Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Any DVDs That Illustrate Film/Image Restoration??

Any DVDs That Illustrate Film/Image Restoration??

Jonathan Stryker

I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate
how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
restored by computer. John D. Lowry of Lowry Digital Images has
restored over 100 movies, but I have yet to read of a special edition
DVD that actually takes us through the process of doing this. Robert
A. Harris has done some excellent film resorations, but have any of
the titles he has restored feature in-depth accounts of how he
actually does this? Aside from the special edition of SE7EN which has
a terrific demonstration of telecine colorizing, can anyone please
recommend some titles that have some in-depth documentaries about
restoration?

Thanks,
JS

Gary A. Edelstein

On 2 Nov 2004 05:25:55 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jonathan Stryker)
wrote:

>I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate
>how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
>restored by computer. John D. Lowry of Lowry Digital Images has
>restored over 100 movies, but I have yet to read of a special edition
>DVD that actually takes us through the process of doing this. Robert
>A. Harris has done some excellent film resorations, but have any of
>the titles he has restored feature in-depth accounts of how he
>actually does this? Aside from the special edition of SE7EN which has
>a terrific demonstration of telecine colorizing, can anyone please
>recommend some titles that have some in-depth documentaries about
>restoration?

I saw an extra feature on the restoration of the movie "The Kids are
Alright" (The Who) on the special edition DVD release. It was
somewhat detailed. I seem to recall the feature said they were
working with an interpositive that wasn't faded but needed cleaning
up. But an interview I found on the web said the negative turned up
and they worked with that.

DVD info:

http://classicrock.about.com/library.../blwho_dvd.htm

John Albarian interview on the restoration:

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...iew.php3?ID=53

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|(E-Mail Removed) (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

DavesVideo

STRYKER48 said:

>>I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate

how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
restored by computer.>>

I have seen a bit of that on a couple movies. But, they so not go into details
of the algorithms, meerly show a faded scene then the restored, show a
scratched scene followed by the restored etc. Saw this both on a "Casablanca"
and "The Third Man" DVDs.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Derek Janssen

Jonathan Stryker wrote:

> I am looking for some special edition DVDs of movies that illustrate
> how a company takes a film that has faded and is then digitally
> restored by computer.

....Oh, you mean like Criterion always does?

Derek Janssen (start with "The Third Man" and "Beauty and the Beast",
haven't seen many of the others)
(E-Mail Removed)

Matt Fuerst

It's very brief and not really in depth but I know when you put the
Millenium (I think it's the Millenium) Edition of Night of the Living Dead
it starts playing the version we are all used to seeing. Scratched, flecked
to death and muted. The first 30 or 60 seconds play and then the image
shatters and shows you the restored, awesome image (it is really striking).
Pretty neat.

Matt
www.jackasscritics.com

Stephen Cooke

The new four-disc set of Gone With the Wind is supposed to have a
supplement about that war horse's most recent restoration/transfer.

swac

Michael Rogers

Disney's Pollyanna has a featurette about it's restoration. It's pretty
interesting especially about how they had to go to the black and white
seperation masters for the nrestoration and one of the masters has an
incorrect color seperation.

Mike