Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Netflix slower since price decrease?

Netflix slower since price decrease?

Lulu

Before Netflix's recent price decrease (from $21.99/mo to $17.99/mo),
our DVD turnaround time was 2-3 days. If I put a disc in the mailbox
Monday, the distribution center (20 miles away) received it Tuesday,
checked it in and sent the next disc that same day; I would receive the
next disc by Thursday - sometimes even Wednesday.

This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price
decrease. I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check
it in until Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until
Thursday, and according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday!
The same deal happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc
in my queue still has yet to be sent today (Friday).

Is anybody else experiencing this? Has Netflix decided to dramatically
slow down turnaround time in order to help absorb the cost (to them) of
the price decrease? Or is this just a coincidence? I find it strange
that after several months of a 2-3 day turnaround time, that time
SUDDENLY stretches out to a full week between dropping a disc in the
mail and receiving a new one.

I would MUCH rather pay a dollar more a week for the previous
(excellent) service. Up until now, I averaged 11-12 DVD's per month -
well worth $22/mo. ($1.80 - $2 per disc). A weeklong turnaround time on
the discs means I'll be lucky to get 5 -6 discs a month ($3 - $3.60 per
disc), making the service MUCH less valuable to me. We might even
(regretfully) cancel our membership if the slow turnaround time turns
out to be a new company policy.

So what's up? IS anybody else experiencing much slower turnaround from
Netflix? Or is it just me?

-Lulu

SoHillsGuy

<< So what's up? IS anybody else experiencing much slower turnaround from
Netflix? Or is it just me? >><BR><BR>

I know! I haven't gotten a new disc in more than a week and a half.

Oh wait....I still have all three in hand.

Zimmy

I;m experiencing the same thing.
I had a great system.
Return the movie on Friday/Saturday and always get new releases on Tuesday.
This hasn't worked the last 3 weeks. I still haven't got Van Helsing.
Now, I normally wouldn't mind the slowdown since I try to only have 3 out a
week but if you want new releases and you miss the Tuesday window, you are
out of luck.
Now, I'm going to return most everything I get the next day and see how fast
they react.

"Lulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Before Netflix's recent price decrease (from $21.99/mo to $17.99/mo), our
> DVD turnaround time was 2-3 days. If I put a disc in the mailbox Monday,
> the distribution center (20 miles away) received it Tuesday, checked it in
> and sent the next disc that same day; I would receive the next disc by
> Thursday - sometimes even Wednesday.
>
> This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price decrease.
> I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it in until
> Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday, and
> according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same deal
> happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue still
> has yet to be sent today (Friday).
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this? Has Netflix decided to dramatically
> slow down turnaround time in order to help absorb the cost (to them) of
> the price decrease? Or is this just a coincidence? I find it strange
> that after several months of a 2-3 day turnaround time, that time SUDDENLY
> stretches out to a full week between dropping a disc in the mail and
> receiving a new one.
>
> I would MUCH rather pay a dollar more a week for the previous (excellent)
> service. Up until now, I averaged 11-12 DVD's per month - well worth
> $22/mo. ($1.80 - $2 per disc). A weeklong turnaround time on the discs
> means I'll be lucky to get 5 -6 discs a month ($3 - $3.60 per disc),
> making the service MUCH less valuable to me. We might even (regretfully)
> cancel our membership if the slow turnaround time turns out to be a new
> company policy.
>
> So what's up? IS anybody else experiencing much slower turnaround from
> Netflix? Or is it just me?
>

> -Lulu

Nonymous

"Lulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price decrease.
> I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it in until
> Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday, and
> according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same deal
> happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue still
> has yet to be sent today (Friday).
>
> Is anybody else experiencing this?

It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about waiting
for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped three disks in
the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home from work on
Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until Friday.

Tarkus

On 10/29/2004 8:18:35 AM, Lulu wrote:

> Before Netflix's recent price decrease (from $21.99/mo to $17.99/mo),
> our DVD turnaround time was 2-3 days.

Doesn't the price decrease not go into effect until November 1?

Turnaround time here is still two-three days.
--
"Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
exploited!"

Edward Reid

You know, when I first read this newsgroup three years ago, I read the
EXACT same discussion over and over ...

Edward

Lulu

Nonymous wrote:
> "Lulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price decrease.
>>I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it in until
>>Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday, and
>>according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same deal
>>happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue still
>>has yet to be sent today (Friday).
>>
>>Is anybody else experiencing this?

> It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about waiting
> for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped three disks in
> the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home from work on
> Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until Friday.

Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies
I sent back last week. Turnaround time had been 2-3 days. With those
two movies, the turnaround time will be 1 week for the first movie, 8
days for the second (according to Netflix itself).

It seemed strange to me that my turnaround time more than doubled the
day after the announcement about a price decrease. The reason I asked
if anybody else was experiencing this was in order to see if it was just
a fluke or possibly a new company policy. The response my post received
indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
same level of service from Netflix.

-Lulu

Reginald Dwight

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lulu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies
> I sent back last week.

What were the movies? It can make a big difference.

> The response my post received
> indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
> same level of service from Netflix.

Same 3 day turnaround here - mail out disc on a Monday, receive new disc
on Wednesday.

Nonymous

"Lulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nonymous wrote:
>> "Lulu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>This past Sunday, I received an e-mail informing me of the price
>>>decrease. I put a disc in the mail to them Monday. They didn't check it
>>>in until Wednesday. Then they didn't send the next disc until Thursday,
>>>and according to the site, it won't arrive here until Monday! The same
>>>deal happened with a disc I returned Tuesday - the next disc in my queue
>>>still has yet to be sent today (Friday).
>>>
>>>Is anybody else experiencing this?

>> It happened one time and you complain right off the bat? How about
>> waiting for one or two more instances before complaining. I dropped
>> three disks in the mail on Monday. I had replacements when I got home
>> from work on Thursday. Usually, I don't get the replacements until
>> Friday.

> Did you actually read my post? It has happened twice...with both movies I
> sent back last week. Turnaround time had been 2-3 days. With those two
> movies, the turnaround time will be 1 week for the first movie, 8 days for
> the second (according to Netflix itself).
>
> It seemed strange to me that my turnaround time more than doubled the day
> after the announcement about a price decrease. The reason I asked if
> anybody else was experiencing this was in order to see if it was just a
> fluke or possibly a new company policy. The response my post received
> indicates it may be a fluke, since many others seem to be receiving the
> same level of service from Netflix.

Actually, I'd consider an 'instance' to be anything that happens within a
single week. To me, dropping a disk in the mail on Monday, followed by
another on Tuesday is pretty much one drop - they were sent off to Netflix
within hours of each other.

That said, it does remain to be seen if Netflix will keep up the service
levels. If the lower price cuts into the profit margins who knows what
could happen... longer turn around times to save on postage, or longer turn
around times due to staff cutbacks. Hmm.

Del March

What I don't get is when they acknoledge in the morning that they've received a
return disk, but indicate that the next disk won't be shipped until tomorrow.
What's up with that?