Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD camcorder or MiniDV?

Reply
Thread Tools

DVD camcorder or MiniDV?

 
 
TigerMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
which mpeg2 editors can do that?

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "TigerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:417ac6f4$0$10351$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> Mini DV is better quality than MPEG2. the better quality the master is
>> the better and correct me if I am wrong that mini dv edits with little or
>> no loss. there are mpeg2 editors that retain un-edited portions. mini dv
>> is more precise at cutting

>
>
> This is generally true, however, some of the newer Mpeg2 editors are frame
> accurate: They expand and rewrite the frames of I , B, P in software.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bailey Savings & Loan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
My question is: do these DVD camcorders till have firewire input/output like
mini-DV camcorders?

If they do have firewire, editing video might not be too bad. Quality would
probably not be as good as straight mini-DV format, but certainly acceptable for
many people. If these camcorders lack firewire input/output, I would for sure go
with mini-DV.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
luminos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
The camcorder mentioned by the OP uses USB2.

"Bailey Savings & Loan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news_zed.519902$8_6.501618@attbi_s04...
> My question is: do these DVD camcorders till have firewire input/output
> like mini-DV camcorders?
>
> If they do have firewire, editing video might not be too bad. Quality
> would probably not be as good as straight mini-DV format, but certainly
> acceptable for many people. If these camcorders lack firewire
> input/output, I would for sure go with mini-DV.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
luminos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004

"TigerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417acafc$0$11774$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> which mpeg2 editors can do that?



http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedi...dit_29564.html

Among others.


 
Reply With Quote
 
sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
In rec.video.production Smarty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Your home computer, in order to do good editing on miniDV (tapes) which
: contain avi files, requires quite a bit of disk space for editing, typically
: 50 to 100 GB would be recommended at a minimum, since these files are about
: 22 GB per hour of recording. The home computer needs a fast processor (at
: least a couple gigahertz), a half a gig of RAM or more,

I have only 256Mb memory and 1.4GHz processor. I use Vegas-Video,
VirtualDub, TMPGE, DVD-Lab, Dynapel, CoolEdit, NTrack, and other
software with no problems. However, I don't even want to talk
about disk space.

Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Crowley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
"luminos" wrote ...
> The camcorder mentioned by the OP uses USB2.


Many (most?) camcorders have USB (1 or 2) for transferring
still pictures. Doesn't preclude using Firewire for transfer of
full-frame full-speed video (such as DV).

We're still waiting for a list of camcorders that use USB2
for transfer of DV video. So far, the list is empty.


 
Reply With Quote
 
TigerMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
great, thanks

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "TigerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:417acafc$0$11774$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> which mpeg2 editors can do that?

>
>
> http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedi...dit_29564.html
>
> Among others.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
AnthonyR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004

"nerdz_r_us" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417aca4c$0$14204$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hi Bill;
>
> I am not one of the experts here, not by a long shot. I want to get that
> straight. That being said, I was just in the same situation as you. I
> wanted
> to get a camcorder for family oriented home movies to send back home. I
> went
> to several stores and asked that almighty question "which is better..
> miniDV
> or digital tape?"


Bill, just to interject here...I assume you mean miniDVD as opposed to
digital tape, right?
Because miniDV is digital tape, so that might confuse people.

miniDV (digital tape) is different from miniDVD, these companies don't make
it easy, do they?
LOL

AnthonyR.



 
Reply With Quote
 
AnthonyR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004

"TigerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417acafc$0$11774$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> which mpeg2 editors can do that?
>
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "TigerMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:417ac6f4$0$10351$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>>> Mini DV is better quality than MPEG2. the better quality the master is
>>> the better and correct me if I am wrong that mini dv edits with little
>>> or no loss. there are mpeg2 editors that retain un-edited portions. mini
>>> dv is more precise at cutting

>>
>>
>> This is generally true, however, some of the newer Mpeg2 editors are
>> frame accurate: They expand and rewrite the frames of I , B, P in
>> software.
>>
>>

>
>


I just tried the new Main Concept MPEG PRO Plug v.1.04 in for Premiere Pro,
it's amazing!
It allows you to do frame accurate editing on all types of Mpeg files right
on the timeline, just like it's dv-avi.

But please don't confuse this with the regular, Main Concept Mpeg Plug in
encoder which is just used for encoding the final output to mpeg video from
the timeline, the 2 products are similarly named and can be confused!
It's the $250 Plug in, I am talking about, or more for the HD Version.
There is a demo on their site, it is amazing the editing ability of mpeg in
premiere pro, to bad adobe doesn't include this, maybe in the next upgrade?
Here is the link:
http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_pro.shtml#standard

and demo link:
http://downloads.mainconcept.com/fdl...gprov1.0.4.exe

this has changed how I think about editing in mpeg in Premiere, in fact with
this plug in you can capture directly to Premiere Pro in Mpeg2 from a dv
camcorder or a miniDVD camcorder, and edit in Mpeg2 on the timeline and it
will only render the changes with smart rendering to preserve the quality
and save much time.
Too bad it costs so much as a plug in, plus the price of Premiere pro, but I
suspect with the new Liquid Edition 6 doing native frame accurate mpeg
editing now, that this will become more common.

AnthonyR.





 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Anson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2004
AnthonyR wrote:
> "Ed Anson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Smarty wrote:
>>
>>>Bill,

>>
>>BTW: A miniDV tape contains a DV data stream, not avi files. If you
>>capture the data to a Windows computer, you will most likely store it in
>>an avi file. Other platforms use different file types. But you don't need
>>to worry about that.

>
>
> Ed,
> Are you positive about this? Because reading this forum for a long time, I
> see many posts about this subject and most come to the consensus that when
> you capture with a 1394 dv card, you aren't really capturing, more like just
> transferring the already digital dv-avi signal from tape to the HD for
> editing. The actual capturing encoding is done by the camera chips during
> the initial recording to tape. There is no further converting done when
> capturing( really transferring) to the hard drive.
> But I am only going by the threads I've read on here in the past.


Yes, I'm positive about this. You are correct when you say that the
conversion to digital form is done in the DV camera. You are also
correct when you say that the FireWire just transfers the digital
stream. However, that doesn't mean that the data are stored as AVI files
on the tape.

A DV tape does not have a file structure as such. It simply stores a DV
data stream. AVI is one of several file types that can be used to store
the digital data. I happen to use QuickTime files. Both file types store
the same DV data, and differ only in how it is "wrapped" by the file
format. Both file types can also store different video encodings, but
that's another story.

But (as I said before) this isn't terribly important. Just use whatever
file format your software creates and consumes.


>
> AnthonyR.
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camcorder Battery Find Sales on Camcorder Batteries syipv5cnduziklmcnh3e@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-31-2008 02:07 AM
Find a Camcorder Bag on Sale - Camcorder Bags on Sale syipv5cnduziklmcnh3e@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-16-2008 03:04 AM
Camcorder Accessories To Improve Camcorder Experience syipv5cnduziklmcnh3e@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-06-2008 02:49 AM
DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF Nozza Computer Support 5 12-02-2004 10:06 PM
Create DVD from Camcorder Antoy Computer Support 2 07-02-2004 09:17 PM



Advertisments