Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Sony DVP-S335 Problems

Reply
Thread Tools

Sony DVP-S335 Problems

 
 
Gareth W Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Can anyone help me please?????

I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00 on
the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit. About
a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but then
froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD again.
Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.

I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.

I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup and
and I still get an error while calibrating. Also, when a DVD is put in and
the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!

Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could be?

Thanks.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pug Fugley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Time to replace it. You can get a much better player for less than $60.


"Gareth W Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9pUcd.674$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me please?????
>
> I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

on
> the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

About
> a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but

then
> froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD again.
> Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.
>
> I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.
>
> I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

and
> and I still get an error while calibrating. Also, when a DVD is put in and
> the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!
>
> Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could be?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
LASERandDVDfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
>I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00 on
>the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.


>I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.


>I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup and
>and I still get an error while calibrating.


On some versions of this player, there is a picofuse that blows which is
supposed to protect the servo DSP for the Precision Drive system. Other
versions of the same series of players don't have picofuses, but the basic
problem and fix are still the same. Usually, in this case, when the picofuse
blows, the pickup gets shorted out.

You can replace this fuse or bypass it after replacing the pickup, but the
problem will only happen again. There have been fixes involving altering the
circuit with different resistors, but it's actually a firmware bug.

The fix is to replace the pickup, if necessary, and then update the player
firmware to the latest version, such as version 1.815.

I was given a couple of DVP-S360 players which have the same problem. The
picofuses blew and the pickups were shorted. Firmware versions for those
players were both 1.345 (if memory serves me).

I have a DVP-S360 that still works perfect, but it's firmware version is 1.815.

Unfortunately, it is more economical to replace the player. Sorry to hear that
you sunk money into it for replacing the pickup.

The newest Sony players, like the DVP-NS575, are actually decent with the
better Precision Drive 3 mechanism, very fast menu navigation and seamless
layer changing, and (finally, for a Sony player) an effective elimination of
their chroma upsampling problems.

In addition to Sony, the only others I'd recommend are Pioneer and JVC. Or, go
with the high end Denon DVD-5900 if you want the very best DVD player on the
market. - Reinhart
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gareth W Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Hi LASERandDVDfan,

Thanks for the reply.

I will be buying a new one, but as I have bought the laser pickup I would
like to have a go at fixing this one also!

Where can I get a firmware update, and how do I apply it?

What are the exact steps to replace the picofuse, and where is it?

Thanks for any help.

Gareth


"LASERandDVDfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

on
> >the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

>
> >I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.

>
> >I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

and
> >and I still get an error while calibrating.

>
> On some versions of this player, there is a picofuse that blows which is
> supposed to protect the servo DSP for the Precision Drive system. Other
> versions of the same series of players don't have picofuses, but the basic
> problem and fix are still the same. Usually, in this case, when the

picofuse
> blows, the pickup gets shorted out.
>
> You can replace this fuse or bypass it after replacing the pickup, but the
> problem will only happen again. There have been fixes involving altering

the
> circuit with different resistors, but it's actually a firmware bug.
>
> The fix is to replace the pickup, if necessary, and then update the player
> firmware to the latest version, such as version 1.815.
>
> I was given a couple of DVP-S360 players which have the same problem. The
> picofuses blew and the pickups were shorted. Firmware versions for those
> players were both 1.345 (if memory serves me).
>
> I have a DVP-S360 that still works perfect, but it's firmware version is

1.815.
>
> Unfortunately, it is more economical to replace the player. Sorry to hear

that
> you sunk money into it for replacing the pickup.
>
> The newest Sony players, like the DVP-NS575, are actually decent with the
> better Precision Drive 3 mechanism, very fast menu navigation and seamless
> layer changing, and (finally, for a Sony player) an effective elimination

of
> their chroma upsampling problems.
>
> In addition to Sony, the only others I'd recommend are Pioneer and JVC.

Or, go
> with the high end Denon DVD-5900 if you want the very best DVD player on

the
> market. - Reinhart



 
Reply With Quote
 
Electric Fan Club
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004

"Gareth W Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9pUcd.674$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me please?????
>
> I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

on
> the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

About
> a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but

then
> froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD again.
> Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.
>
> I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.
>
> I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

and
> and I still get an error while calibrating. Also, when a DVD is put in and
> the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!
>
> Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could be?
>


The clue is in the subject line, where it says "Sony".

One of the plastic lugs on the focus spring has broken. It is a well known
problem with all Sony optical readers and writers. Everybody else uses a
proper spring wothout problems.

The problem can sometimes be temporarily overcome (i.e. until the other lug
breaks) by increasing the focus bias, but you need to find out how to get
into the engineering menu to change this. With the price of DVD players
these days, it's hardly worth the effort.

Ian.



 
Reply With Quote
 
One-Shot Scot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
"LASERandDVDfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<<The newest Sony players, like the DVP-NS575, are actually decent with
the better Precision Drive 3 mechanism, very fast menu navigation and
seamless layer changing, and (finally, for a Sony player) an effective
elimination of their chroma upsampling problems.>>


This correction of chroma upsampling problems is of great interest to
me. Did you discover this yourself, or can you point me to a website
that illustrates the improvement? I just put _North By Northwest_ in the
Sony DVP-NS501P and the scenes which best illustrate the chroma
upsampling problems show great improvement:

At 4:12, the red color from the taxi seat no longer shimmers in the
white glare line at the top of the seat.

At 1:19:00, Eve Kendal's test-pattern dress no longer has that
"corduroy" look and the violet edges which formerly made shimmering
haloes around the edges of the roses, are gone. None of the red colors
shimmers or bleeds as they do on all other players that I have seen.

Thanks for reporting this. It just surprises me that Sony would finally
correct its notorious chroma upsampling problems in an $80 player.

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NS501P from Costco for $79.99. This appears
to be a re-numbered DVP-NS575P, since the PDF manual that I downloaded
from Sony matches the paper manual that came with the player. (Those PDF
manuals are great; you just enter a search word and get to your topic
quickly.) This is my main player which is used to play all DVD rentals
and most of my personal collection. When this player craps out, I will
just buy another one. (Costco will probably do an exchange or refund on
this Sony for up to a year.)

I am very satisfied with this player, but it does have a couple of
strange quirks.

My first NS501 started to occasionally eject discs without placing them
in the dish part of the tray. (The discs would straddle the tray, half
in and half out. The exchange player hasn't done this after 2 months.

In chapter 8 of my first copy of _The Pianist_, the Sony NS501 started
to skip and digitally-block, until it finally locked up, after 30
seconds. I put this same disk in my Panasonic S35S and Sony 550 and it
played perfectly. After obtaining a replacement disk from Costco (I
think that the new disc came from a different pressing, because the
outside cellophane wrapper had different size type) and the NS501 now
plays the same passage perfectly.

There appears to be a time base error (where the video and counter do
not match) in the first 5 seconds of _Foreign Correspondent_. On the
Sony NS501, the counter hesitates and the movie skips ahead 2 seconds,
with a noticeable gap in the picture and sound. (At first, I thought
that this was a problem with the original source material.) However, the
counter error is present on my Panasonic S35S and Sony 550 (the counter
hangs for 2 seconds and then corrects itself) but there is no
interruption of the picture or sound.

Overall, I think that it will be difficult to find an $80 DVD player
that is as good as the Sony DVP-NS501 (DVP-NS575).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gareth W Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Hi Ian,

What exactly am I looking for? Are you talking about the three rubber tube
things that slot into the clasps on the edge of the laser pickup unit?

If not, where can I find them, and exactly how do I solve the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Gareth


"Electric Fan Club" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:41750260$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Gareth W Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9pUcd.674$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone help me please?????
> >
> > I have the above player, and a short time ago it started showing C:13:00

> on
> > the screen while playing a DVD, this was OK after restarting the unit.

> About
> > a week later while 3/4 of the way through a DVD it showed it again, but

> then
> > froze. Not even switching it off and on again worked to play a DVD

again.
> > Now I can't play anything, I just get Insert Disk.
> >
> > I have tried re-calibrating the thing - but I get Error after a while.
> >
> > I have now just (on the advice of a friend!!!) replaced the Laser Pickup

> and
> > and I still get an error while calibrating. Also, when a DVD is put in

and
> > the tray closed, there is a small, quick clicking or ticking noise!
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas what I can try next, or what the clicking could

be?
> >

>
> The clue is in the subject line, where it says "Sony".
>
> One of the plastic lugs on the focus spring has broken. It is a well

known
> problem with all Sony optical readers and writers. Everybody else uses a
> proper spring wothout problems.
>
> The problem can sometimes be temporarily overcome (i.e. until the other

lug
> breaks) by increasing the focus bias, but you need to find out how to get
> into the engineering menu to change this. With the price of DVD players
> these days, it's hardly worth the effort.
>
> Ian.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
LASERandDVDfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
>This correction of chroma upsampling problems is of great interest to
>me. Did you discover this yourself, or can you point me to a website
>that illustrates the improvement?


Re-read it and it's not totally solved. Oops.

Checked out on Hometheaterhifi.com.

Apologies for the error. - Reinhart
 
Reply With Quote
 
LASERandDVDfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
>The clue is in the subject line, where it says "Sony".
>
>One of the plastic lugs on the focus spring has broken. It is a well known
>problem with all Sony optical readers and writers


Except the original poster has indicated that the optical pickup was replaced
with a new one. - Reinhart
 
Reply With Quote
 
LASERandDVDfan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
>What exactly am I looking for? Are you talking about the three rubber tube
>things that slot into the clasps on the edge of the laser pickup unit?


The lug is a support part for the objective lens and is an internal part of the
optical pickup assembly.

However, I've not even heard of the problem being widespread, nor seen it as
often as suggested.

If this is a common problem, then the problem would be manifested in anything
that uses a Sony pickup. A lot of brands have used Sony pickups, both low end
and high end. From "Sing-A-Long" karaoke machines to Onkyo CD players. -
Reinhart
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problems with burning DVD and Sony DVD RW DW Q58A - win XP 5.1 on SOny Vaio VGN BX196VP Massimo MM DVD Video 1 05-19-2006 02:20 AM
Hey, Free Sony PSP. Best thing since sliced bread! It's So easy,and 100% legal! GET A FREE SONY PSP! !!NO CATCH!! Sarah Stewart Computer Support 0 05-08-2005 08:47 AM
SONY F-717 verses SONY CD 505 Matt Digital Photography 3 08-18-2003 12:17 PM
looking for opinions on QUALITY OF PICTURES for Sony S85 vs Sony F717 if any ... alex Digital Photography 2 08-01-2003 10:30 PM
Sony TRV230 vs. Sony TRV245 (UK Models) J.B. Digital Photography 3 07-17-2003 01:03 AM



Advertisments