Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Under $150 set top DVD recorder

Under $150 set top DVD recorder

luminos

A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
arrived several months early:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3944%3A62055

luminos

PS

I wish someone in Asia would teach manufacturers how to develop a brand name

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
>arrived several months early:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3944%3A62055

Bill in Co.

Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is too
bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play the
+R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
too.

luminos wrote:
> A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
> arrived several months early:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...cat=62055&type
=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A62055

luminos

"Bill in Co." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dBKbd.4663$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is
> too
> bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play
> the
> +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
> too.

Since I now have access to a large number of players and both -R and +R
discs, I have found absolutely no problems with either format provided the
unit was designed in the last three or so years.

I prefer Pioneer set tops with DVD-VR on DVD-R (-RW) myself, but I simply
point to this iLO (stupid name...probably some transmogrification of iMac)
as meeting the price point criterion.

DVDfanatico

Well,

I like the DVDR-VCR recorders a lot, they make it so easy make copies of tapes.

I have the Go-Video 3930 and it alows 3, 5, or 9 minute automatic chapters when
you make a DVD copy of a VHS taps.

-DVDfanatico

>Subject: Under $150 set top DVD recorder
>From: "luminos" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/14/2004 11:40 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
>arrived several months early:
>

>http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...69&cat=62055&t

ype=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A62055

Robert Morgan

>I wish someone in Asia would teach manufacturers how to develop a brand name

I believe that iLo is a new Wal-Mart in-house marque for discount electronics;
this time, it's a bad name choice by an American company.

Better than calling it "Sam's Choice" I guess.

Dyuob Poltice

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:35:51 -0700, "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bill in Co." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dBKbd.4663$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>> Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is
>> too
>> bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play
>> the
>> +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
>> too.

>Since I now have access to a large number of players and both -R and +R
>discs, I have found absolutely no problems with either format provided the
>unit was designed in the last three or so years.
>
>I prefer Pioneer set tops with DVD-VR on DVD-R (-RW) myself, but I simply
>point to this iLO (stupid name...probably some transmogrification of iMac)
>as meeting the price point criterion.

I do video scrapbooks on +R, and have had zero complaints from
customers. I also run the final copy through several machines around
here, and no problems noted.

Non-Comissioned Yank

I have the iLO myself. Simply because of the price and I had a CyberHome
about a year ago and it sucked! I thought I'd try again, and it was is
great.

The only thing that sucks here is the remote! No zoom, the remote is small,
and therefore the buttons are _very_ small and often 2 buttons end up
getting pushed. Another minus most of the functions, like audio, sub
titles, etc. have to accessed through the setup menu (no buttons on remote),
but it does use the + and VR and will work weith PCs (the CyberHome would
not). Quality is as good as it can be, and overall is an excellent unit. 8
out of 10!!!

--NCY

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill in Co." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dBKbd.4663$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > Interesting that it only does the +R (and not the -R) format. That is
> > too
> > bad. Whoever buys it better be damn sure their other DVD players play
> > the
> > +R disks. I'm assuming that this DVD recorder can be used as a player
> > too.

> Since I now have access to a large number of players and both -R and +R
> discs, I have found absolutely no problems with either format provided the
> unit was designed in the last three or so years.
>
> I prefer Pioneer set tops with DVD-VR on DVD-R (-RW) myself, but I simply
> point to this iLO (stupid name...probably some transmogrification of iMac)
> as meeting the price point criterion.

Jordan Lund

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> A long time ago I predicted under $150 DVD recorders by Christmas. They
> arrived several months early:
>
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A3944%3A62055

While I wouldn't buy a no-name brand... Bi-Mart had a Phillips DVD
recorder for $198 in their ad last week.

- Jordan

LASERandDVDfan

>I believe that iLo is a new Wal-Mart in-house marque for discount
>electronics;
>this time, it's a bad name choice by an American company.

I thought Wal-Mart's brand was Durabrand. I have seen iLo, though.

>Better than calling it "Sam's Choice" I guess.

Or "Great Value." - Reinhart