Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Gone With The Wind, which version?

Gone With The Wind, which version?

Del March

Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of the
movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released a few years
ago?

Stephen Cooke

On 11 Nov 2004, Del March wrote:

> Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of the
> movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released a few years
> ago?

No, in this version the North shoots first.

swac

P Pron

Del March wrote:
> Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of
> the movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released
> a few years ago?

What politically correct hackjob is that?

paul

MarkZimmerman

>Del March wrote:
>> Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of
>> the movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released
>> a few years ago?

>What politically correct hackjob is that?
>
>paul

The version where the Lithuanians shoots first and the Estonians cum from
behind and win it in an all out bang up job at Gettysburg!
Best,

Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

Del March

<< What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

P Pron

Del March wrote:
> << What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

There's a 2-part article at http://www.filmtribune.com/censorship.html which
says (in part 2) that -

".........it must be remembered that without the [Motion Picture Production]
Code, the word "nigger" would also have been in the 1939 classic, as it was
Breen who insisted that the word should be left out. Would "Gone With the
Wind" be a classic now if this pejorative and offensive word had crept in
the final script?"

Do you know something different? Or is your claim a myth that hasn't reached
Snopes.com yet?

paul

Card53

>Del March wrote:
>> << What politically correct hackjob is that? >>

>> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.There's a 2-part

>article at http://www.filmtribune.com/censorship.html which says (in part 2)
>that -".........it must be remembered that without the [Motion Picture
>Production] Code, the word "nigger" would also have been in the 1939 classic,
>as it was Breen who insisted that the word should be left out. Would "Gone
>With the Wind" be a classic now if this pejorative and offensive word had
>crept in the final script?"Do you know something different? Or is your claim
>a myth that hasn't reached Snopes.com yet?paul

There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW and no edited or
"hackjob" print has ever been issued. The only butchery the film has ever
undergone was when it was cropped for the 70mm release in 1967. But "cropped"
is not to be confused with "edited."

John Larrabee
Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
http://laurelandhardycentral.com

(To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

Mike Kohary

Del March wrote:
> << What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
>
> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

I don't recall a time that that word was ever in the movie.

jayembee

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Del March wrote:
>>> What politically correct hackjob is that?

>> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

> I don't recall a time that that word was ever in the movie.

Well, see, there you go!

-- jayembee

One-Shot Scot

"Card53" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<<There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW and no
edited or "hackjob" print has ever been issued. The only butchery the
film has ever undergone was when it was cropped for the 70mm release in
1967. But "cropped" is not to be confused with "edited.">>

Of course, the "N" word appeared in the book, big time. But, even with a
segregated South, the movie was still being prepared during 1938-1939, a
time of impending world war. It would have been difficult to harp on the
good old Southern days, whose virtues were founded on genocide and
slavery, when the US would soon be rallying all of its citizens to
defeat similar governments.

Hitler was rounding up certain racial groups into concentration camps
where they were enslaved and then killed. Only 50 years earlier,
American Indians were still being exterminated or forced to live in
concentration camps, which were called "reservations." The evil Japanese
were damned for enslaving the Chinese and Manchurians, yet only 75 years
earlier, blacks were still working as slaves in the southern American
states. In the Western United States, Japanese-American citizens would
soon be rounded up, stripped of their rights and property and placed in
relocation camps -- "for their own protection."

It was easy for all non-white Americans to see the irony of their being
called upon to defeat the racial injustices outside of the US when
vestiges of these same injustices remained in their own country.
Therefore, _Gone With The Wind_ had to be cleansed of such things as
slave auctions, beatings, lynchings and the Ku Klux Klan. Scarlett did
beat the crap out of Prissy once and the KKK meeting was referred to as
a "political" meeting. But overall, the movie was totally sanitized and
it was the suffering of the white Southerners that was emphasized.

About as close as the movie came to using the 'N" word was when Ashley
was reminiscing about his good old slave-master days: "Oh, the lazy
days, the warm, still country twilights, the high, soft Negro laughter
from the quarters, the golden warmth and security of those days." The
"golden warmth and security of those days" didn't exist for slaves who
were worked hard, beaten, forced to live in hovels and often sold
"down the river", far away from their families.

The Yankee-loving Scalawag, Rhett Butler, called Prissy "a simple-minded
darky" as Atlanta was burning and later did a musical number with Dr.
Meade and Ashley after their escapades on Decatur Road: "All the darkys
and I sing ...."

But through it all, the "N" word was never used in the script of _GWTW_.