Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs.

Converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs.

Wild Coyote

I inquired about this possibility a few days ago. Below is one way.
Since I don't want to purchase that much new software, I am trying a
different method with NeroVision Express 2. Wish me luck.

Converting PAL Video to NTSC (DVD)

Preliminary Notes
1. You can only do the movie portion of the disc. In the case of an
episode DVD, you will need to rip each episode to its own folder).
2. You can put about 160 minutes of video on one DVDR without a
quality loss.
3. Once you rip the title or movie to the hard drive, don't move any
files unless instructed to do so.

Software You Will Need
1. SmartRipper v2.41
2. DVD2AVI v1.77.3
3. TMPGEnc v2.521.58.169
4. TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5.15.49
5. DVD2One v1.4.0
6. About 10GB of free space per hour of video

1. Prepare Folders.
1a. Create a folder called "dvd" (if ripping episodes, it'd be
\episode#\dvd) and then create the following folders in \dvd\:
a. Rip
b. DVD2AVI
c. Tmpgenc
d. Vobset
e. Final
f. Extras

2. Rip the Video with SmartRipper.
2a. Launch SmartRipper and rip the DVD or desired title to \dvd\rip.
2b. Close SmartRipper and move all files except for the vobs
containing the video data to \dvd\extra. Also keep in mind that
sometimes you'll end up with a "vts_*_01.vob" file that is 0 bytes.
You can move that to the \dvd\extras folder too, as well as any other
..vobs that are 0 bytes.

3. Demux the Video with DVD2AVI.
3a. Launch DVD2AVI.
3b. Load the titleset or DVD from \dvd\rip into DVD2AVI by clicking
File > Open and selecting the first .VOB in the titleset and clicking
OK. DVD2AVI should select the rest of the vobs in that titleset
automatically. Review the list to make sure that the vobs you want
demuxed are included, and click OK.
3c. Press F6 to view the file info, and then press F8 to perform a
pre-scale decision on the audio track. This ensures that you get the
highest quality audio in the same size .wav.
3d. Enable Audio > Output Method > Decode to WAV.
3e. Click File > Save Project and save it to \dvd\DVD2AVI (this
creates a .d2v and a .wav file). When it's finished, close DVD2AVI.

4. Convert the Data to NTSC with TMPGEnc.
4a. Open TMPGEnc.
4b. If the wizard doesn't start automatically, click File > Project
Wizard.
4c. In the wizard, select DVD NTSC 16:9 if your original video is wide
screen and DVD NTSC if it isn't. The audio should be set to CBR Linear
PCM Audio. Click Next.
4d. Click the Video Browse to \dvd\DVD2AVI and select the .d2v file
created by DVD2AVI.
4e. Click the Audio Browse and select the corresponding .wav file (it
should also be in \dvd\DVD2AVI). Leave the selections at the bottom of
this display alone and click Next.
4f. Check the Clip Frame checkbox, and then in the resulting display
frame up your video by removing black bars from all sides. Click OK,
which brings the previous dialog back up. At this point, you can
choose whether or not you want to increase the quality setting used by
TMPGEnc. The default is "Motion Estimate Search (fast)" which produces
GREAT video. If you are happy with that setting, just click Next.
However, if you are anal about this you can change it by clicking the
"Other Settings" button and then changing the Motion Search Precision
setting at the bottom of the dialog to a different option, but keep in
mind that anything higher will take twice as long or more to encode,
and there is no real quality increase. After changing to the desired
setting, click OK and then click Next.
4g. The next dialog to be displayed is the bitrate Setting. Leave
everything set to auto, and click Next.
4h. Browse for the output file to \dvd\tmpgenc. Leave the filename as
it is as this will correspond to the DVD2AVI files you specified
earlier for the project. Click save, and then click OK. Encoding will
proceed (this usually takes 1. 5 minutes for every minute of video).
When it's finished, you will have a beautiful NTSC 29. 97 fps .m2v
video file and a corresponding re-encoded .wav file. Close TMPGEnc.
4i. At this point, you can delete the files in \dvd\rip, \dvd\extras
and \dvd\dvd2avi\ if you're running low on hard drive space.
NOTE: If the total of all of your resulting .m2v files (in
\dvd\tmpgenc\) is over 9. 75GB, you've got too much video for one
disc. You'll need to then start the process again eliminating video
from somewhere (figure about 62MB for each minute of video) to bring
that down to 9.75GB or lower.

