Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD burner recommendation

DVD burner recommendation

Aquilonious

I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
(with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
intentions of making illegal backups!

I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:

NEC ND-3005A
BenQ DW1620A
Lite-On SOHW-1633
Toshiba SD-R5372

I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
(Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
(it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
48x, though it also has problems with certain media.

Any recommendations?

Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

Owl Jolson

Go with a Sony. They're well worth the $$$. I haven't burnt a coaster yet!

"Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
> (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
> intentions of making illegal backups!
>
> I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
>
> NEC ND-3005A
> BenQ DW1620A
> Lite-On SOHW-1633
> Toshiba SD-R5372
>

> I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
> copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
> problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
> read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
> (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
> handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
> Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
> (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
> DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
> 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

Pug Fugley

Well, add the Pioneer 108 to your list, remove all the others, and you'll be
on the right track!

"Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
> (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
> intentions of making illegal backups!
>
> I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
>
> NEC ND-3005A
> BenQ DW1620A
> Lite-On SOHW-1633
> Toshiba SD-R5372
>

> I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
> copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
> problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
> read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
> (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
> handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
> Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
> (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
> DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
> 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

Pug Fugley

"Owl Jolson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go with a Sony. They're well worth the $$$. I haven't burnt a coaster

yet!

Sony drives are actually Lite On drives with a Sony sticker. You can get a
Lite On for half the price.

> "Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
> > (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
> > intentions of making illegal backups!
> >
> > I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
> >
> > NEC ND-3005A
> > BenQ DW1620A
> > Lite-On SOHW-1633
> > Toshiba SD-R5372
> >

> > I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
> > copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
> > problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
> > read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
> > (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
> > handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
> > Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
> > (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
> > DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
> > 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

IQ

Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

"Pug Fugley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%lold.2600$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Well, add the Pioneer 108 to your list, remove all the others, and you'll
> be
> on the right track!
>

> "Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
>> (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
>> intentions of making illegal backups!
>>
>> I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
>>
>> NEC ND-3005A
>> BenQ DW1620A
>> Lite-On SOHW-1633
>> Toshiba SD-R5372
>>

>> I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
>> copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
>> problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
>> read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
>> (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
>> handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
>> Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
>> (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
>> DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
>> 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

Robotman

"Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
> (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
> intentions of making illegal backups!
>
> I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
>
> NEC ND-3005A
> BenQ DW1620A
> Lite-On SOHW-1633
> Toshiba SD-R5372
>

> I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
> copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
> problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
> read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
> (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
> handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
> Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
> (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
> DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
> 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

I have a liteon 812 and it would not consistently burn good quality dvd
backups.

I have a few friends with Pioneer burners and every disk i have tried from
them have worked fine.

I have since bought a Pioneer 108 and it burns perfect disks everytime at 8
speed.

Robotman.

LASERandDVDfan

>Sony drives are actually Lite On drives with a Sony sticker. You can get a
>Lite On for half the price.

If we were talking about Sony CD-ROM, CD burners, or DVD-ROM drives, then yes,
they're Lite-On OEMs.

But, in the case of dual layer DVD burners, Sony makes them by themselves at
this time, and they write DVDs faster with less compatibility problems on other
DVD drives than Lite-On dual layer burners.

The Sony dual layer burner is probably the overall best at this time. The only
drive that has one edge over the Sony is Pioneer, and that's only by a very
slim speed margin. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
>They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

Name at least one, then, that actually does give a rat's ass.

I haven't run into any company that has had decent customer service for their
computer parts. This is getting worse as more and more companies are
outsourcing their customer hotline hubs over to India. A lot refer customers
to website FAQ and troubleshooting pages devoid of any live help. - Reinhart

power

Hands down the best drive on that list is the NEC-3500. I have a NEC 2510A
and a 3500A. I getting rid of my 2510 and getting another 3500A. I loved
the 2510A until I got the 3500........The 3500 Rips at 12X and writes on
Imation media at 12X !!!! Amazing !

"Aquilonious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm looking for a good DVD burner to make backup copies of my games
> (with SecureROM, Safedisc 2/3) and movies. And no, I have NO
> intentions of making illegal backups!
>
> I'm considering one of the following DVD burners:
>
> NEC ND-3005A
> BenQ DW1620A
> Lite-On SOHW-1633
> Toshiba SD-R5372
>

> I've had good luck with my Lite-On 52327S CD-RW drive making backup
> copies of CDs using Alcohol 120%, but I've heard the SOHW-1633 has
> problems with various media (Anandtech). The NEC supposedly doesn't
> read poor quality CDs and CDs burned in other drives very well
> (Digit-Life). There are conflicting reviews on the NEC's ability to
> handle error correction. CDRinfo gave the BenQ an Editor's Choice but
> Anandtech didn't rate it that well in their Fall Review of DVD drives
> (it doesn't support C2 error information). The Toshiba can write to
> DVD+R DL media at 5x, read 2x DVD-RAM discs, and has a CDR speed of
> 48x, though it also has problems with certain media.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Maybe recommend a drive not on this list?

Mac Breck

"LASERandDVDfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Go with any other DVD burner other than SONY.
> >They couldn`t give a rat`s ass about customers

> Name at least one, then, that actually does give a rat's

ass.

> I haven't run into any company that has had decent

customer service for their
> computer parts. This is getting worse as more and more

companies are
> outsourcing their customer hotline hubs over to India. A

lot refer customers
> to website FAQ and troubleshooting pages devoid of any

live help. - Reinhart

Reinhart,

I've been out of this for awhile, and never got into DVD
burners. My current CD burner, a 650 MB Yamaha 4x4x16 is
dead, and I need to replace it. Been thinking about going
to a DVD burner if it can also burn CDs, is SCSI, and can
burn/read the several hundred 650 MB CD-R/CD-RW discs I have
laying around. Got a URL describing the specs of the
Pioneer 108?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC