Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Evidence Mounts That The Vote Was Hacked

Evidence Mounts That The Vote Was Hacked

Jas

Evidence Mounts That The Vote Was Hacked

by Thom Hartmann http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0411/S00102.htm
When I spoke with Jeff Fisher this morning (Saturday, November 06, 2004),
the Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from
Florida's 16th District said he was waiting for the FBI to show up. Fisher
has evidence, he says, not only that the Florida election was hacked, but of
who hacked it and how. And not just this year, he said, but that these same
people had previously hacked the Democratic primary race in 2002 so that Jeb
Bush would not have to run against Janet Reno, who presented a real threat
to Jeb, but instead against Bill McBride, who Jeb beat.

"It was practice for a national effort," Fisher told me.

And some believe evidence is accumulating that the national effort happened
on November 2, 2004.

The State of Florida, for example, publishes a county-by-county record of
votes cast and people registered to vote by party affiliation. Net denizen
Kathy Dopp compiled the official state information into a table, available
at http://ustogether.org/Florida_Election.htm, and noticed something
startling.

While the heavily scrutinized touch-screen voting machines seemed to produce
results in which the registered Democrat/Republican ratios largely matched
the Kerry/Bush vote, in Florida's counties using results from optically
scanned paper ballots - fed into a central tabulator PC and thus vulnerable
to hacking - the results seem to contain substantial anomalies.

In Baker County, for example, with 12,887 registered voters, 69.3% of them
Democrats and 24.3% of them Republicans, the vote was only 2,180 for Kerry
and 7,738 for Bush, the opposite of what is seen everywhere else in the
country where registered Democrats largely voted for Kerry.

In Dixie County, with 4,988 registered voters, 77.5% of them Democrats and a
mere 15% registered as Republicans, only 1,959 people voted for Kerry, but
4,433 voted for Bush.

The pattern repeats over and over again - but only in the counties where
optical scanners were used. Franklin County, 77.3% registered Democrats,
went 58.5% for Bush. Holmes County, 72.7% registered Democrats, went 77.25%
for Bush.

Yet in the touch-screen counties, where investigators may have been more
vigorously looking for such anomalies, high percentages of registered
Democrats generally equaled high percentages of votes for Kerry. (I had
earlier reported that county size was a variable - this turns out not to be
the case. Just the use of touch-screens versus optical scanners.)

More visual analysis of the results can be seen at
http://ustogether.org/election04/FloridaDataStats.htm, and
http://www.rubberbug.com/temp/Florida2004chart.htm. Note the trend line -
the only variable that determines a swing toward Bush was the use of optical
scan machines.

One possible explanation for this is the "Dixiecrat" theory, that in Florida
white voters (particularly the rural ones) have been registered as Democrats
for years, but voting Republican since Reagan. Looking at the 2000
statistics, also available on Dopp's site, there are similar anomalies,
although the trends are not as strong as in 2004. But some suggest the 2000
election may have been questionable in Florida, too.

One of the people involved in Dopp's analysis noted that it may be possible
to determine the validity of the "rural Democrat" theory by comparing
Florida's white rural counties to those of Pennsylvania, another swing state
but one that went for Kerry, as the exit polls there predicted.
Interestingly, the Pennsylvania analysis, available at
http://ustogether.org/election04/PA_vote_patt.htm, doesn't show the same
kind of swings as does Florida, lending credence to the possibility of
problems in Florida.

Even more significantly, Dopp had first run the analysis while filtering out
smaller (rural) counties, and still found that the only variable that
accounted for a swing toward Republican voting was the use of optical-scan
machines, whereas counties with touch-screen machines generally didn't
swing - regardless of size.

Others offer similar insights, based on other data. A professor at the
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, noted that in Florida the vote to
raise the minimum wage was approved by 72%, although Kerry got 48%. "The
correlation between voting for the minimum wage increase and voting for
Kerry isn't likely to be perfect," he noted, "but one would normally expect
that the gap - of 1.5 million votes - to be far smaller than it was."

While all of this may or may not be evidence of vote tampering, it again
brings the nation back to the question of why several states using
electronic voting machines or scanners programmed by private, for-profit
corporations and often connected to modems produced votes inconsistent with
exit poll numbers.

Those exit poll results have been a problem for reporters ever since
Election Day.

Election night, I'd been doing live election coverage for WDEV, one of the
radio stations that carries my syndicated show, and, just after midnight,
during the 12:20 a.m. Associated Press Radio News feed, I was startled to
hear the reporter detail how Karen Hughes had earlier sat George W. Bush
down to inform him that he'd lost the election. The exit polls were clear:
Kerry was winning in a landslide. "Bush took the news stoically," noted the
AP report.

