Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Cheezy Flicks: Any Experience With This Company?

Cheezy Flicks: Any Experience With This Company?

One-Shot Scot

Mission Statement:

"Cheezy Flicks was created expressly for the promotion of a specific
genre of movies - "Cheezy Flicks". By that, we mean the cheeziest films
on the planet - classic, horror, sci-fi, sword and sandal, euro-trash,
you name it. They just have to meet our "cheezy" standards; typically
things like horrible acting, an abysmal story line, and the worst set
props possible will qualify a film as a Cheezy Flick."

OK. So with high standards, such as horrible acting and abysmal story
lines, I was expecting a crapfest of Ben Affleck and Leonardo DiCaprio
flicks. Thankfully, I found none.

But what about this?

"Every Cheezy Flick DVD we release on this site is produced in our own
state-of-the-art, digital post-production and DVD duplication facility
in Portland, Oregon."

So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
Kong_?

Coming In November 2004 - Pre-order Your Copy Today!

The Most Awesome Thriller Of All Time!

Out-leaping the maddest imaginings! Out-thrilling the wildest thrills!

KING KONG

Master showman Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong) has fallen on hard times
due to the depression, and mounts an expedition to the mysterious Skull
Island to find another showpiece. He takes along adventurer Jack
Driscoll (Bruce Cabot) and the down-on-her-luck gorgeous blonde Ann
Darrow (Fay Wray) with him to spice up the show. Arriving on the island,
they discover it is home to gigantic beasts of all shapes and sizes
ruled by Kong, a 30 foot tall gorilla. The natives kidnap Ann as a
sacrifice for Kong, and the other crewmembers head into the dangerous
island interior to rescue her. Beauty and The Beast is much too big of a
story for Denham to ignore so Kong is taken to New York City where is
presented as the "Eight Wonder Of The World". Kong escapes his chains
and takes Darrow to the top of the Empire States Building where one of
the best early special effects battle takes place high above the New
York sky line. In the end beauty kills the Beast. Also known as Beast,
The (1933), Eighth Wonder of the World, The (1933), Eighth Wonder, The
(1933), King Ape (1933) and Kong (1933).

KING KONG - Starring FAY WRAY with ROBERT ARMSTRONG, BRUCE CABOT,
FRANK REICHER and SAM HARDY, Original music by MAX STEINER -
Cinematography by EDWARD LINDEN - Special effects by HARRY REDMOND JR. -
Written by MERIAN C. COOPER and EDGAR WALLACE - Executive producer DAVID
O. SELZNICK - Produced and directed by MERIAN C. COOPER and ERNEST B.
SCHOEDSACK

King Kong Regular price: $24.95 Sale price: $19.99

http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

One-Shot Scot

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

One-Shot Scot wrote:

> So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
> Kong_?
>
> http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

<<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
doing for two years... >>

<<Derek Janssen (I mean, they just woke up one morning and said, "Hey,
what're we thinking?...We could be outsourcing this!") http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>>

Well, whatever. I'm wondering what they are using for source material.
Maybe a LaserDisc?

Warner's been dicking around with the DVD version of _King Kong_ (1933)
for the last couple of years. It seems that every part of the world has
the official studio version of this flick -- except for Region 1.

Sometimes Warner releases a crappy DVD version of a movie and later does
it up brown with a double-disk, ultra-ultra definitive version. Why
can't they do the same with _King Kong_? A crappy version is better than
no version at all.

I'm at the point where I am looking at the offerings on eBay. The Korean
Region 0 version (which looks like it was copied from the German DVD
version, "Der Monster Klassiker King Kong") looks interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...330776828&rd=1

Or maybe the Brazilian Region 0 version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...332017849&rd=1

One-Shot Scot wrote:

> So, can a company in Portland whip up homemade DVDs, such as _King
> Kong_?
>
> http://store.cheezyflicks.com/kingkong.html

<<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
doing for two years... >>

<<Derek Janssen (I mean, they just woke up one morning and said, "Hey,
what're we thinking?...We could be outsourcing this!") (E-Mail Removed)>>

I'm not so sure that Cheezy Flix Entertainment is a bootleg company.
Amazon carries 6 of their titles:

Death at Love House (1976)

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)

Inn of the Damned DVD

Convoy

Dracula Vs Frankenstein (1973)

Blackbeard the Pirate (1952)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...844378-3194216

Derek Janssen

One-Shot Scot wrote:

> <<Well, y'see, they're not REALLY a bootleg site, Warner just thought
> they could do a better restoration job than they themselves had been
> doing for two years... >>
>
> I'm not so sure that Cheezy Flix Entertainment is a bootleg company.
> Amazon carries 6 of their titles:

Amazon is a RUMMAGE SALE. That's how they started out.

> Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)
>
> Dracula Vs Frankenstein (1973)
>
> Convoy

(Of course, the fact that these have already been released by other
companies...)

Derek Janssen (errrrrr...doesn't look so good)
(E-Mail Removed)

Joseph Phillips

Thanks for the post and link to this site. I enjoyed seeing Convoy is
available now. I purchased it about six years ago on VCD from
yesasia.com due it not being in print in the usa on vhs or dvd at the
time.

One-Shot Scot

"Joseph Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

<<Thanks for the post and link to this site. I enjoyed seeing Convoy is
available now. I purchased it about six years ago on VCD from
yesasia.com due it not being in print in the usa on vhs or dvd at the
time.>>

Amazon is asking $19.99 for _Convoy_ and that amount falls short of the
$25 needed for free shipping. And Amazon says "Availability: Usually
ships within 1 to 2 weeks." Cheezy Flicks is currently asking "Sale
price: $17.95" for this title.

I just ordered _King Kong _ (1933) from Cheezy Flicks and selected UPS
Ground, because Portland is a 2-day UPS Ground trip. Oregon has no sales
tax and apparently, the UPS ground shipping is free:

Thank you for your order. Please print this page for your records.

Your order number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ship to One-Shot Scot

Bill to One-Shot Scot

Via UPS Ground Commercial

Item Unit Price Quantity Subtotal
King Kong 19.99 1 19.99
Total Purchases 19.99
Total for Cheezy Flicks Entertainment, Inc. 19.99

I have never ordered from Cheezy Flicks and am anxiously awaiting this
_King Kong_ DVD. If you order _Convoy_ from them, please post your
experience.

kwpan kwpan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Shot Scot View Post
[...]

I bought convoy and just finished watching it good copy but can't understand why they cut out the intervieus with the other drivers while in the convoy in the middle of the movie cheezy flicks site is down so can't even ask them.