Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster Offers $700M for Hollywood Entertainment.

Blockbuster Offers $700M for Hollywood Entertainment.

One-Shot Scot

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Associated Press

DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
Shares of both companies rose.

Stan Brown

"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
>Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
>Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
>Shares of both companies rose.

And spirits of movie viewers fell.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

Nonymous

> "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>>DALLAS - Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) has offered $700 million for rival
>>Hollywood Entertainment Corp. (HLWY) in a deal that would extend
>>Blockbuster's position as the world's largest movie rental company.
>>Shares of both companies rose.

*That's* the way to kill off Netflix. Buy a rival brick store so you can
double your inventory of Shrek 2, The Day After Tomorrow, Mean Girls, and
Scooby-Doo 2.

Bob D.

A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

Bob D.

Invid Fan

In article <uHYkd.329302$wV.132732@attbi_s54>, Bob D.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
> Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
> Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film...

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

kaydigi

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:121120041424035939%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <uHYkd.329302$wV.132732@attbi_s54>, Bob D.
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc.

Is
> > Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos

for
> > Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.
> >

> A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
> HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film...

lol

Reginald Dwight

In article <121120041424035939%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Invid Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
> > Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
> > Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.
> >

> A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
> HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film...

Netflix is not releasing movies. They are a *video store* that happens
to be big and online. The branding is just that and it's done by the
same folks that release the retail versions.

Derek Janssen

Invid Fan wrote:

>>A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
>>Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
>>Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

> A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
> HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film...

There ARE no "Netflix exclusive" titles (or at least, there haven't been
since "Croupier"...Bad idea, bad time for the company)--
There are, however, movies Netflix managed to license that other
companies were too small or clueless to pick up.

I've seen Netflix-labeled disks, and these were mostly either private
re-pressings by the studios (eg. '99-'00 Anchor Bay titles that the
"messed-up" pre-01 Netflix missed earlier when they were boycotting the
studio) or repackaging of multi-disk sets (eg. TV boxes, bonus disks).
As the old punchline goes, that's what you can do when you're big and
rich (and established in the online-rental industry).

Derek Janssen

Keld Landin-Petersen

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Invid Fan wrote:
>
> >>A few of the DVDs I've gotten from Netflix have their logo on the disc. Is
> >>Netflix releasing out of print movies on their own label? If so, kudos for
> >>Netflix. That's how to beat the competition.

> > A Netflix exclusive title is no different then a DIVIX exclusive. If I
> > HAVE to pay a monthly fee to see a particular film...

> There ARE no "Netflix exclusive" titles (or at least, there haven't been
> since "Croupier"...Bad idea, bad time for the company)--
> There are, however, movies Netflix managed to license that other
> companies were too small or clueless to pick up.
>
> I've seen Netflix-labeled disks, and these were mostly either private
> re-pressings by the studios (eg. '99-'00 Anchor Bay titles that the
> "messed-up" pre-01 Netflix missed earlier when they were boycotting the
> studio) or repackaging of multi-disk sets (eg. TV boxes, bonus disks).
> As the old punchline goes, that's what you can do when you're big and
> rich (and established in the online-rental industry).
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)

Still, a title like Willard is a "netflix release" - seems to be
identical to the retail, though.

Keld Landin-Petersen

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Keld Landin-Petersen) wrote:

> Still, a title like Willard is a "netflix release" - seems to be
> identical to the retail, though.

??? Who said it wasn't?