But then the computers reported something different. In several pivotal
states.

Conservatives see a conspiracy here: They think the exit polls were rigged.

Dick Morris, the infamous political consultant to the first Clinton campaign
who became a Republican consultant and Fox News regular, wrote an article
for The Hill, the publication read by every political junkie in Washington,
DC, in which he made a couple of brilliant points.

"Exit Polls are almost never wrong," Morris wrote. "They eliminate the two
major potential fallacies in survey research by correctly separating actual
voters from those who pretend they will cast ballots but never do and by
substituting actual observation for guesswork in judging the relative
turnout of different parts of the state."

He added: "So, according to ABC-TVs exit polls, for example, Kerry was
slated to carry Florida, Ohio, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and Iowa, all
of which Bush carried. The only swing state the network had going to Bush
was West Virginia, which the president won by 10 points."

Yet a few hours after the exit polls were showing a clear Kerry sweep, as
the computerized vote numbers began to come in from the various states the
election was called for Bush.

How could this happen?

On the CNBC TV show "Topic A With Tina Brown," several months ago, Howard
Dean had filled in for Tina Brown as guest host. His guest was Bev Harris,
the Seattle grandmother who started www.blackboxvoting.org from her living
room. Bev pointed out that regardless of how votes were tabulated (other
than hand counts, only done in odd places like small towns in Vermont), the
real "counting" is done by computers. Be they Diebold Opti-Scan machines,
which read paper ballots filled in by pencil or ink in the voter's hand, or
the scanners that read punch cards, or the machines that simply record a
touch of the screen, in all cases the final tally is sent to a "central
tabulator" machine.

That central tabulator computer is a Windows-based PC.

"In a voting system," Harris explained to Dean on national television, "you
have all the different voting machines at all the different polling places,
sometimes, as in a county like mine, there's a thousand polling places in a
single county. All those machines feed into the one machine so it can add up
all the votes. So, of course, if you were going to do something you
shouldn't to a voting machine, would it be more convenient to do it to each
of the 4000 machines, or just come in here and deal with all of them at
once?"

Dean nodded in rhetorical agreement, and Harris continued. "What surprises
people is that the central tabulator is just a PC, like what you and I use.
It's just a regular computer."

"So," Dean said, "anybody who can hack into a PC can hack into a central
tabulator?"

Harris nodded affirmation, and pointed out how Diebold uses a program called
GEMS, which fills the screen of the PC and effectively turns it into the
central tabulator system. "This is the official program that the County
Supervisor sees," she said, pointing to a PC that was sitting between them
loaded with Diebold's software.

Bev then had Dean open the GEMS program to see the results of a test
election. They went to the screen titled "Election Summary Report" and
waited a moment while the PC "adds up all the votes from all the various
precincts," and then saw that in this faux election Howard Dean had 1000
votes, Lex Luthor had 500, and Tiger Woods had none. Dean was winning.

"Of course, you can't tamper with this software," Harris noted. Diebold
wrote a pretty good program.

But, it's running on a Windows PC.

So Harris had Dean close the Diebold GEMS software, go back to the normal
Windows PC desktop, click on the "My Computer" icon, choose "Local Disk C:,"
open the folder titled GEMS, and open the sub-folder "LocalDB" which, Harris
noted, "stands for local database, that's where they keep the votes." Harris
then had Dean double-click on a file in that folder titled "Central
Tabulator Votes," which caused the PC to open the vote count in a database
program like Excel.

In the "Sum of the Candidates" row of numbers, she found that in one
precinct Dean had received 800 votes and Lex Luthor had gotten 400.

"Let's just flip those," Harris said, as Dean cut and pasted the numbers
from one cell into the other. "And," she added magnanimously, "let's give
100 votes to Tiger."

They closed the database, went back into the official GEMS software "the
legitimate way, you're the county supervisor and you're checking on the
progress of your election."

As the screen displayed the official voter tabulation, Harris said, "And you
can see now that Howard Dean has only 500 votes, Lex Luthor has 900, and
Tiger Woods has 100." Dean, the winner, was now the loser.

Harris sat up a bit straighter, smiled, and said, "We just edited an
election, and it took us 90 seconds."

On live national television. (You can see the clip on www.votergate.tv.) And
they had left no tracks whatsoever, Harris said, noting that it would be
nearly impossible for the election software - or a County election
official - to know that the vote database had been altered.

