Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to make "caps" from DVD's?

How to make "caps" from DVD's?

XYZ XYZee

I certainly know how to make vidcaps from videotapes because I've done so in
the past (I have a vidcapping device that I bought several years ago), but I
have to admit that I know nothing about how caps are made from DVD's. Sorry if
this is a bad question here, what is required to make caps from DVD's? I know
at least that one obviously needs a computer, a DVD drive or player, & the
actual DVD's themselves (I have a DVD-ROM drive on my main PC & a very small
collection of DVD's), but do I need to buy or get any other hardware? And what
about software? If I actually need to get any new hardware, then surely the
software that runs it will come with it, but if not, then what software do I
need to get? And can it be downloaded on the 'Net for free? Any advice will
be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wild Coyote

On 18 Oct 2004 22:21:48 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (XYZ XYZee) wrote:

>I certainly know how to make vidcaps from videotapes because I've done so in
>the past (I have a vidcapping device that I bought several years ago), but I
>have to admit that I know nothing about how caps are made from DVD's. Sorry if
>this is a bad question here, what is required to make caps from DVD's? I know
>at least that one obviously needs a computer, a DVD drive or player, & the
>actual DVD's themselves (I have a DVD-ROM drive on my main PC & a very small
>collection of DVD's), but do I need to buy or get any other hardware? And what
>about software? If I actually need to get any new hardware, then surely the
>software that runs it will come with it, but if not, then what software do I
>need to get? And can it be downloaded on the 'Net for free? Any advice will
>be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I use CyberLink's Power DVD. it has a button that captures the
screen. That is the easy part. I would assume that most of the DVD
playing programs have a screen capture into a bitmap file button.

--
Still Howlin' at the Moon!

Wild Coyote
wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

Stewart

are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
static images?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
>static images?

Well, actually, I don't know exactly what they're called, but I just know that
I have a PC that has a DVD-ROM drive and a small collection of DVD's, and what
I want to do is make JPEG (or GIF or BMP or whatever if JPEG isn't possible)
image files on my PC from a DVD by running the DVD on my PC, probably/usually
while the DVD is being paused or "freeze-framed". The only DVD software that I
have is "DVD Player", which came with Windows 98 on my PC.

Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mark W

"XYZ XYZee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>are you referring to 'screen CAPtures'????
>>static images?

> Well, actually, I don't know exactly what they're called, but I just know
> that
> I have a PC that has a DVD-ROM drive and a small collection of DVD's, and
> what
> I want to do is make JPEG (or GIF or BMP or whatever if JPEG isn't
> possible)
> image files on my PC from a DVD by running the DVD on my PC,
> probably/usually
> while the DVD is being paused or "freeze-framed". The only DVD software
> that I
> have is "DVD Player", which came with Windows 98 on my PC.
>
> Again, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have to turn
'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

XYZ XYZee

Mark W wrote:

>You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have to turn
>'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

Thanks, but how do I do that? Do I actually have to open up my PC in order to
do that? Thanks again.

XYZ XYZee

Mark W wrote:

>You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have to turn
>'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

Thanks, but how do I do that? Do I actually have to open up my PC in order to
do that? Thanks again.

FAQmeister

"XYZ XYZee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Mark W wrote:
>
>> You can do this with Windows' own 'print screen' button but you have
>> to turn 'hardware acceleration' OFF on your video card first.

> Thanks, but how do I do that? Do I actually have to open up my PC in
> order to do that? Thanks again.

You may not have to turn off "hardware acceleration" to make this work.
That depends on your video card.

Display whatever it is you want to capture on your screen.
Press "Print Scrn" on you keyboard.
Paste into any paint program, or "Paint" that comes with Windows

If you need to turn off hardware acceleration go to Control Panel,
Display, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot, move slider to None.
--
Buford T. Justice
The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

Mesa Recto Boogie

Just get Power DVD by Cyberlink. It's a full DVD player interface with a
button on the skin that makes screen captures. It's foolproof. just make
sure you know where they're being saved so you can go find them. The print
screen method has a lot of clicking involved. If you want to make more than
3 or 4 caps I would suggest Power DVD.

news:cngln1$pc1$(E-Mail Removed)...