5. Author and Create the DVD Vobset.
5a. Open TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDVDA).
5b. Click Create New Project.
5c. Click Add File and browse to the m2v file in \dvd\tmpgenc. Select
the title and click OK.
5d. TDVDA will scan the video and then display the Add Clip dialog,
where you can set your chapter points by clicking Chapter Cut Edit (if
you want chapters). After doing that, click OK (do NOT enable the
audio re-encoding option). Click OK.
5e. Rename the track by clicking the Settings button on that track on
the left side of TDVDA (in the chapter list). Do not change any of the
settings there except for the name. Click OK.
5f. After adding all tracks (movies will only have one and episode
discs will have several), click the Create Menu dialog and create your
menu. If it's a movie, I usually choose No Menu from the dropdown.
5g. Click the Output button and specify the output to go to
\dvd\vobset. Click Begin Output and just OK through all of the errors
telling you that it's too big or that it's going to be a nonstandard
DVD. The encoding process will start. When it's finished, close TDVDA.
5h. At this point, you can delete the files in \dvd\tmpgenc\ if you're
running low on hard drive space.

6. Compress and Process the Video.
6a. Launch DVD2One and press the Select button for Source. Browse to
\dvd\vobset and click OK.
6b. Press the Select button for Destination and browse to \dvd\final.
6c. Make sure Copy Mode is set to Full Disc, and the Compression Mode
is set to Variable Ratio. Click next.
6d. Choose which audio tracks you want to include. I would recommend
only choosing one; multiple audio tracks are OK, but at the (high)
cost of video quality. Also, if you specified in TDVDA "no menu," then
you can only choose one. Click Start.
6e. At this point, it will process and compress your vobset to ~4.
25GB, which you can burn to DVD using any DVD-Burning application (I
use Nero 6 Ultra). Congrats! You now have an NTSC DVD!
6f. At this point, you can delete all files except for \dvd\final\ if
you're running low on hard drive space, and then burn the data in
\dvd\final\ to the \video_ts\ folder on your DVDR.
--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Owl Jolson

Wouldn't it be simpler to just use DVDShrink? It's supposed to rip 'any'
region dvd and make it region free. It sure does a bang-up job on the
reigon 1 dvd's that I rip.

"Wild Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> \dvd\vobset and click OK.
> 6b. Press the Select button for Destination and browse to \dvd\final.
> 6c. Make sure Copy Mode is set to Full Disc, and the Compression Mode
> is set to Variable Ratio. Click next.
> 6d. Choose which audio tracks you want to include. I would recommend
> only choosing one; multiple audio tracks are OK, but at the (high)
> cost of video quality. Also, if you specified in TDVDA "no menu," then
> you can only choose one. Click Start.
> 6e. At this point, it will process and compress your vobset to ~4.
> 25GB, which you can burn to DVD using any DVD-Burning application (I
> use Nero 6 Ultra). Congrats! You now have an NTSC DVD!
> 6f. At this point, you can delete all files except for \dvd\final\ if
> you're running low on hard drive space, and then burn the data in
> \dvd\final\ to the \video_ts\ folder on your DVDR.

Justin

Owl Jolson wrote on [Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:27:48 -0500]:
> Wouldn't it be simpler to just use DVDShrink? It's supposed to rip 'any'
> region dvd and make it region free. It sure does a bang-up job on the
> reigon 1 dvd's that I rip.

