Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars Prequels DVDs

Reply
Thread Tools

Star Wars Prequels DVDs

 
 
C'Pi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
Invid Fan, you magnificent bastard. I read your post:
> In article <031120041730129819%(E-Mail Removed)>, Anybody
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
>>> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
>>> Although, he denies that now.

>>
>> The reason is that original vague storyline was thought to cover
>> three (or four) trilogies, but during the writing of ESB and
>> especially RotJ the storyline changed and there no longer is a third
>> trilogy to George Lucas' "Star Wars" saga (the third trilogy was
>> going to be finding Luke's sister, etc., who was changed to be Leia).
>>

> There's a quote from him, after RotJ, regarding why Luke didn't end up
> with a girlfriend: "You haven't seen the last three movies". Or
> something to that effect, as I read it years ago in Starlog's Star
> Wars 10th Anivercery issue


Off hand comments to fanboys does not a trilogy make.
--
C'Pi
"It's because of men like you that all must be destroyed."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sue
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
>>> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
>>> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
>>> versions).


A fact for which every SW DVD bootlegger/pirate in the world is
extremely grateful!

For a guy who claims to be trying to thwart the pirates who are making
money off of his work, this is the best possible decision Lucas could
have made on their behalf. They'll be making money off the OOT DVDs hand
over fist, especially as the laserdiscs and VHS tapes wear out.

I'm very surprised Lucas never thought of this.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:07:56 GMT, Sue wrote:

> Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
> >>> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
> >>> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
> >>> versions).

>
> A fact for which every SW DVD bootlegger/pirate in the world is
> extremely grateful!
>
> For a guy who claims to be trying to thwart the pirates who are making
> money off of his work, this is the best possible decision Lucas could
> have made on their behalf. They'll be making money off the OOT DVDs hand
> over fist, especially as the laserdiscs and VHS tapes wear out.
>
> I'm very surprised Lucas never thought of this.


He did:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Q: Why did you change your mind and decide to put the
original three movies out on DVD now?

GEORGE LUCAS: Just because the market has shifted so
dramatically. A lot of people are getting very
worried about piracy. That has really eaten
dramatically into the sales. It really just came
down to, there may not be a market when I wanted
to bring it out, which was like, three years from
now. So rather than just sit by and watch the
whole thing fall apart, better to bring it out
early and get it over with.

It seems that he feels that the original trilogy isn't a viable product.
Besides, most of the people buying the OT boots would still purchase an
official, high-quality DVD from Lucas in a heartbeat.

-Jay
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:25:31 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jay G."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Well, at the least George Lucas doesn't own the original Star Wars, Fox
>> does. So that film could feasibly be released in its original version no
>> matter what Lucas's will says.

>
> 20th Century Fox doesn't own any Star Wars movies, they're only the
> distributors. George Lucas owns the whole Star Wars franchise himself
> and what he has the final say on whatever happens to it.


You're wrong. Lucas owns the sequel/prequel rights, merchandising rights,
licensing rights, etc., but he doesn't own the rights to the original film.
Fox paid for it, they own it, and they haven't ever given the rights up.
Fox just goes along with whatever Lucas wants in regards to that film
because they know what side their bread is buttered on.

-Jay
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anybody
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2004
In article <vclzm2jxtxm.108ebtgq18204$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jay G."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:25:31 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jay G."
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Well, at the least George Lucas doesn't own the original Star Wars, Fox
> >> does. So that film could feasibly be released in its original version no
> >> matter what Lucas's will says.

> >
> > 20th Century Fox doesn't own any Star Wars movies, they're only the
> > distributors. George Lucas owns the whole Star Wars franchise himself
> > and what he has the final say on whatever happens to it.

>
> You're wrong. Lucas owns the sequel/prequel rights, merchandising rights,
> licensing rights, etc., but he doesn't own the rights to the original film.
> Fox paid for it, they own it, and they haven't ever given the rights up.
> Fox just goes along with whatever Lucas wants in regards to that film
> because they know what side their bread is buttered on.


I don't know if it was the original deal or if George Lucas later
bought back the rights, but George Lucas is (now) the only owner of
everything "Star Wars" - what he says goes.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 08:55:11 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> In article <vclzm2jxtxm.108ebtgq18204$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jay G."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You're wrong. Lucas owns the sequel/prequel rights, merchandising rights,
>> licensing rights, etc., but he doesn't own the rights to the original film.
>> Fox paid for it, they own it, and they haven't ever given the rights up.
>> Fox just goes along with whatever Lucas wants in regards to that film
>> because they know what side their bread is buttered on.

>
> I don't know if it was the original deal or if George Lucas later
> bought back the rights, but George Lucas is (now) the only owner of
> everything "Star Wars" - what he says goes.


You have no idea what you're talking about. Go look at the copyright
notice at the end of the credits for Ep4 on the new DVD set.

-Jay
 
Reply With Quote
 
snotrag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2004
And Saint Anybody <(E-Mail Removed)> raised the holy hand grenade of
Antioch up on high, saying,

>> >Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
>> >forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
>> >released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

>>
>> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
>> You gonna wait that long?

>
>Besides which, George Lucas has already said that he's tied up the Star
>Wars franchise so nobody can do more movies, even after he's died (at
>least not without lots of expensive legal invertention), so it's likely
>to be the same for releasing future versions of the saga he made too.



Actually, this is kind of what I've always believed.

Some day when Lucas is long gone, one of his kids (probably Tyger - psychologically
messed up from a spoiled childhood with GL as the father -and from years of teasing
of the self-imposed moniker) is going to blow the Lucas fortune in Vegas at some
craps table and the Lucas brats will be forced to make episodes 7, 8, 9, and they'll
think that'd be the perfect time for them to re-re-re-re-release the original
trilogy, ya know, as a nostalgic lead-in to the final chapters in the Star Wars saga.

I can see the tv spots now...
--
snotrag

"...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star Wars DVD set? TNEXTWAVE DVD Video 22 10-01-2004 10:44 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY, STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, SEASON ONE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 09-27-2004 09:08 AM
Re: Star Wars: Clone Wars on dvd? Machina3317 DVD Video 2 04-14-2004 01:11 PM
Re: Sound problems on DVDs (was Re: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) (was: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) Terry Austin DVD Video 0 12-02-2003 03:21 AM



Advertisments