Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Any chance the audio for Star Wars DVD will be fixed?

Any chance the audio for Star Wars DVD will be fixed?

Opticreep

What are the chances that Lucasfilm will fix the audio in the DVD for
"Star Wars: A New Hope"?

I've been waiting over half a decade for the DVD version of this
trilogy. Now that it's available, I find myself holding off from
buying it... in the hopes (or fear?) that Lucasfilm will quietly
release a "fixed" version in the next pressing of these DVDs. Not
that the minor errors bother me all that much, but I *would* hate to
buy one of these things today and find out that a "Star Wars Trilogy
v1.01" starts showing up in stores next month.

Mike Kohary

Opticreep wrote:
> What are the chances that Lucasfilm will fix the audio in the DVD for
> "Star Wars: A New Hope"?

Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with it?

Richmond

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmp2io$g80$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Opticreep wrote:
>> What are the chances that Lucasfilm will fix the audio in the DVD for
>> "Star Wars: A New Hope"?

> Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with it?

From what I hear, the left and right audio channels are flipped.

Between that, the changes to the movies, and the dismal lack of extras
(compared to Eps 1 and 2), I'm just not buying it. There's no way this will
be the ONLY DVD release of the movies; someday there'll be a better DVD
release, or at least a different one, and maybe I'll get it then.

B.

Bill

> Between that, the changes to the movies, and the dismal lack of extras
> (compared to Eps 1 and 2), I'm just not buying it. There's no way this
> will be the ONLY DVD release of the movies; someday there'll be a better
> DVD release, or at least a different one, and maybe I'll get it then.
>
> B.

The two and a half hour "Empire of Dreams" documentary is almost worth the
purchase price of the set--even though a truncated version aired on the A &
E channel only days before the release of the trilogy.

Stan Jensen

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:22:35 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Opticreep wrote:
>> What are the chances that Lucasfilm will fix the audio in the DVD for
>> "Star Wars: A New Hope"?

>Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with it?

The channels are swapped, and the music score is nearly ruined in several
places. Also, there are really bad dialog scenes that sound lilke they
never touched them.

HOWEVER.... Lucas has said that there's nothing wrong with the disc. So if
he says so, it must be, right? Those that have high-end theaters and are
DVD afficianadoes don't know a thing.

Anybody

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stan Jensen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> HOWEVER.... Lucas has said that there's nothing wrong with the disc. So if
> he says so, it must be, right? Those that have high-end theaters and are
> DVD afficianadoes don't know a thing.

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't - "experts" rarely actually know
anything.

Richmond

news:USVjd.9565$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

>> Between that, the changes to the movies, and the dismal lack of extras
>> (compared to Eps 1 and 2), I'm just not buying it. There's no way this
>> will be the ONLY DVD release of the movies; someday there'll be a better
>> DVD release, or at least a different one, and maybe I'll get it then.
>>
>> B.

> The two and a half hour "Empire of Dreams" documentary is almost worth the
> purchase price of the set--even though a truncated version aired on the A
> & E channel only days before the release of the trilogy.

Yeah, I may pick up a used copy down the line, but there's just not enough
stuff there to justify it this time, especially knowing how George loves to
tweak and rerelease. There will be more DVD releases, and they may even be
better. If they're not, they'll at least drive down the price for used
copies of this set, and I can pick it up then.

B.

Biz

"Stan Jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:22:35 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Opticreep wrote:
> >> What are the chances that Lucasfilm will fix the audio in the DVD for
> >> "Star Wars: A New Hope"?

> >Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with it?

> The channels are swapped, and the music score is nearly ruined in several
> places. Also, there are really bad dialog scenes that sound lilke they
> never touched them.
>
> HOWEVER.... Lucas has said that there's nothing wrong with the disc. So if
> he says so, it must be, right? Those that have high-end theaters and are
> DVD afficianadoes don't know a thing.

R and L channels swapped would be so obvious to anyone with even a stereo
setup as R to L pans would actually be heard as L to R. Is that is what is
happening, cos this would be the first I have heard of it posted in here?

Joshua Zyber

"Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nRXjd.80491$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R and L channels swapped would be so obvious to anyone with even a
> stereo
> setup as R to L pans would actually be heard as L to R. Is that is
> what is
> happening, cos this would be the first I have heard of it posted in
> here?

It's a bit more subtle than that. What's actually happened is that the
left and right surround channels have been swapped for the musical
score. The front soundstage is perfectly fine, and directional sound
effects all come from the correct speakers. It's just that when the
score wells up, elements of music that should be biased toward the right
of the room will come from the right front speaker and left rear speaker
simultaneously, and elements that should be biased toward the left of
the room will come from the left front speaker and right rear speaker,
creating a slightly disorienting crossways soundfield.

C The Shocker

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XdYjd.5504$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:nRXjd.80491$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> R and L channels swapped would be so obvious to anyone with even a stereo
>> setup as R to L pans would actually be heard as L to R. Is that is what
>> is
>> happening, cos this would be the first I have heard of it posted in here?

> It's a bit more subtle than that. What's actually happened is that the
> left and right surround channels have been swapped for the musical score.
> The front soundstage is perfectly fine, and directional sound effects all
> come from the correct speakers. It's just that when the score wells up,
> elements of music that should be biased toward the right of the room will
> come from the right front speaker and left rear speaker simultaneously,
> and elements that should be biased toward the left of the room will come
> from the left front speaker and right rear speaker, creating a slightly
> disorienting crossways soundfield.

So for the 95% of us that have no home theater unit and just listen to the
movies through the TV speakers = JUST FINE.

--
C The Shocker
Hit Pay Dirt with K-Dirt!