DVDShrink doesn't convert from PAL to NTSC
READ THE QUESTION.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:15:49 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Owl Jolson wrote on [Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:27:48 -0500]:
>> Wouldn't it be simpler to just use DVDShrink? It's supposed to rip 'any'
>> region dvd and make it region free. It sure does a bang-up job on the
>> reigon 1 dvd's that I rip.

>DVDShrink doesn't convert from PAL to NTSC
>READ THE QUESTION.
>
>snip

NERO worked, but now I have a different title structure. But, it
worked. It took it about 1 hour to rip then build new titles and then
4 hours to convert to NTSC. I am sure I could do a better job next
time, but oh well. It works.

Thank you, many people get region and format confused.

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Bernie Woodham

So, how did the audio come out. Can you do the same in reverse: NTSC to
PAL?

Usually PAL audio tracks are sped up a bit when converted to NTSC, that
is'nt the case with this?

"Wild Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:15:49 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Owl Jolson wrote on [Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:27:48 -0500]:
>>> Wouldn't it be simpler to just use DVDShrink? It's supposed to rip
>>> 'any'
>>> region dvd and make it region free. It sure does a bang-up job on the
>>> reigon 1 dvd's that I rip.

>>DVDShrink doesn't convert from PAL to NTSC
>>READ THE QUESTION.
>>
>>snip

> NERO worked, but now I have a different title structure. But, it
> worked. It took it about 1 hour to rip then build new titles and then
> 4 hours to convert to NTSC. I am sure I could do a better job next
> time, but oh well. It works.
>
> Thank you, many people get region and format confused.
>
> --
> Still Howlin' at the Moon!
>
> Wild Coyote
> wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Wild Coyote

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:15:45 GMT, "Bernie Woodham"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So, how did the audio come out. Can you do the same in reverse: NTSC to
>PAL?
>
>Usually PAL audio tracks are sped up a bit when converted to NTSC, that
>is'nt the case with this?
>

>"Wild Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>>DVDShrink doesn't convert from PAL to NTSC
>>>READ THE QUESTION.
>>>
>>>snip

>> NERO worked, but now I have a different title structure. But, it
>> worked. It took it about 1 hour to rip then build new titles and then
>> 4 hours to convert to NTSC. I am sure I could do a better job next
>> time, but oh well. It works.
>>
>> Thank you, many people get region and format confused.
>>
>> --
>> Still Howlin' at the Moon!
>>
>> Wild Coyote
>> wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Didn't seem to be, but the audio was not separate (And I am getting
way over my head here.)

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Nic

Audio has to have the frame rate adjusted. This can be done using the AC3
file in Besweet/AC3Machine.

Bernie Woodham

Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417a6e98$0$10510$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Audio has to have the frame rate adjusted. This can be done using the AC3
> file in Besweet/AC3Machine.

Wild Coyote

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:48:39 GMT, "Bernie Woodham"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks. I'll have to look into that.
>

>"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:417a6e98$0$10510$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Audio has to have the frame rate adjusted. This can be done using the AC3
>> file in Besweet/AC3Machine.

Nero adjusted the audio just fine. Played great.

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Shinner

Wild Coyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Nero adjusted the audio just fine. Played great.

What version Nero are you using. Have a few PAL DVDs from region 2 that I
wouldn't mind converting. Only way I can currently play them is through the
kid's xbox and it's been acting up lately. Would rather do a conversion,
chuck it in the DVD changer and forget about it.

PAL DVDS and playing them in NTSC PLAYER jeffambrose424@gmail.com DVD Video 4 08-08-2007 12:58 AM
DVDs, Regions, NTSC, and PAL Geoff DVD Video 16 09-01-2006 07:36 AM
Improper framing of NTSC DVDs on widescreen PAL television? Evan DVD Video 4 10-02-2005 09:30 PM
NTSC-PAL-NTSC question You DVD Video 4 12-17-2003 08:40 PM
PAL to NTSC with Adobe Mpeg converter - burning dvds Joan DVD Video 4 09-18-2003 06:51 PM

Advertisments