Which brings us back to Morris and those pesky exit polls that had Karen
Hughes telling George W. Bush that he'd lost the election in a landslide.

Morris's conspiracy theory is that the exit polls "were sabotage" to cause
people in the western states to not bother voting for Bush, since the
networks would call the election based on the exit polls for Kerry. But the
networks didn't do that, and had never intended to.

According to congressional candidate Fisher, it makes far more sense that
the exit polls were right - they weren't done on Diebold PCs - and that the
vote itself was hacked.

And not only for the presidential candidate - Jeff Fisher thinks this hit
him and pretty much every other Democratic candidate for national office in
the most-hacked swing states.

So far, the only national "mainstream" media to come close to this story was
Keith Olbermann on his show Friday night, November 5th, when he noted that
it was curious that all the voting machine irregularities so far uncovered
seem to favor Bush. In the meantime, the Washington Post and other media are
now going through single-bullet-theory-like contortions to explain how the
exit polls had failed.

But I agree with Fox's Dick Morris on this one, at least in large part.
Wrapping up his story for The Hill, Morris wrote in his final paragraph,
"This was no mere mistake. Exit polls cannot be as wrong across the board as
they were on election night. I suspect foul play."

Jas

THIS IS A NONPARTISAN STATEWIDE CALL TO ACTION. VOTERS AND POLL WORKERS FROM
AROUND THE STATE ARE INVITED TO TESTIFY.

Saturday November 13, 1-4 PM
New Faith Baptist Church
955 Oak Street
Columbus, Ohio 43205

Monday November 15, 6-9 PM,
Auditorium (Meeting Room A)
Courthouse, 373 S. High St.
Columbus, OH

We are calling for anyone who experienced or observed election
irregularities or voter suppression on Election Day to come forward and
give their testimony.

We are calling for any individuals or organizations that have information
about election irregularities or voter suppression that occured before,
during or after the elections to give their testimony.

We are calling for our public officials, community representatives and
the media to come and hear the testimony of the people.

We will document and/or videotape the testimonies for use in a report
and a formal complaint to the Franklin County Board of Elections.

This is a public space to respond to the systemic undermining of our
democratic process and assess how to respond to racial disenfranchisement
and suppression of democratic rights.

Citizens, voting experts, and investigative journalists will be invited
to present testimony for the public record documenting instances of voting
irregularities and systematic voter suppression. The coalition hopes to
expose the systemic undermining of our democratic process that occurred
leading up to and on Nov 2, and assess how to respond to racial
disenfranchisement and suppression of democratic rights.

ENDORSERS:

* Ohio Senator Teresa Fedor
* freelance journalist Lynn Landes
* Professor Robert Fitrakis (Free Press)
* Bill Moss
* Code Pink
* Global Exchange
* People for the American Way (www.pfaw.org)
* IPPN
* Election Protection Coalition
* This Time We're Watching (www.ttww.org)
* Driving Votes (www.drivingvotes.org)
* Truth Force Training Center
* International Labor Communications Association
* No Stolen Elections Coalition (www.nov3.us)
* Liberty Tree
* Black Voices for Peace

We are seeking support from US Congressional Representatives, Ohio State
Representatives, nonpartisan organizations, and community and national
leaders. Experts and investigative reporters are invited to present
testimony as well.

Here are a few articles on the types of voter suppression/disenfranchisement
that we are hoping to call attention to:

Kerry Won. Greg Palast, Tompaine.com
http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won_.php

Did Kerry Concede Too Soon? Bob Fitrakis, The Free Press
http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/3/2004/981

Was the Ohio Election Honest and Fair? Institute for Public Accuracy
http://www.accuracy.org/press_releases/PR110304.htm

Worse Than 2000: Tuesday's Electoral Disaster, William Rivers Pitt,
Truthout
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/110804A.shtml

None Dare Call it Voter Suppression and Fraud, Bob Fitrakis, Free Press
http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/3/2004/983

To get involved, sponsor this call, or testify, contact:

Amy Kaplan and Jonathan Meier
Columbus League of ****ed Off Voters

Naina Khanna/ National Field Director
(E-Mail Removed)

"Jas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmsl3q$cpr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

in
> the most-hacked swing states.
>
> So far, the only national "mainstream" media to come close to this story

was
> Keith Olbermann on his show Friday night, November 5th, when he noted that
> it was curious that all the voting machine irregularities so far uncovered
> seem to favor Bush. In the meantime, the Washington Post and other media

are
> now going through single-bullet-theory-like contortions to explain how the
> exit polls had failed.
>
> But I agree with Fox's Dick Morris on this one, at least in large part.
> Wrapping up his story for The Hill, Morris wrote in his final paragraph,
> "This was no mere mistake. Exit polls cannot be as wrong across the board

as
> they were on election night. I suspect foul play."

