Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question about self-destructing DVDs

Question about self-destructing DVDs

Del March

The pizza places here were having specials where you got a free DVD with a
purchase, but the freebie was a stripped down disk with no extras, a fullscreen
transfer, no sensible chapter stops, and the ever-wonderful trailers at the
beginning which could not be skipped through.

When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
fullblown, full-featured DVD?

LASERandDVDfan

>The pizza places here were having specials where you got a free DVD with a
>purchase, but the freebie was a stripped down disk with no extras, a
>fullscreen
>transfer, no sensible chapter stops, and the ever-wonderful trailers at the
>beginning which could not be skipped through.

I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
afford something decent for DVD?

Although, I'm glad that I got both "Weekend at Bernie's" DVDs when they had
them.

>When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
>content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
>fullblown, full-featured DVD?

Don't know as I never wasted my time with those things. But, I'll bet that
they do have some special features that will end up being unplayable after the
viewing period expires chemically. But, I wouldn't put it past Buena Vista to
put all sorts of previews and other unwatchables that you can't skip so easily
on EZ-D titles. - Reinhart

Del March

<< I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
afford something decent for DVD? >><BR><BR>
Actually, more than one pizza chain was offering them here, at different times.
Clearly it was a promotion funded by the studio, not by the pizza store. The
disk was obviously a vehicle for trailers of current and upcoming releases,
with a throwaway non-profitable movie tossed in as a bonus.

LASERandDVDfan

>Actually, more than one pizza chain was offering them here, at different
>times. Clearly it was a promotion funded by the studio, not by the pizza
>store. Thedisk was obviously a vehicle for trailers of current and upcoming
>releases,with a throwaway non-profitable movie tossed in as a bonus.

Tell me about it.

The only films I wanted were the "Weekend at Bernie's" series, as I remember
them when I was young. A little nostalgia.

Everything else I would use as coasters or test discs. - Reinhart

Cory Seedan

On 27 Oct 2004 17:39:45 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan)
wrote:

>>The pizza places here were having specials where you got a free DVD with a
>>purchase, but the freebie was a stripped down disk with no extras, a
>>fullscreen
>>transfer, no sensible chapter stops, and the ever-wonderful trailers at the
>>beginning which could not be skipped through.

>I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
>afford something decent for DVD?
>
>Although, I'm glad that I got both "Weekend at Bernie's" DVDs when they had
>them.
>
>>When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
>>content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
>>fullblown, full-featured DVD?

>Don't know as I never wasted my time with those things. But, I'll bet that
>they do have some special features that will end up being unplayable after the
>viewing period expires chemically. But, I wouldn't put it past Buena Vista to
>put all sorts of previews and other unwatchables that you can't skip so easily
>on EZ-D titles. - Reinhart

I see another marketing angle that might be tried.

The "Partial Self-Destruct" DVD.

These would be DVD's where only the "main" feature is physically
placed inside a zone that chemically self-destructs. The rest of the
DVD, including the menu, won't turn black after expiration. It can
be filled with lot's of advertising, promotions and other obnoxious
money-making fluff and promotions disguised as additional
'entertainment' that the buyer can play forever.

-Corey-S->