Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > It finally happened to me (effed up and got fullscreen)

It finally happened to me (effed up and got fullscreen)

Michael Rogers

I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.

Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.

So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
manager opened it up with me and it was there.

Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....

It was a fullscreen version.

Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.

It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
artwork.

Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
especially the unrated version).

kaydigi

"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
> Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
>
> Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
> opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
> that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
> 2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.
>
> So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
> manager opened it up with me and it was there.
>
> Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
>
> It was a fullscreen version.
>
> Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
> the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
> making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.
>
> It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
> in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
> artwork.
>
> Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
> I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
> without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
> seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
> especially the unrated version)

I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

Richard C.

"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It was a fullscreen version.
>

> Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
> I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
> without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
> seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
> especially the unrated version).

=============================
Any alteration in aspect ratio is EVIL!

M.B.

Michael Rogers wrote:
> It was a fullscreen version.

If it's any consolation it happened to me once with the Scarface release
last year. It was one of those that it didn't even cross my mind that
they would release it in separate versions. Go figure!

Michael Walker

> I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
> fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

Me neither...unless fullscreen is the OAR.

Aaron J. Bossig

Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
>
> It was a fullscreen version.

My condolences.

I've spent so much time suffering through buying fullscreen VHS, that
I just can't leave the store without seeing "Widescreen Edition" with
my own eyes, even for movies that never got a FS DVD release. Paranoia?
Personal pride? Heh, I like to think it's just satisfaction at DVD, a
very good product.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

3W

"Michael Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5mxgd.1688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I made sure I picked up widescreen version, I can never come home with a
> > fullscreen DVD amd look my DVD player in the eye.

> Me neither...unless fullscreen is the OAR.

HA! You infidel!

JCurwen

The same thing happened to me. I am usually careful about picking up the
right version, but I didn't notice the words "Full Screen" at the bottom of
the package due to the black lettering. I also didn't think that two
versions had been released (I should know better by now). I got it home and
was ready to watch it that night when I realized my mistake. Luckily, I
hadn't opened it yet, and was able to exchange it the next day for the
widescreen release (minus the bonus disc, unfortunately, as they didn't have
any left with the widescreen version) without any problems.

Shawn

"Michael Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
> Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
>
> Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
> opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
> that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
> 2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.
>
> So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
> manager opened it up with me and it was there.
>
> Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
>
> It was a fullscreen version.
>
> Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
> the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
> making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.
>
> It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
> in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
> artwork.
>
> Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
> I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
> without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
> seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
> especially the unrated version).

Joseph S. Powell, III

"M.B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RYwgd.17811$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Michael Rogers wrote:
> > It was a fullscreen version.

> If it's any consolation it happened to me once with the Scarface release
> last year. It was one of those that it didn't even cross my mind that
> they would release it in separate versions. Go figure!

Same thing happened to me a couple of years back with AOTC - I was ****ed
off, posted that the packaging should be a bit clearer (not to mention, like
you, it had never occurred to me that it would have seperate versions
released!), and was called a dumb-ass all up & down the Newsgroup.

nomis

On 2004-10-29 02:06:40 -0400, Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I go to Best Buy, intent on getting the new unrated Dawn Of The Dead.
> Best Buy had a extra exclusive disc on it, like they do sometimes.
> Last week Van Helsing also had an extra disc but was missing when I
> opened it. The manager (who I've sort of made friends with by now) said
> that a lot of marked packages were missing extra discs. They had to open
> 2 marked packages to find the one extra disc.
>
> So, the thing on my mind was making sure the disc was in there. The
> manager opened it up with me and it was there.
> Bought it, took it home and popped it in to take a look and.....
>
> It was a fullscreen version.
>
> Usually, one of the first things I do is check specs to make sure I have
> the widescreen version. But this time I was so tunnelvisioned with
> making sure I got the extra disc that I forgot to check.
>
> It also doesn't help that they decided to put "fullscreen" on the bottom
> in black lettering sort of matching with the darker areas of the
> artwork.
>
> Oh well, was able to get it exchanged and all is well. But up until now,
> I've navigated the widescreen/fullscreen seperate release universe
> without a hitch. But I also hadn't realized that the new Dawn even had
> seperate 4:3 and widescreen releases (thought it was only widescreen,
> especially the unrated version).

It happened to me with BABE. It happens to us all, eventually.
--
nomis

http://www.oozingbrain.com