Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: "The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer?

Re: "The Meaning of Life" Problems with the transfer?

Stan Brown

"Douglas Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Stan Brown wrote:
>> Imagine my surprise to see that, a year after the problem was know, the
>> bad transfer is STILL being sold....I looked at the indicia in Douglas
>> Bailer's article at
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...%40snernce.com
>> and I definitely have the bad one.

>I'm sorry to hear you got a bad copy, Stan, but pleased to hear that my
>post was of use to you in making certain.

Ain't google great? I remembered there had been a thread, and in a
few minutes I was able to find it.

>I hope you get your replacement disc as promptly as I got mine (except
>without the "intervening not-really-fixed disc" stage).

We'll see. It's not terribly urgent to me, since my present player
isn't progressive. I called Monday, and they said it would be two
weeks till I get the envelope.

What's amazing to me is that there's still a dedicated phone number
for this, more than a year later. I'd have thought they'd have done
a redirect by now to a more generic number where I'd have to press a
zillion buttons to get in.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

Eric R.

Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...

> >That is what still stops me from buying it. Every time I see it, I'm
> >tempted to buy it. But I have no idea how to tell if it's a
> >"corrected" version or not (or even if there *is* a way to tell).

> How ironic, then, that you snipped out the part of my article where
> I gave that information.

You mean the link to the message that said "Unfortunately, the
not-really-corrected second pressing and the actually-corrected third
pressing are *both* labelled 'V2', so even that label doesn't
guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc."

Or maybe I should ask the store to let me break the case open to "Feel
the silkscreen art."

-Eric

Jay G.

On 14 Oct 2004 05:47:45 -0700, Eric R. wrote:

> Stan Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)> ...
>
>>>That is what still stops me from buying it. Every time I see it, I'm
>>>tempted to buy it. But I have no idea how to tell if it's a
>>>"corrected" version or not (or even if there *is* a way to tell).

>> How ironic, then, that you snipped out the part of my article where
>> I gave that information.

> You mean the link to the message that said "Unfortunately, the
> not-really-corrected second pressing and the actually-corrected third
> pressing are *both* labelled 'V2', so even that label doesn't
> guarantee that you have a properly-flagged disc."
>
> Or maybe I should ask the store to let me break the case open to "Feel
> the silkscreen art."

You'd have to crack open the case to check for the 'V2' label anyway. So
you could ask to open it under the pretense of looking for that.

Of course, my copy has neither the 'V2' nor the raised silkscreen, yet has
the correct file dates on the disc. So basically nothing short of checking
the disc on a DVD player or DVD-ROM will really confirm what disc you got.

-Jay

Eric R.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (The Intrinsically Flawed Mr. Hole) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> After a whole year the little thread I birthed is still alive, I tells
> ya' I'm a proud Pappa!

I once had a thread stay alive for almost 2 years. But, then again,
the subject line was "Reply if you like puppies."

-Eric

Stan Brown

"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd on
Oct 11 2004:
>Yesterday in Wal-mart I bought the above DVD set for $9.44, not a
>bad price I thought.
>
>Imagine my surprise to see that, a year after the problem was know,
>the bad transfer is STILL being sold. I googled a bit and found a
>full discussion with the 800 number to call for the replacement:
>800-433-4673.
>
>(My current player actually shows no combing on the disc, but I
>looked at the indicia in Douglas Bailey's article at
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...%40snernce.com

>and I definitely have the bad one.

Bailey mentioned two things to look for: files dated 13 Oct 2003,
and flat silk screening with "V2" marked.

"Jay G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Of course, my copy has neither the 'V2' nor the raised silkscreen, yet has
>the correct file dates on the disc. So basically nothing short of checking
>the disc on a DVD player or DVD-ROM will really confirm what disc you got.

I can confirm this too. My disc doesn't say V2 and has raised silk
screening, but today at work I popped it in a co-worker's DVD drive
and the files are dates 13 Oct 2003, which means that it's the good
third pressing even though it looks exactly like the bad first
pressing!

(I got the mailer from Universal today, only a week after I phoned
for it. But I guess I won't send my disc in since it seems I already
have the updated copy.)

So where we now sit is that the only way to tell for sure is to look
at the file dates, unless you have a player that is known to show
the combing on the bad first or second pressing.