Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Television Episodes on DVD - compress?

Television Episodes on DVD - compress?

Atreju

I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.

How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
capacity DVDs?

Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
bit of quality.

The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.

TIA

---Atreju---

Biz

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
> all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
> For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
> sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
> it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
>
> How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
> capacity DVDs?

9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

> Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
> at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
> bit of quality.
>
> The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
> 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
>
> TIA
>

> ---Atreju---

Atreju

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
just 2 episodes?

Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
sacrifices some quality?

---Atreju---

kaydigi

dvdshrink.org. You can remove different audio files and etc... Easiest thing
to use. Watch out for ER i think those are DVD 18, I want to see the
compression to a DVD 5.
"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

> So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
> just 2 episodes?
>
> Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
> sacrifices some quality?
>

> ---Atreju---

Biz

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

> So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
> just 2 episodes?

Most people just buy the boxsets.....try it.

> Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
> sacrifices some quality?
>

> ---Atreju---

OrangeTiger

They use 8.5gb dual layer discs. You can burn those now and the burners are
cheap but the media is expensive and there some compatibility problems
especially with the older DVD players. As others have said, DVD shrink is
the go for compression, quick and easy.

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
> all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
> For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
> sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
> it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
>
> How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
> capacity DVDs?
>
> Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
> at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
> bit of quality.
>
> The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
> 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
>
> TIA
>

> ---Atreju---

Ken Maltby

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:34:45 GMT, "Biz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>9.4gb disks and AC-3 audio, which most home setups dont do themselves

> So how do most people do it? Surely people don't use up 1 disc for
> just 2 episodes?
>
> Any recommendation on software to shrink the files, even if it
> sacrifices some quality?
>

> ---Atreju---

I get 6 episodes per DVD+R, by capturing them
from my DirecTiVo unit, then editing out the
commercials with VideoReDo, and authoring them
with TMPGEnc DVD Author. If that's to much
time and effort for you then you could pay someone
else to have made DVDs of your show. They make
much better DVDs than I can even make. Check
out the Video Stores, or maybe a video rental place
will sell you a pre-viewed set.

Luck;
Ken

Gordon Burditt

>I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
>all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
>For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
>sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
>it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
>
>How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
>capacity DVDs?

My Panasonic E85H DVD recorder (standalone set-top box) claims to
have recording quality settings that allow for 1, 2, 4, 6, or 8
hours on a 4.7G DVD-R disk. I have found the 4-hour mode works
pretty well for off-the-air recordings and transcribing old VHS SLP
(6 hours on a 120 tape) recordings to DVD. The 8-hour mode produced
noticible degradation. 1-hour mode didn't seem much better than
the 4-hour mode. However, don't expect the quality of commercial
DVDs for anything analog received over the air, even if later copied
to DVD. And what I'm recording isn't action sports, where compression
sometimes makes the {ball, puck, whatever} disappear.

>Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
>at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
>bit of quality.

The 4-hour ("LP") setting allows me to fit about 5 1-hour episodes
on one disk, recording to the hard disk first and editing out the
useless bits, leaving about 45 minutes per episode, then transferring
to DVD.

>The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
>350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.

Something doesn't add up here. At 350MB, 46 min long, you should be
able to fit about 13 episodes on a disk. Or they are really getting
expanded while being transcoded to something else.

Gordon L. Burditt

erik

"Atreju" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
> all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?
> For example, when I try to put a show onto DVD, the default quality
> sets it as the whole disc. Even if I reduce it, the smallest I can get
> it is 1/2 a disc. That means roughly 2 hours per disc.
>
> How do the studios get more episodes on one disc? Are they using 8GB
> capacity DVDs?
>
> Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
> at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
> bit of quality.
>
> The ones I have right now are in Divx format and take up approximately
> 350 MB per episode, each approx 46 min long.
>
> TIA

Get a player that can play DIVX/XVID files from DVD disc. It's an optimal
configuration. Then you don't have to do any processing at all. If you want
DVD-Video anyway, you need to re-encode the video tracks. Full DVD
resolution is 720x480 (NTSC), which allows to fit ~ 2hours of decent quality
on 1 4.7GB disc. If you need more, try half D1 (352x480, if I am not
mistaken), or even 352x240. All are standard resolutions for NTSC DVD disc.
Values for PAL are 720x576, 352x576, and 352x288.

Jon Purkey

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:21:39 GMT, Atreju <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've seen whole seasons of tv shows on DVD and they seem to pack them
>all into a few discs. How exactly is that done?

Bigger discs and if I'm not mistaken better compression methods.
Instead of compressing the program from start to finish as consumer
DVD Recorders do, the program is looked at as whole in order to
achieve the optimal compression result. Some of the DVR/DVD Recorder
combos might do this too, but I haven't heard of it?

>Any recommendations would be welcome. I figure it would be nice to get
>at least 4 episodes on 1 DVD (4.7 GB) even if it means sacrificing a
>bit of quality.

I'm finding a Flexible Recording rate of 3 hours per disc gives the
best balance of space vs. quality of the recording. I just set the rec
time to 37.5% of the max/EP available and then stop the recording at
the end of the program. However, depending on what I'm recording and
the length I may adjust that either way to get better quality or more
space.

-
-Jon Purkey - <(E-Mail Removed))