch it the whole time. Most recorders are automatic
once you push the button. The extras would require some intervention, but not
full time monitoring.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Biz

"DavesVideo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Biz said:
>
> >>If you've got time to record it in realtime, you might as well be

watching
> it at the same time.>>
>
> I don't follow your reasoning. Do you mean that if you were to copy

something
> you would have to sit and watch it the whole time. Most recorders are

automatic
> once you push the button. The extras would require some intervention, but

not
> full time monitoring.

The extras was exactly what the OP was referring to, having to come back all
the time, to choose the next featurette, etc.., and doing it to a schedule
based on the length of each extra, might as well just sit and watch the darn
things.

Jon Purkey

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:41:34 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The extras was exactly what the OP was referring to, having to come back all
>the time, to choose the next featurette, etc.., and doing it to a schedule
>based on the length of each extra, might as well just sit and watch the darn
>things.

Yes, but you can be copying the DVD to tape while watching live TV.
Just switch the output every now and then to see how the copying is
going.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))

Jimmy Phillips

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:14:37 -0800, natch wrote:

> Ive been copying DVD to VHS fine for years right? But in doing some more
> reading I read that it is the DVD player with the encoding. How can that
> be? I am confused. I hear that there are ways to "crack" it. I also see
> you can buy devices to circumvent it, though they all seem to be european.
> These are the units I have -

Macrovision is a sync killer written on the medium - either DVD or Tape -
that prevents VCR or non-professional capture equipment from receiving a
decent signal from a protected medium. There are several levels of MV but
most are so trivial they can be bypassed with a paperclip and a piece of
barbed wire. Macrovision sucks in several ways, including degrading the
picture on ALL TVs and causing blue scan lines on many large screen TVs.
I have hated MV and the company ever since I bought my first big screen TV
(for a fortune back in those days) and most VCR tapes would not show
properly.

DeCSS is an encryption to prevent DVD copying or playing on a PC. It is
on the DVD disk itself. If you are a programmer it is trivial to bypass.
If not, there are multiple decryptor programs out there.

I am not sure why you want to rip hi quality DVDs to VCR tape rather than
to hard disk or another DVD, but killing DeCSS or Macrovision is a simple
process with several paths to do it.

1.
If you are in the US, get a DVD player from below the border. I picked up
4 new Phillips macrovision-free players for about 60 dollars about 100
feet inside Mexico. Apparently everything sent south of the US from the
Asia plants can't be given away if it has Macrovision on it. Had to pay
duty, but that was trivial.

2.
Download a copy of DVDShrink. It will blow away every lock on a dvd and
then you can just copy to whatever you want. Or if you insist on VHS,
play it out to a recorder.

3.
Get a professional capture card - most if not all do not recognise
Macrovision.

4.
Get a sync corrector like Sima. However, this is probably the least
satisfactory solution. You will always lose some quality.

5.
Find an old 1980s stereo VCR (tape mechanism doesn't have to work) and put
it between the DVD and the recording VCR. Most built back in those days
will not pass the Macrovision on to the next device. I have also used
this trick on a new Sony TV with a Video out jack.

(snip)
(87 more ways to kill the ~!@#$% Macrovision signal.)

JP