Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Gone With The Wind: Outstanding Warner Packaging.

Gone With The Wind: Outstanding Warner Packaging.

One-Shot Scot

I know that there are many on this newsgroup who feel that _Gone With
The Wind_ is an overlong, corny Civil War soap opera. While this may be
true, the movie has a certain addictive quality that is impossible to
dismiss. In any event, the latest 2-disk movie DVD version of _Gone With
The Wind_ looks and sounds better than it ever has on home video. The
Wal-Mart price for this $40 list price set was $24.48, and this is the
best price that I have seen.

My post does not concern the movie, but rather, its packaging. Warner
has managed to produce 4 flawless DVDs and then place them into a
gatefold package with no discernable scratches or fingerprints. In
addition to this, all of the disks perform flawlessly and there is
absolutely no vibration when they are in the player. Universal has
accomplished the same feat with its multi-disc packages, including its
Monster series.

On the other hand, Disney is still having problems with its
multiple-disk packaging. Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented
tins are well known Disney problems:

It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
"Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.

My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
_Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:

Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.

Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.

By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
probably out of the data area.

On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.

On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
set.

With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
the undamaged parts of two or more sets.

Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
from the sets that I kept:

Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000

On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000

I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
out of the same initial shipment.

Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
appreciate their shoddy product?

1-800-723-4763 (US)

1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

Mac Breck

"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know that there are many on this newsgroup who feel that

_Gone With
> The Wind_ is an overlong, corny Civil War soap opera.

While this may be
> true, the movie has a certain addictive quality that is

impossible to
> dismiss. In any event, the latest 2-disk movie DVD version

of _Gone With
> The Wind_ looks and sounds better than it ever has on home

video. The
> Wal-Mart price for this $40 list price set was $24.48, and

this is the
> best price that I have seen.
>
> My post does not concern the movie, but rather, its

packaging. Warner
> has managed to produce 4 flawless DVDs and then place them

into a
> gatefold package with no discernable scratches or

fingerprints. In
> addition to this, all of the disks perform flawlessly and

there is
> absolutely no vibration when they are in the player.

If only they could manage this with their Babylon 5 Season
Set and Movie Collection packaging. <rolleyes> So far, out
of my six sets, they're 0 for 6 on being securely fastened
to their hubs and without scratches when the shrinkwrap was
removed.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC