Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Watching DVDs on a computer monitor

Reply
Thread Tools

Watching DVDs on a computer monitor

 
 
Opticreep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
When I lean back on my comfy computer desk chair, I noticed that my
21" monitor takes up much more of my viewing area that my TV ever
could. Most people seem to take for granted the advantage computer
monitors have over television sets. I usually sit about 20 inches
away from the monitor, and the effective size of the screen is much,
much bigger than what I get sitting 7 feet away from my 35" TV.

In fact, I did some casual calculations... and I *think* that it'll
take a huge 52" TV screen for a viewer sitting 7 feet away to see the
same effective screen size as a person sitting 20 inches in front of a
21" monitor.

Now, a big screen TV has the big advantage of allowing multiple
viewers to watch a movie simultaneously. Without question, big TVs
are better for multiple viewers. But if I'm watching a movie by my
lonesome self, aren't I better off just watching it on a large 21"
computer monitor rather than a medium sized 35" TV set?

For some reason, I've had always been kind of prejudiced against
watching movies on computer screens. But now I'm thinking that a good
computer monitor will always have better image quality than even the
high-end HDTVs out there. And unless I'm watching a movie with other
people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
rather than my 35" TV?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Hanson (MVP+1)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Opticreep wrote in <(E-Mail Removed) >:

>For some reason, I've had always been kind of prejudiced against
>watching movies on computer screens. But now I'm thinking that a good
>computer monitor will always have better image quality than even the
>high-end HDTVs out there. And unless I'm watching a movie with other
>people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
>rather than my 35" TV?


Agreed, if you don't have any friends a computer is a much better
investment than a home theater setup. Get a really nice LCD
screen--the sharp resolution will also make all that anime porn more
fun to jerk off to.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Quantum Leaper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Opticreep wrote:

> Now, a big screen TV has the big advantage of allowing multiple
> viewers to watch a movie simultaneously. Without question, big TVs
> are better for multiple viewers. But if I'm watching a movie by my
> lonesome self, aren't I better off just watching it on a large 21"
> computer monitor rather than a medium sized 35" TV set?
>

I view Movies on my Monitor they look better but TV show look alot better on
the TV than my monitor.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Darrel Christenson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-18-2004
Opticreep wrote:

> And unless I'm watching a movie with other
> people, maybe I'm better off simply watching DVDs on my 21" monitor
> rather than my 35" TV?


Some interesting thoughts, but I'll stick with
my 73" widescreen as well as the 11 speaker
system being powered by my Yamaha Z1 receiver.


drc

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
"Opticreep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> When I lean back on my comfy computer desk chair, I noticed that my
> 21" monitor takes up much more of my viewing area that my TV ever
> could. Most people seem to take for granted the advantage computer
> monitors have over television sets. I usually sit about 20 inches
> away from the monitor, and the effective size of the screen is much,
> much bigger than what I get sitting 7 feet away from my 35" TV.

Get a bigger TV. I have a 20 LCD display on my computer, but I
still prefer to watch movies on my 65 inch widescreen HDTV
at a distance of 8 feet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Opticreep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-19-2004
Darrel Christenson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<B_Wcd.205230$wV.140157@attbi_s54>...
>
> Some interesting thoughts, but I'll stick with
> my 73" widescreen as well as the 11 speaker
> system being powered by my Yamaha Z1 receiver.
>
>



Damn you and your Bush top 0.5% percentile tax cuts!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watching DVDs on laptop Bobby DVD Video 6 10-26-2004 05:12 AM
problem watching dvds richi Computer Support 1 01-20-2004 03:59 AM
Is MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8588 too slow for watching DVDs? Stefan Computer Support 3 07-12-2003 11:08 AM



Advertisments