Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars Prequels DVDs

Star Wars Prequels DVDs

Rutgar

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:00:03 -0600, "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody wrote:
>> In article <cm8stb$qnb$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> I don't know if that's necessarily the case...think of the PR aspect.
>>> "Finally, the original 1977 Star Wars available on H-DVD, first time in
>>> hi-def, blah blah blah."

>> Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
>> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
>> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
>> versions).

>Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
>forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
>released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.
>
>-Jay

He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
You gonna wait that long? Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
Although, he denies that now.

- Rutgar

Doonie

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 02:21:47 GMT, Karyudo wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody wrote:
>
>>The tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen,
>>so the old ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with
>>the VHS versions).

>Or those of us with laserdiscs, or those of us with excellent
>LD-to-DVD archival transfers. There are some very, *very* good
>original OT DVDs available. Not official, but who cares?

I'd love to buy a set of DVDs nicely transferred from the LDs, but
there are so many sets out there (just look on eBay), I don't know
which one is the best.

Jay G.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:31:38 GMT, Rutgar wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:00:03 -0600, "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody wrote:
>>> Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
>>> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
>>> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
>>> versions).

>>Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
>>forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
>>released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
> You gonna wait that long?

I can if I have to. I was just pointing out that saying that the original
versions will never be released again is a bit strong. I personally think
Lucas will eventually capitulate and release the original versions in some
form.

> Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
> Although, he denies that now.

I don't think he's denied that he ever had plans for a sequel trilogy. I
think his stance now is just that he's not going to do it. Of course, he
said he wasn't going to do the prequels either.

-Jay

Anybody

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:00:03 -0600, "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:37:56 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> >> In article <cm8stb$qnb$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >>
> >> Except that George Lucas doesn't like those original versions. The
> >> tweaked SE versions are how he wants his product to be seen, so the old
> >> ones won't see daylight again (outside those of us with the VHS
> >> versions).

> >Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
> >forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
> >released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
> You gonna wait that long?

Besides which, George Lucas has already said that he's tied up the Star
Wars franchise so nobody can do more movies, even after he's died (at
least not without lots of expensive legal invertention), so it's likely
to be the same for releasing future versions of the saga he made too.

> Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
> Although, he denies that now.

The reason is that original vague storyline was thought to cover three
(or four) trilogies, but during the writing of ESB and especially RotJ
the storyline changed and there no longer is a third trilogy to George
Lucas' "Star Wars" saga (the third trilogy was going to be finding
Luke's sister, etc., who was changed to be Leia).

We are getting a TV series (we'll have to wait and see if that's good
news or not), but there's no word yet on when in the timeline it will
be set and it won't be based around the SkyWalker clan.

Jay G.

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:30:12 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:00:03 -0600, "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
>>>forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
>>>released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

>> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
>> You gonna wait that long?

> Besides which, George Lucas has already said that he's tied up the Star
> Wars franchise so nobody can do more movies, even after he's died (at
> least not without lots of expensive legal invertention), so it's likely
> to be the same for releasing future versions of the saga he made too.

Well, at the least George Lucas doesn't own the original Star Wars, Fox
does. So that film could feasibly be released in its original version no
matter what Lucas's will says.

-Jay

Aaron J. Bossig

"Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wedzhehhny28.97tvfgco01x1$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
>> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
>> Although, he denies that now.

> I don't think he's denied that he ever had plans for a sequel trilogy.
> I think his stance now is just that he's not going to do it. Of
> course, he said he wasn't going to do the prequels either.

I recently heard that he was once again considering the idea. Not
that a rumor from Lucasfilm is anything to be excited over anymore...

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

Anybody

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jay G."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:30:12 +1300, Anybody wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
> >> You gonna wait that long?

> > Besides which, George Lucas has already said that he's tied up the Star
> > Wars franchise so nobody can do more movies, even after he's died (at
> > least not without lots of expensive legal invertention), so it's likely
> > to be the same for releasing future versions of the saga he made too.

> Well, at the least George Lucas doesn't own the original Star Wars, Fox
> does. So that film could feasibly be released in its original version no
> matter what Lucas's will says.

20th Century Fox doesn't own any Star Wars movies, they're only the
distributors. George Lucas owns the whole Star Wars franchise himself
and what he has the final say on whatever happens to it.

Hopefully he has WAY more intelligence than the Star Trek twits when
choosing his successor. That's all we need, a pair of money-grubbing
morons like B&B stuffing up Star Wars.

Anybody

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Aaron J. Bossig"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:wedzhehhny28.97tvfgco01x1$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> >> Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
> >> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
> >> Although, he denies that now.

> > I don't think he's denied that he ever had plans for a sequel trilogy.
> > I think his stance now is just that he's not going to do it. Of
> > course, he said he wasn't going to do the prequels either.

I don't think George Lucas ever said he "wasn't" going to make the
prequels. He just wasn't ready back in the 1980s to keep making Star
Wars ... and with all the idiots whining about the Prequel Trilogy I
bet he wishes he hadn't bothered now either.

> I recently heard that he was once again considering the idea. Not
> that a rumor from Lucasfilm is anything to be excited over anymore...

You could mean the silly Non-disclosure Agreement rumour that some fool
spread not long ago. That's already been stated by LucasFilm to be
rubbish.

Solon

_Rutgar_ spoke thusly:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:00:03 -0600, "Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Well, ignoring the possibility of Lucas changing his mind, he can't live
>>forever. Once he's passed on the original versions would most likely be
>>released in some form, if his resolve is even that strong.

> He's only 60 years old. He could easily live another thirty years.
> You gonna wait that long? Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
> Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
> Although, he denies that now.

Sometimes people run over by cars. I'm just saying...

Invid Fan

In article <031120041730129819%(E-Mail Removed)>, Anybody
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rutgar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Frankly, I'd rather see him do a "Sequel
> > Trilogy" (Episodes VII - IX). He mentioned doing it years ago.
> > Although, he denies that now.

> The reason is that original vague storyline was thought to cover three
> (or four) trilogies, but during the writing of ESB and especially RotJ
> the storyline changed and there no longer is a third trilogy to George
> Lucas' "Star Wars" saga (the third trilogy was going to be finding
> Luke's sister, etc., who was changed to be Leia).

There's a quote from him, after RotJ, regarding why Luke didn't end up
with a girlfriend: "You haven't seen the last three movies". Or
something to that effect, as I read it years ago in Starlog's Star Wars
10th Anivercery issue

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS