Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blank Media "speed"

Blank Media "speed"

Atreju

I posted this a while ago but got no response.
I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.

For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
12x).

Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
others, or is there a genuine limitation?

---Atreju---

Oldguy

Atreju wrote:
> I posted this a while ago but got no response.
> I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
> that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
>
> For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
> recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
> 12x).
>
> Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
> others, or is there a genuine limitation?
>

> ---Atreju---

The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

Atreju

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Atreju wrote:
>> I posted this a while ago but got no response.
>> I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
>> that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
>>
>> For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
>> recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
>> 12x).
>>
>> Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
>> others, or is there a genuine limitation?
>>

>> ---Atreju---

>The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
>can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
>computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
produce several different speed media:
1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
money on some than others.
2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
"guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

---Atreju---

Oldguy

Atreju wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Atreju wrote:
>>
>>>I posted this a while ago but got no response.
>>>I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
>>>that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
>>>
>>>For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
>>>recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
>>>12x).
>>>
>>>Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
>>>others, or is there a genuine limitation?
>>>

>>>---Atreju---

>>The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
>>can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
>>computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

> Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
> produce several different speed media:
> 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
> media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
> money on some than others.
> 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
> hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
> top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
> "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.
>

> ---Atreju---

I can't say about 1), but as for 2) I regularly burn 4x media at 6 or
8x. ^x works every time. 8x works most of the time (but considering it
is cheap media what the heck).

Papageno

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
> media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make
> more money on some than others.
> 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM,
> fast hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
> top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
> "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

Only an insider would know. But from experience in general manufacturing, I
would conjecture that there are really very few different kinds of media
coming from any one manufacturer. It costs more money to make two kinds of
things than to make just one. Meanwhile, it costs no more to make an 8x disk
than to make a 4x, right? Initially there's a higher cost. But manufacturing
efficiencies kick in as volume rises. And this market has been moving FAST.

Now, 4x disks sell for less than 8x disks. But people with older burners
can't burn at 8x, so they don't want to pay more for 8x media. So the
manufacturers could simply take their 8x media and slap a 4x label on the
box. It sells for less, but it's better than letting that sale go to a
competitor. And they're still making money on the 4x disks, right?

As I said, this is conjecture. But this scenario presents itself so often in
manufacturing of all types of goods.

Any disk manufacturer employees out there willing to comment???

Biz

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400, Oldguy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Atreju wrote:
> >> I posted this a while ago but got no response.
> >> I am wondering what exactly is the true implication of the "speed"
> >> that a given DVD media (or CD, for that matter) is.
> >>
> >> For example, I have DVD blanks that are "4X" but I have successfully
> >> recorded on many of them with no problem at all at faster speeds (8x,
> >> 12x).
> >>
> >> Are these speed ratings just a way to charge more for some media than
> >> others, or is there a genuine limitation?
> >>

> >> ---Atreju---

> >The rated speed is the maximum that the manufacturer will gurantee they
> >can be written error free. That has been the "norm" for years in the
> >computer world for certifying magnetic media, such as magnetic tapes.

> Ok but in all practical terms... given that any manufacturer might
> produce several different speed media:
> 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
> media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make more
> money on some than others.
> 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM, fast
> hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
> top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
> "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

Media works similarly to cpu chips or video card gpus. WHereas they test
teh chips to decide whther it will be an AMD 2700+, or a 3100+, depending on
how the chip tests out, same with video gpus within the same chip series.

Do a google search and read about cd media/dvd media write strategies. If
you want to continue to burn the media at higher than rated speeds, good
luck, and expect to start seeing your media unreadable over time.

Electric Fan Club

"Papageno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vnSed.194932$(E-Mail Removed) t...

> "Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 1. Do they really go to the trouble of producing different quality
> > media, or are they, as I indicated earlier, simply trying to make
> > more money on some than others.
> > 2. Given ideal system configuration (ie: fast CPU, plenty of RAM,
> > fast hard drive access, no other programs hogging CPU cycles,
> > top-of-the-line burner, etc.) I suppose that regardless of their
> > "guarantee" the media will burn well at any reasonable speed.

> Only an insider would know. But from experience in general manufacturing,

> would conjecture that there are really very few different kinds of media
> coming from any one manufacturer. It costs more money to make two kinds of
> things than to make just one. Meanwhile, it costs no more to make an 8x

disk
> than to make a 4x, right? Initially there's a higher cost. But

manufacturing
> efficiencies kick in as volume rises. And this market has been moving

FAST.

> Now, 4x disks sell for less than 8x disks. But people with older burners
> can't burn at 8x, so they don't want to pay more for 8x media. So the
> manufacturers could simply take their 8x media and slap a 4x label on the
> box. It sells for less, but it's better than letting that sale go to a
> competitor. And they're still making money on the 4x disks, right?
>
> As I said, this is conjecture. But this scenario presents itself so often

in
> manufacturing of all types of goods.
>
> Any disk manufacturer employees out there willing to comment???

The only problem with this arguement is that the media is encoded with its
rated maximum burn speed. Much burning software will read this and not
allow you to burn faster - at least not easily.

Ian.