ofthedeep

Paranoid sore loser snivelling follows:

Jas wrote:
> [...]
||| And not only for the presidential candidate - Jeff Fisher thinks
||| this hit him and pretty much every other Democratic candidate for
||| national office in the most-hacked swing states.
||| So far, the only national "mainstream" media to come close to this
||| story was Keith Olbermann on his show Friday night, November 5th,
||| when he noted that it was curious that all the voting machine
||| irregularities so far uncovered seem to favor Bush. In the
||| meantime, the Washington Post and other media are now going through
||| single-bullet-theory-like contortions to explain how the exit polls
||| had failed.
||| But I agree with Fox's Dick Morris on this one, at least in large
||| part. Wrapping up his story for The Hill, Morris wrote in his final
||| paragraph, "This was no mere mistake. Exit polls cannot be as wrong
||| across the board as they were on election night. I suspect foul

Eric Dreher

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:13:43 GMT, "ofthedeep" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Paranoid sore loser snivelling follows:

He's a troll. Don't feed him, and he'll go away.

The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

joe~V~3838

well, I remember watching Lou Dobbs several months ago and he was
talking about the electrionic voting machines without papertrails.
He said that the guy behind all the machines (Diebold) stated pubicly
that he would do anything he can to get Bush re-elected. Lou Dobbs
couldn't believe the guy said it and a few days later Diebold came out
and said he was sorry and wasn't going to go pubic..
Talk about shady ... makes you wonder if all the electronic machines
were hacked into just enough to give bush the edge and victory......
And you know Lou Dobbs is a conservitive republician but a good honest
fair one...

> [...]
>
> And not only for the presidential candidate - Jeff Fisher thinks this hit
> him and pretty much every other Democratic candidate for national office in
> the most-hacked swing states.
>
> So far, the only national "mainstream" media to come close to this story was
> Keith Olbermann on his show Friday night, November 5th, when he noted that
> it was curious that all the voting machine irregularities so far uncovered
> seem to favor Bush. In the meantime, the Washington Post and other media are
> now going through single-bullet-theory-like contortions to explain how the
> exit polls had failed.
>
> But I agree with Fox's Dick Morris on this one, at least in large part.
> Wrapping up his story for The Hill, Morris wrote in his final paragraph,
> "This was no mere mistake. Exit polls cannot be as wrong across the board as
> they were on election night. I suspect foul play."

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Eric Dreher <(E-Mail Removed)?t> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:13:43 GMT, "ofthedeep" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Paranoid sore loser snivelling follows:

> He's a troll. Don't feed him, and he'll go away.

> The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

It's the invasion of the ballot snatchers!!

rocky

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Eric Dreher <(E-Mail Removed)?t> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:13:43 GMT, "ofthedeep" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Paranoid sore loser snivelling follows:

> > He's a troll. Don't feed him, and he'll go away.

> > The DNC - Building a bridge to the 20th Century.

> It's the invasion of the ballot snatchers!!

"There was no overwhelming reason to cast doubt on the outcome of this
election," seconded Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, the campaign
manager for Al Gore's 2000 campaign. "George Bush got more votes this
time."

MajorDomo@mailcity.com

Get real. I there was even the remotest evidence that scanned
ballots were fudged, the DNC would have been all over this and
have asked for a state wide recount available under Florida
election law. Bus won in Florida for one reason, a large number
of black and Jewish voters that normally vote democrat voted for
the President, period

mike hunt

Jas wrote:

> Evidence Mounts That The Vote Was Hacked

<snip>

Thursdaynighters

Hey I have an idea. Find a candidate who can win the majority of voters in
enough electoral states to win. It's a crazy concept, but it does work. Now,
while you wait in a pool of unglorified tears for four years, grab yourself a
dvd that puts a smile on your face and waste away the next 1400 plus days in
front of the tv.

Jas

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Get real. I there was even the remotest evidence that scanned
> ballots were fudged, the DNC would have been all over this and
> have asked for a state wide recount available under Florida
> election law. Bus won in Florida for one reason, a large number
> of black and Jewish voters that normally vote democrat voted for
> the President, period

Reposted from "rocky" well, I remember watching Lou Dobbs several months ago