Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Best storage for dvds?

Best storage for dvds?

Brad Demrow

I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new home, I am
interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400). Your suggestions
for making or purchasing storage and information regarding DVD binders
appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

FAQmeister

"Brad Demrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417bc349$0$3644$(E-Mail Removed)
> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
> Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
> regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Brad

Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
either laminated particle board or are really expensive.

A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

luminos

"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clgoh4$k1c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Brad Demrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:417bc349$0$3644$(E-Mail Removed)
>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400).
>> Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information
>> regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> Brad

> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs use
> either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>
> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills will
> produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your own. And
> you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle board shelf.
> --
> Buford T. Justice
> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves. They
are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or three
6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a contemporary
decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

FAQmeister

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:clgoh4$k1c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Brad Demrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:417bc349$0$3644$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new
>>> home, I am interested in options for storing a DVD collection
>>> (>400). Your suggestions for making or purchasing storage and
>>> information regarding DVD binders appreciated. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Brad

>> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
>> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>>
>> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
>> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
>> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
>> board shelf. --
>> Buford T. Justice
>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>>

> I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
> They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
> three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
> contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
shelves.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

luminos

"FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clh3c4$jsu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> "FAQmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:clgoh4$k1c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Brad Demrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:417bc349$0$3644$(E-Mail Removed)

>>> Build your own. All the cases I've seen that are designed for DVDs
>>> use either laminated particle board or are really expensive.
>>>
>>> A trip to Home Depot, combined with very minimal woodworking skills
>>> will produce a nice set of shelves that you'll be proud to call your
>>> own. And you can do it for half the cost of a laminated particle
>>> board shelf. --
>>> Buford T. Justice
>>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
>>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
>>>

>> I just went to Office Depot and bought standard wood black shelves.
>> They are not fun to assemble, but they were quite inexpensive. Two or
>> three 6-shelve units should house your collection, and look nice in a
>> contemporary decor. O'sulliven Rockford collection.

> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
> own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
> shelves.
> --
> Buford T. Justice
> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

The shelves I have can be arranged at any height. However, since there are
six, I have left about 2.5 inches per shelf open at the top to fill the
entire space. If I had totally custom cabinets, I might get one additional
shelf in....or I could simply buy a shelf and add it to what I have.

RnR Lesnar

Here's the one I bought from Bestbuy.com. Its not a bad deal and has a lot
of storage space.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

--
RnR Lesnar
It's True, It's True- Kurt Angle

"Brad Demrow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417bc349$0$3644$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used to have adequate built in shelving. Since moving to a new home, I
>am interested in options for storing a DVD collection (>400). Your
>suggestions for making or purchasing storage and information regarding DVD
>binders appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Brad

Neill Massello

FAQmeister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built your
> own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
> shelves.

If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.

DVDfanatico

Some people have previously posted the suggestion of using DVD sleeves so you
can store hundred's in a very small space.For shelves that store nearly 2000
CD's (I'm not sure how many DVD's that is) check out
http://www.homedecorators.com/search...fication=2&typ
eDefId=1326&definition=1328&sortOption=ourFavorite s

Also check: http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/as249.html

-DVDfanatico

FAQmeister

"Neill Massello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gm6eqe.1krhe516rmy6oN%neillmassello@earthlin k.net
> FAQmeister <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> But isn't there a lot of wasted space because you don't have enough
>> shelves to place them as close together as you could if you built
>> your own? On an average bookcase that can add up to 3 or 4 additional
>> shelves.

> If you really want space efficiency, you have to go with drawers, such
> as <http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo1.htm>.

Those are excellent, but expensive.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

FAQmeister

"RnR Lesnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clh62l$i2j$(E-Mail Removed)
> Here's the one I bought from Bestbuy.com. Its not a bad deal and has
> a lot of storage space.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

Wow, that is a bargain. The last time someone posted a link to a similar
cabinet it was something like $299.